The Bar-B-Q & Grilling Thread

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

The Bar-B-Q & Grilling Thread

Postby PiNK PiPER » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Summertime is of course BBQ season. So what was the best thing you have tried this summer? For me it was corn barbecued with olive oil right on the grill. The olive oil did something to the corn and it caramelized mmm... so sweet.
PiNK PiPER

Re: The Bar-B-Q & Grilling Thread

Postby Adul » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:20 pm

Sounds intriguing, PP. How did you achieve that, if you don't mind me asking? I'm tempted to try grilling corn the next time I throw a garden party for friends. Did you just pour a bit of olive oil on the corn cobs as they were grilling?
Adul
Warden

Postby Jac » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 pm

No, you pour some on and then rub it all over with your hands, Adul; using a towel would just wipe the oil off. I do the same with potatoes before I wrap them in aluminum foil to soften the skin.

We don't grill much, but I like rubbing oil over chicken breasts, then seasoning one side with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, then grilling that using my cast iron grill. As one side is cooking, I'll treat the other side the same way. When they're done, they come out great. I do the same thing with pork chops, except I skip the salt.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby PiNK PiPER » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 pm

They just brushed the olive oil on the corn that were cut in halves. I asked if I could use any oil and I was told that it comes out much better with olive oil.

So what I am planning now is, when my Sister comes back up north to pick the kids up from camp, a BIG BBQ and invite friends up north and have a giant BBQ sleepover.

So tomorrow I will go to our Little Italy and buy a big can of olive oil and fresh herbs. Then I'll go to the dollar store and look to buy some small, tall glass containers and put some fresh herbs in mixed with the olive oil. I'll make a few different flavours and pass them out as party gifts. :goodjob:
PiNK PiPER

Postby Jac » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 pm

You can either brush it on or rub it on. With meats, I use a brush, but I use my hands with veggies (and no, I'm not trying to say anything, so get those thoughts out of your head. :mockery: ) And olive oil is the best because it has flavor, unlike rapeseed (canola) or peanut oils.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Adul » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've once almost set my kitchen on fire when I tried to cook something, that gives you an idea of my level of proficiency in this area. What I'm saying is I can use all the help I can get. :biggrin:

I'll be sure to report back here if/when I've had some grilling work done.

Edit:
Adul wrote:Did you just pour a bit of olive oil on the corn cobs as they were grilling?

Case in point. I've just realized how stupid this question was, especially considering that a few years ago a distant relative of mine severely injured himself doing something almost exactly like this. Come on, brain! :frustrated:
Adul
Warden

Postby PiNK PiPER » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Adul wrote: I've just realized how stupid this question was, especially considering that a few years ago a distant relative of mine severely injured himself doing something almost exactly like this. Come on, brain! :frustrated:

:biggrin: hehehe I didn't think it was when I first read it but know that you have pointed it out id does seem a little silly to pour olive oil over a BBQ :scamper:
PiNK PiPER

Postby Jac » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 am

With oil, you want about enough to just fit into the bottom of the palm of your hand while cupping it - about 2 tsp. Whether you brush or rub, don't grill the corn until your meat is almost done because it won't take long for it to cook. Also, keep a close eye on it and use tongs to pick it up and flip it as each side gets done. You also don't have to cut the cobs in half, but they might stay on the grill better if you do. Basically you want to cook the corn until it's a nice brown, but not black. If you do blacken it, just cut off any kernels if you don't want them: place the cob flat end down on a cutting board and carefully use a knife to slice off the kernels. You can also do that after you cook it if you want to eat them with a spoon/fork instead of on the cob.

Cooking is just a matter of practice, Adul. I picked up more than a few tricks in the past four years that I've been doing it regularly, so feel free to ask any questions you have. :biggrin: The biggest trick to learn is time management: once you decide what you want to cook, set up your actions so that you can do one thing while another is happening. For example: you can grill your corn while your meat is resting. Here's another: the other day I made beans and hash browns. While the beans were cooking in the pressure cooker, I got the hashbrowns started. While they were cooking, I shredded some cheese. As long as you can keep an eye on everything, you don't need to approach cooking as a linear path: look for ways to do two or more things at once and you'll get done faster.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Spirited Treasure » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:24 am

I'll bring the meat.. One of you will have to cook it -s- I don't trust myself around open fires.. I think one needs to be walking for that -g-

Grilled corn on the cob is delicious.. How about grilled fish?
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby Jac » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:12 am

I wouldn't grill fish unless it was cut into steaks like salmon steaks because fish tends to fall apart and can fall through the grill. But season some salmon steaks like I do my chicken and you have a good meal.
Jac
The Boss

Next

Return to The Iron Skillet