Amazingly Awesome Artisan Bread for almost No Effort

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Amazingly Awesome Artisan Bread for almost No Effort

Postby Dragon Wench » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:40 pm

A number of years ago a recipe in the NYT for no-knead bread went viral... I found out about it last winter, but for reasons I'm still not sure of I couldn't make it work. Then I recently revisited the idea and determined that my problem arose from my initial water vs flour ratio.. my resulting mixture was unfathomably dry. A few days ago I watched the video below and noticed that the baker's starting dough was much more liquid than mine.. so I tried again, adding water until my ingredients had a similar porridge-like consistency. In all I added somewhere between an extra 1/2 to 3/4 cup water.
If you try this, you may well be fine, as no doubt people here know when baking (especially when yeast is involved) mileage varies widely.

If you like extraordinary bread similar to that found in expensive high-end bakeries.. but have a schedule, don't live near a good bakery, or you don't want to put in the money, time or kneading effort.. this is for you. It produces an exceptional, crusty, chewy, blissful, soul-satisfying bread. And, it's so easy, it almost feels like cheating. :whistling: All it really takes is a bit of planning because it initially rests about 18 hours.

Here is the recipe page and accompanying video (definitely worth watching):
http://www.breadtopia.com/basic-no-knead-method/

Here is the recipe itself, my notes are in italics:

Ingredients:

*3 cups bread flour (the above video used 1 cup (5 oz.) whole wheat flour and 2 cups (10 1/2 oz.) white bread flour

*1/4 tsp. instant yeast

*1 1/2 tsp. salt (to taste, I actually use 2 tsp.)

*1 1/2 cups purified or spring water

Method

*Mix together the dry ingredients.

*Mix in water until the water is incorporated.
Cover with plastic and let sit 12-18 hours. (I find that a closed, and obviously off, microwave is perfect. I suspect that a gas oven, because of the pilot flame, would also work well, might try that next)

*Follow video instruction for folding.

*Cover loosely with plastic and rest for 15 minutes.

*Transfer to well floured towel or proofing basket. Cover with towel and let rise about 1 1/2 hours. (I suggest a piece of floured parchment paper for it to sit on, and to cover it, a well-greased piece of plastic wrap)
(note: Instead of the somewhat tricky process of transferring the extremely sticky risen dough to the destination baking receptacle, I advise carefully lifting it up while it is still on the paper and placing the whole lot, paper included, into the pot, just make sure you have trimmed the edges of the paper so none stick out of the pot. Also, be sure to remove the plastic wrap!)

*Bake in covered La Cloche or Dutch oven preheated to 500 degrees for 30 minutes.

*Remove cover; reduce heat to 450 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes.

*Let cool completely on rack. (at least an hour, if you are able to restrain yourself and succeed in waiting that long)

*Consume bread, be happy.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe:
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion;
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.
Dragon Wench
Journeyman

Re: Amazingly Awesome Artisan Bread for almost No Effort

Postby DARoot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm

This is Great, Dragon Wench!

".. blissful, soul-satisfying bread. And, it's so easy, it almost feels like cheating..."

Oh, you know what it takes to get me goin' ....
:bouncy: :biggrin: :bouncy:
DARoot
[You should get together with Kagz, who recently released some new bread mesh resources for Morrowind].
DARoot

Postby Dragon Wench » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 pm

DARoot wrote:This is Great, Dragon Wench!

".. blissful, soul-satisfying bread. And, it's so easy, it almost feels like cheating..."

Oh, you know what it takes to get me goin' ....
:bouncy: :biggrin: :bouncy:
DARoot
[You should get together with Kagz, who recently released some new bread mesh resources for Morrowind].

I should have realised that around here somebody would find a way to corrupt my perfectly innocent post (*sniff*) , and that in all probability it would have been you. :-P :mockery:

Hmmm... not sure how my baking bread would intersect with Morrowind bread, unless photos were needed??? I know almost nothing about modding... :crying:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe:
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion;
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.
Dragon Wench
Journeyman

Postby Jac » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Should be just a photo, DW:

Also if folks are taking pics of food, try to take it from directly above looking down, onto the surface, with good light as possible. This makes the mapping easier to do.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Return to The Iron Skillet