Got turkey recipes?

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Got turkey recipes?

Postby fable2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:14 am

Here in USia, we have a quaint tradition. We celebrate the theft of our nation from its native inhabitants by killing and eating turkeys on a holiday, once a year. Turkeys are typically among the leanest of fowl, so they tend to be dry, and frankly, not very tasty. But they're often embellished with stuffing and gravy.

So...this is your chance to tell us how to prepare a turkey, and possibly stuffing and gravy, too! I'd like to know what works for you, and what doesn't. Have at it. :)
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Re: Got turkey recipes?

Postby Jac » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:36 am

Last year we dry brined our turkey and it came out great. Basically you rub in 1 Tbsp of salt per five pounds of turkey three days before cooking and refrigerate it in a re-sealable bag, rubbing the brine around once a day. Step-by-step instructions.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby fable2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks, Jac. That's a tough one for us. We're strictly very low salt--both by preference, and by heart disease. That said, I'm wondering if doing that with garlic in water or garlic and onion in water wouldn't work as well.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Jac » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:02 pm

The salt shouldn't penetrate past the skin, Fable, so you should just be able to cut it off before you eat it. I do the same because of preference and health (I have borderline hypertension and I'd rather not go on any more medication). I don't know if garlic and onion would do the same because salt pulls out the proteins and, given time, will deposit them on the surface. Worth a try with a small turkey I guess. :shrug:
Jac
The Boss

Postby fable2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Interesting. Thanks. Not sure what we'll do, but I appreciate the advice. My wife's a big Thanksgiving dinner fan, since her family celebrated it all the time when she was growing up. And fresh turkey, with stuffing and gravy...? You'd have to be crazy to turn that down. :)
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Jac » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:57 am

We're coming to your house this Thanksgiving, Fable. :mockery:
Jac
The Boss

Postby tealpanda » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am

The recipe I use is simple. Put a washed, well-thawed turkey in a roasting pan, cover with a lid. Set the oven temperature and time according to the package directions.

After the first 30 minutes, take a stick of butter and rub it all over the top of the turkey, like using a crayon. Repeat every 30 minutes until you finish the stick (should be about 4 times). After that, baste every 30 minutes. The last 20 minutes of baking, take the lid off.

The drippings from this make really tasty gravy, especially with some white wine added.
tealpanda
Journeyman

Postby fable2 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:31 am

We tried basting the turkey (with skin on) using garlic in oil. It didn't work. Next time we'll heat the oil to spread the garlic flavor in advance, and remove the turkey skin, which we'll keep inside the bag with the turkey.

So, the experiment didn't work, but there's time for more. Meanwhile, the stuffing was moist, and the gravy was good. The turkey was from an medium-sized Amish corp here in Ohio, Gerbers, which has free-range turkeys and chickens. I honestly can't tell the difference, but I suspect the bird is happier, and that it won't weigh against us when Maat's feather is put in the scales against our hearts after death. Or something. :writing:
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Elaura » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 pm

tealpanda wrote:The recipe I use is simple. Put a washed, well-thawed turkey in a roasting pan, cover with a lid. Set the oven temperature and time according to the package directions.

After the first 30 minutes, take a stick of butter and rub it all over the top of the turkey, like using a crayon. Repeat every 30 minutes until you finish the stick (should be about 4 times). After that, baste every 30 minutes. The last 20 minutes of baking, take the lid off.

The drippings from this make really tasty gravy, especially with some white wine added.

We owe you so much for this, tealpanda! This is exactly how Jac made our turkey this year and it was absolutely perfect! It was his first Thanksgiving that he got to be in charge of the kitchen and it was a roaring success. The leftovers are flying out of the fridge! It was particularly special because my stepfather, who is very ill, got to share it with us and he has been Jac's cooking mentor. He said he'd never seen a prettier bird that tasted as good as it looked. High praise from a man who has been cooking for at least 60 years. Blessings to you, tealpanda, thank you.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby tealpanda » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:33 pm

We owe you so much for this, tealpanda! This is exactly how Jac made our turkey this year and it was absolutely perfect! It was his first Thanksgiving that he got to be in charge of the kitchen and it was a roaring success. The leftovers are flying out of the fridge! It was particularly special because my stepfather, who is very ill, got to share it with us and he has been Jac's cooking mentor. He said he'd never seen a prettier bird that tasted as good as it looked. High praise from a man who has been cooking for at least 60 years. Blessings to you, tealpanda, thank you.

Aww, you made me blush. :-D

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe!
tealpanda
Journeyman

Next

Return to The Iron Skillet