Sister's Simple Regular German Recipes

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Sister's Simple Regular German Recipes

Postby Sister » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:08 am

Thought a moment over, what I could take you under (today I serve one of my favorites: ox tongue) but I think, Germany has many simple, delicious and also cheap recipes that could worth a try in other countries. Today it's

Eggs in mustard sauce sweet and sour

This is usually served with mashed or just salt potatoes. You can mostly make it from your stock, all you need is:

Butter (2 1/2 Tbsp - about 100 gr - for two to three persons)
Flour (1 Tbsp for three persons)
Milk (half a small cup - 100 ml - for three persons)
Water (1 cup for three persons)
Sugar
Vinegar
Mustard (3 Tbsp - about 150 gr - for two to three persons)
Salt
Capers if you like them (I love those little buds)
Eggs and potatoes you think you need for the persons you serve (and count the butter and flour the way you need it)

If you think the dish is too fat because of the butter, you also may take something else for fat in the mashed potatoes or serve just salted ones. The sauce is best with butter but you may also take your favorite frying fat (oil isn't that tasty).

Cook 2-3 eggs for each person you want to serve they way the want they eggs (hard or soft-boiled). Peel them when chilled.
Peel and cook potatoes in water.
When ready, salt the potatoes and rice them to a mush. Add a tablespoon butter, half a small cup milk and whisk the mush until smooth. Salt it to your taste.
Put the 1 1/2 Tbsp butter in a small wide pot. Melt it and when it begins to fry add the flour. Whisk it very quickly, so it doesn't burn and there are no blobs around. The flour should stay light yellow. Add the cup of water and don't stop whisking while the sauce becomes thick. Add the mustard. Season with sugar and salt (and maybe some herbs you find like persley and pepper) until you get a rich, tasteful sweet and sour mustard sauce you like (use vinegar, if it isn't sour or intense enough for you). Add capers, if you like them.
Put the eggs in the sauce so they become warm again.
Put the potato mush in the middle of a plate and make a hole in the middle so it looks like a birdie's nest. Place the eggs in it and baste it with the sauce.

Yummy!

Variations: You can use poached eggs for it or make the sauce with bacon.

Image Image
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Title: laboratory animal

Re: Sister's Simple Regular German Recipes

Postby Elaura » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:49 am

Oh boy! I LOVE authentic German food! Thank you for sharing, Sister. I am looking forward to trying this.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Sister » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:20 am

Oh, Elaura, I'm glad you like it! I will post more German recipes here.

Rouladen / Beef Rolls German Style

German roulades have a very typical cut and filling. The cut is the same it would be for a schnitzel (gammon slipper - pork or veal) but is thinner and larger (because an ox is larger than a pig of course :D). One roulade weights around 150 - 200 gr (~ 6 oz). This is the typical cut. The unfilled and the filled piece are both called roulade because the cut is unique. You usually serve one or two for each person, depending on size and appetite.

The classical filling is onion, pickled cucumber and bacon on a layer of mustard. You can use back bacon, streaked bacon or even ham if you want. This is a variation you can decide just for you.

For 4 persons you need:

6 roulades
6 pickled cucumbers as long and thick as your index finger cut into halves or quarters
5 onions, 4 cut in quarters, 1 cut into little cubes
Bacon or ham, 12 slices or gauged in pieces
Mustard (if you don't like mustard you can use ketchup or tomato paste)
Salt and pepper, seasoning you like (a steak seasoning maybe?)
Beef or vegetable broth, mildly salted, about 600 ml (~ 2 1/3 cup) - leave the 1/3 cup on the side, chilled
1 heaped teaspoon starch
Tooth sticks or cooking pins

Season the roulades with salt and pepper (and maybe some seasoning you like) on both sides. Lay the roulade before you that the smallest end points towards you. Spread mustard (or ketchup or tomato paste or a mixture of them, you also may mix mustard and ketchup) all over the meat. If you use ham or bacon slices, place them onto the mustard. Place 3 quarter of onions, one cut cucumber and bacon (if you use that) at the small end, that points to you. Then - by taking care that nothing falls out the sides - roll up the beef with the filling. Fix it well with tooth sticks or cooking pins and lay them aside (you can also make them the evening before).

