Chili

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Chili

Postby Jac » Tue May 24, 2011 7:45 pm

I finally figured out a recipe I like:

2 lbs ground beef
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp salt (if desired)
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 small onion diced
3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
2 16 oz cans of beef broth
1 cup flour or ground oatmeal (I use a coffee grinder)
1 cup whiskey
6-7 peeled whole tomatoes or about half of a large can's worth, finely chopped or crushed. Tomato paste can be substituted if a more tomato flavor is desired.

Place the ground beef in a large sauté pan and cover with all of the onion and whiskey. Add in some of the garlic, black pepper, chili powder, and salt. Brown over medium heat stirring occasionally to keep the meat from sticking until all of the meat is brown throughout (there should be little to no pink if cut open). Drain and place back into the sauce pan or a large pot. Add in the rest of the ingredients except for the flour and cook down. Add in the flour a little at a time stirring constantly until the desired thickness of the sauce is achieved. Goes great over tortilla chips or rice with cheese on top.

I made this in a cast iron Dutch oven with great results. The oven was a campfire version and did not have the ceramic lining that some have.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Re: Chili

Postby silver_fox_rival » Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 am

Glad it worked out Jac! :shades:
silver_fox_rival

Postby Jac » Wed May 25, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks, Fox. I got tired of making marinara sauce so I tried beef stock instead. I think it worked out well. :biggrin:
Jac
The Boss

Postby silver_fox_rival » Wed May 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Jac wrote:Thanks, Fox. I got tired of making marinara sauce so I tried beef stock instead. I think it worked out well. :biggrin:

But you know why it wasn't working out with the marinara sauce, right? The seasoning for marinara sauce has Italian Seasonsings in it. :mockery:
silver_fox_rival

Postby Jac » Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Yes, well, I wasn't trying to make marinara sauce. :mockery:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Jac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:11 am

I added 2 tsp of tomato paste to the last batch I made and everybody loved it. I would highly recommend using it. If the paste is too thick, thin it with about an equal amount of water before adding it to the dish. Add the paste/puree after the beef stock has been added.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Dragynlord » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Being from New Mexico. I go for a green chile stew that's sure to warm you up. This will serve 4.
1 lb stew meat [I prefer buffalo but beef works] cut into bite size chunks
1 med red onion cut into chunks
3-4 garlic cloves chopped
brown these together in large pot with a little olive oil
Add;
1 Tbs ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp oregano
1 Tbs chipotle pepper powder
1 Tbs instant espresso powder
Stir to coat everything
Add 1 quart low sodium beef broth
3 med potatoes cut into bite size pieces. I use yukon gold and leave the skins on.
1/2 c [or to taste] chopped green chile
If needed add enough water to just cover
Simmer 1 hr with lid on then remove lid and continue simmering until starts to thicken [1-2 hrs]
serve with tortillas and grated cheese [ and sour cream if it's to spicy hot :whistling: ]
Know the fear
Do it anyway
Dragynlord
Associate

Postby Jac » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I recently made a batch with a pound of cube steak instead of ground beef that I seasoned with salt, pepper, and my father-in-law's chili powder. I seasoned both sides of the steak and cut it into bite-sized chunks and sautéed it with onion and jalapeño pepper. I then drained and added beef stock, flour, and a can of diced tomatoes along with some more seasoning and cooked it down until it was fairly thick. We think it's the best batch I ever made. :grin:
Jac
The Boss

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am

There's a similar main dish (Jac's OP) that is prepared with the addition of half a dozen chili's that have been cleaned and run through a blender briefly. Also, the meat is fajita style or steak cut into 1-inch cubes. You can sometimes order it in good Mexican restaurants (minus the whiskey component) meaning the cooks are actually Mexican.

It's sometimes on the menu as "Chili con Carne Rojo (or Verde, if you prefer)" or simply "Mexican Steak Rojo" in more Americanized restaurants.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Jac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 pm

I've updated by recipe by removing the flour/oatmeal and beef broth, and going with a roux:

Melt 4 Tbsp butter (1/4 cup) and whisk in 1/4 cup of AP (or bread) flour. Cook for about two minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and whisk in 2 cups of chilled beef broth. Return to medium heat and cook for about ten minutes, whisking frequently, until the roux is tan/light brown. Add to the chili and simmer until the desired thickness has been achieved. If the chili loses too much liquid, add more beef broth.

The longer you cook the roux, the less thickening power it will have, but the more flavorful it will be.
Jac
The Boss

Return to The Iron Skillet