TESO. I'm Scared.

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

TESO. I'm Scared.

Postby Nhog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 pm

TESO. The Elder Scrolls Online. Is anyone else blanching with terror at this string of words as much as I?

When Warcraft III came out, I got psyched and spent months constantly checking out the associated websites for new information. After the expansion, as the game became a "done deal," we started wondering about where the story would lead from there - Arthas was the Lich King, the Horde rebuilt itself in Kalimdor under Thrall, and so-on so-forth. Then the discovery: World of Warcraft. The story I waited with baited breath for, and they made it into an MMORPG. It would cost a monthly fee of $15, and as the responsible pain-in-the-guar my parents raised me to be, I bought all my games from my own pocket. $15 a month rendered it inaccessible to me, as well as forcing me to play with hordes of others -- too much for a shy, innocent little fox (okay, so not innocent at all.) I can't enjoy my refuge from mortality when it relies so heavily on sharing with the same things I doubt to escape.

What's this got to do with TESO? Denial of what I held my breath for, yet again. All of Tamriel is going to be open to us. Along with griefers and trolls. An epic adventure is beginning, but exploration bound to a need for leveling or "unlocked areas" will deny role play until we're strong enough to begin playing the game "our way." Completion of quest-lines will determine how open this "open world" game becomes. There will be no more mods, and poor encounters with underpaid or uncaring moderators will once more reduce me to a fox hiding in its den.

I've been torn on TESO, because I fear it will rend-free the things which so powerfully drew me to The Elder Scrolls. Am I naive, consumed by imaginary phantoms, or do others share the same sentiments?
~Nhog
Nhog
Associate

Re: TESO. I'm Scared.

Postby neildarkstar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Personally, I've no intention of playing TES online. I love Morrowind, truly enjoyed Oblivion, and I'm even managing to enjoy Skyrim, but... None of these games are, in my opinion, worth playing unmoded. That's why I don't own an Xbox (or any such critter), and have no intention of getting one until I can use one for modding.

The last time I played online was Diablo, and after a day with a teenager who owned an ego the size of Brooklyn, and a 7 year old, I never played MMORPG again. No Call of Duty, No World of Warcraft, and therell be no tesonline either. It's just not worth the hassle to me. vanilla games with strict guidelines to prevent kiddies from adult encounters, ugly vanilla bodies with dirty brown underwear, unimaginative or mundane clothing and armor, mediocrity in all things as a matter of course... Why bother? Networking computers to play with friends is fine, or private servers like Battlefield 1942 for multiple online players is great, because it's by invitation only.

Besides, modding is more fun than playing most of the time. Just my opinion, for what its worth, eh?
:biggrin:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby fable2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 am

Like Neildarkstar, I haven't the slightest interest, so why should I be afraid? Most MMORPGs are in essence very similar, so it's rather like playing endless HOGs but with the extra sweetness of knowing you're up against trolls, cheaters, and the general horde of humanity. Not to mention crashing servers. What fun.

Each to their own, and if people want them, more luck to them. But I'd just as soon continue to play either singleplayer games--which are still quite challenging, although we've been told they're dead for the last 10 years--and direct one-on-one competitions.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Nhog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:44 am

Do you guys not believe, then, that Bethesda will go the route of Blizzard and shift all their focus on churning out years worth of expansions and patches for TESO? Essentially, Skyrim will be the last single player TES game we'll ever lay eyes on? This is where my fears come into play. While Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim -- and even Arena and Daggerfall, certainly -- have been a source of great glee and mayhem, Bethesda's offline focus definitely held my attention for years. Daggerfall and Arena weren't so quite modifiable (to my knowledge, anyway), but still fun. I'm going to miss speculating on what they'll come out with next.

And I apologize for the dramatic tone to my posts. I just read through them and realized it looks like I'm auditioning for TES: The Soap, or something. XD
~Nhog
Nhog
Associate

Postby Adul » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:37 am

MMO's are a guilty pleasure for me, because I detest many of the staples of the genre (like level-locked areas, monster respawn points, forced multiplayer, micro-transactions, and uh, other players) and yet somehow I periodically find myself playing one of them.

That said, I'm not that interested in TESO, nor do I think I will shell out the monthly fee to play it. Perhaps it's just that I got the wrong impression, but as of now it seems to me that nothing in the game resembles the TES I care about in any way. Maybe somewhere down the line, when the game inevitably switches to the free-to-play pay-to-cheat business model I will indulge my curiosity and see if I got the wrong idea.