Take a casserole put a little fat in it and fry the last onion until it's nice brown. Stir the broth to it and wait till it cookes well. Place the roulades in it and let them stew for at least 1 1/2 hour. Pour some water or unsalted broth into the pan, when the liquid is boiled down. Turn the meat rolls from time to time.
This part is my own experience, I always succeed with it. But a german cookbook would tell you the following:
Fry the roulades in the fat and flip them until they are brown from each side. Take them out of the pan and stir the broth in it. Wait until it cooks again and place the roulades in the pan again. I don't do it that way because it dries the beef. To get a brown, tasty sauce, it is enough to roast the onion. But you can do it the way that applies more to you.

When done, take the roulades out of the pan and lay them aside. Stir in the starch in the left-over broth until there are no globs left. Whisk it carefully into the cooking liquid until it thickens. Place the roulades in the sauce until served.

The picks and pins are usually removed by every guest themself. For kids it should be better you take care of that.

Roulades are usually served with potato dumplings and sweet-sour red cabbage. The recipes for the cabbage will follow tomorrow ;) For dumplings I use a very good premade dough made half from cooked and half from raw potatoes.

A picture of my own roulades.
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby DARoot » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Thank You, Sister! [tried your eggs in mustard sauce today].
This is (these are) really quite good, and very easy!
Your recent rouladen look good too!

And your included images are a really nice touch --
[Err, one might even say, quite professionally done ... You might want to seriously consider starting your own Recipe Website somewhere/sometime, if you enjoy doing this sort of thing. I'm sure it would be well-received. Just don't stop sharing with us.]

DARoot
Don't suppose you have a recipe for Saumagen that you'd care to share?
Or Königsberger Klopse? (capers!)
Or Kartoffelpuffer? (my favorites!)
DARoot

Postby Sister » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Königsberger Klopse I had in mind for today but skipped it. I will provide it here soon. Kartoffelpuffer is a very good idea, I will also write it down here, I promise.

Saumagen, good idea!
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Sister » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Kartoffelpuffer / Potato Pancakes

This is a dish you can serve sweet (with sugar and apple puree) or spicy. I will give you both variations. They are actually different to the famous Switzerland Rösti.

You need for two persons:

Potatoes, the bigger the better, because you need to grate them (~ 400 gr-500 gr ~16 oz)
1 heaped tbsp flour
1 egg
1 pinch of salt and one of sugar

for the spicy ones also:
1 onion cut into fine cubes
1 pinch pepper
1 pinch nutmeg

Peel and grate the potatoes quite fine. My father always says that Kartoffelpuffer are not right, if you don't have at least one bloody fingertip. In times of modern kitchen machines I had no bloody fingertip anymore :)
Add the spices, flour and the egg and whisk everything until blended (you can also put all ingredients in your kitchen machine). If you make the spicy ones also add the finely chopped onion and the rest of the spices.

Heat a good pan and pour oil in. It should be very very hot. Add two to four spoons of dough into the pan and take care that they don't touch each other. Fry it until the edges become brown and flip them carefully. Fry the second side until golden brown. If you don't serve each one immediately (and eat yours while frying), lay them onto a plate and keep them hot.

Serve them with apple puree and sugar.

Image Image

The spicy ones decorate with fresh cheese and salmon or roastbeef and watercress. Also salmoncaviar is very good, ham and horseradish or simple crabmeat is also very tasty.

Image Image
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby DARoot » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:46 am

Perfect! Danke schön, Sister!
I'm making those tomorrow!
[Today is "football day," so it's delivery pizza and beer for me today]

DARoot
DARoot

Postby Elaura » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:33 pm

It's been so long since I've had potato pancakes! This is great, Sister! I agree about the pictures; they make me want to go and make every dish right now. The links to the explanations or very helpful, too. Professional is a good word to describe it. There is a woman here is Oklahoma who has gotten international renown with her Blog/cookbook. You could do that, if you wanted to.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Sister » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Well... I got a homepage. Not about cooking this way I posted it here... erm *blush* Of course it is in German, so it won't be very helpful to you. My father and me are collecting old cookbook. The timetable reaches from 1731 to 1950.

Elaura, would you please post this cookbook blog?
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Jac » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 pm

The Pioneer Woman. She's on Food Network here in the states now.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Next

Return to The Iron Skillet