Light brioche burger buns

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Light brioche burger buns

Postby Dragon Wench » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am

There are no good bakeries in my current area, which means that I do a lot of baking myself. We really like different types of burgers... ranging from bison to pork to turkey.. with various themes. But the problem has often been.. the bun. Most bought buns are either too soft and ultimately don't hold the burger, or in some cases they are too hard and crunchy, which makes for difficult eating. Equally, most bun recipes I've tried have yielded similar results.. until I found this... I've made them twice now, and they are fantastic. These are really easy, and don't take all that much active time, they pretty much bake themselves. You just need to be at home for a few hours, and you can do other things while they are rising.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/ ... rger-buns/ (make sure you click on the link, very nice, helpful photos)

Light Brioche Burger Buns
Adapted from Comme Ça restaurant in Los Angeles, via the New York Times

Go! Make these! What are you waiting for?

Makes 8 4 to 5-inch burger buns

3 tablespoons warm milk
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar (You can cut this back to at least 2 Tbsp. I plan to try using just 1.5 Tbsp sugar next time)
2 large eggs
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (instead of the 2 different flours, I used 3 1/3 cup unbleached organic flour and it worked great, regular unbleached should work fine too)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (If you don't have unsalted butter, just omit the listed salt above)
Sesame seeds (optional)

1. In a glass measuring cup, combine one cup warm water, the milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about five minutes. Meanwhile, beat one egg.

2. In a large bowl, whisk flours with salt. Add butter and rub into flour between your fingers, making crumbs. Using a dough scraper, stir in yeast mixture and beaten egg until a dough forms. Scrape dough onto clean, well-floured counter and knead, scooping dough up, slapping it on counter and turning it, until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. The dough will be on the sticky side so it can be a bit messy, but keep in mind that the more flour you knead in, the tougher the buns will get. Try to leave them tackier than you would a round loaf.

3. Shape dough into a ball and return it to bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, one to two hours. (In my freaky, warm apartment this only took an hour.) (DW's note: one hour was fine for me too, ditto with the second rise)

4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using dough scraper, divide dough into 8 equal parts. Gently roll each into a ball and arrange two to three inches apart on baking sheet. Cover loosely with a piece of plastic wrap lightly coated in nonstick spray and let buns rise in a warm place for one to two hours. (Again, this only took one hour in my apartment and I suspect, you’ll also only need an hour for a second rise.)

5. Set a large shallow pan of water on oven floor. Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in center. Beat remaining egg with one tablespoon water and brush some on top of buns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Bake, turning sheet halfway through baking, until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe:
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion;
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.
Dragon Wench
Journeyman

Re: Light brioche burger buns

Postby Elaura » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:41 pm

This on eis definitely going on the top of my step-dad's bread recipes to try stack.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Return to The Iron Skillet