As for whether or not Bethesda will stop making single player games, I sincerely hope not. Even though their past games were varying in quality, even the least great of the bunch were fairly decent. Not to mention the greatest, which will undoubtedly supply me with a lifetime's worth of fond memories.
Adul
Warden

Postby tealpanda » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 am

I used to be totally against MMO's. Star Wars the Old Republic (SWTOR) is the first one I've really played. I was concerned about many of the same things you mention about TESO, Nhog, but it mostly hasn't been a problem. With general chat turned off, on a player vs. environment (PVE) server, I rarely even notice the other players except in towns. Griefers can't touch me in PVE and trolls mostly just shout in general chat, so I don't see it. The game has become a fun thing to play with a group of folks I know in real life.

I don't know how much of the other problems will plague TESO. I hope that with a subscription-based game there would be more incentive for developers to fix things that aren't working right, as well as having sufficient bug reports from which to work. Having areas locked until you reach a certain level might have actually benefited some of the older TES games - they had to resort to un-pickable locks to prevent entry.

Also, the prospect of Morrowind rendered on a modern engine fills me with childish glee. There have been many occasions when I've looked at the SWTOR's meshes and contemplated how I'd combine them to make a part of Morrowind. The sight of blue glowing mushrooms in SWTOR fills me with a homesickness that is on one level ridiculous, and on another it's a statement about video games being a true art form. I've thought about how much I'd enjoy having real hotbars for all my spells in Morrowind, something that an engine like SWTOR handles with ease. Force lightning vs. daedra...just beautiful. Fast travel to specific points using a cooldown system, animated travel to other areas, passive wildlife, a solid crafting system - these are all things that modders have tried to add to the older games and that could be built into an MMO.

The lack of mods will sadden me greatly, no getting around that. They are a significant part of what made TES games go from an 'ok play through once or twice' kind of game to something I still enjoy playing 10 years later. I hope that the devs have learned from the community about what kinds of things are important to their fan base. Things like new outfits, monsters, quests, and areas to explore are a major benefit of mods that an on-going subscription game can't live without anyway. It's the other mods - the tweaks, the unofficial patches, scripted spells, new dialog, etc. that will be truly missed.

So I guess I'm leaning towards cautious optimism. :oblivongate:
tealpanda
Journeyman

Postby Spirited Treasure » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 am

I am not planning on playing this either. -shrug-
I've never been interested in MMO.
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby fable2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Nhog wrote:Do you guys not believe, then, that Bethesda will go the route of Blizzard and shift all their focus on churning out years worth of expansions and patches for TESO? Essentially, Skyrim will be the last single player TES game we'll ever lay eyes on?

I can't put my hands on the sources right now, but their PR department boasted of record earnings after Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim each came out. I think it's safe to say that whatever concerns one may have with aspects of any given Bethsoft product, they'd have to howling idiots to drop all this while making yet-another-MMORPG in a world stuffed to the gills with MMORPGs. Their history alone shows that they're not the kind of company that puts all its eggs in one basket. They maintain focus, but they diversify among several products to keep their asses covered.

As long as they can justify the expense in resources to produce singleplayer RPGs, they will continue to do so. And their financial bottom line is very good, there. They're as likely to drop singleplayer RPGs now as I am to wake up tomorrow with full knowledge of every language every spoken by humankind.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Adul » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:41 pm

My curiosity had gotten the better of me and I bought TESO, even though I have watched a lot of beta videos and at this point I'm fairly certain it's going to be a bad game. What can I say, I want to see the latest Bethesda-sanctioned interpretation of the land of Morrowind. :unsure: Don't know how long I'll stay with it, but I doubt I will pay the subscription fee for any longer than the first two months (if there's even gonna be a sub fee at that point).

Below is a fairly detailed 3 part first impressions video that SorcererDave has made. He has evaluated the first portion of the game from the viewpoint of a long-term TES fan and Morrowind enthusiast. Let's just say he isn't impressed. Take a look:

Link to the playlist with the other two parts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... GaxLQshA4U
Adul
Warden

Postby Dlichnum » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:04 pm

I played the beta. I loved the game. It definitely seems like something i can roleplay in, and I'm psyched to see all of the new zones I haven't been able to go to before. (I'm of the mind the Morrowind effectively retconned the previous games so much that they're in a completely different world. So yes, this would be the first time I can really see high Rock!). I know alot of people hate it, and that's cool, but I, for one, am already a fan and planning on playing the CRAP out of it.
Dlichnum
Journeyman

Next

Return to 2D & 3D Games