Should I buy this computer?

Does this game work with Vista, Windows 7, Mac, or Linux? Is there a way to tweak better performance? Technical issues only, please stay on topic.

Re: Should I buy this computer?

Postby PiNK PiPER » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:49 am

neildarkstar wrote: Upgrading will be problematic though, most cards require 400 watts or better.

Problematic... how so? Can't I upgrade the the other parts? Considering I paid 180 for the thing I don't mind buying some other parts slowly and then take everything and rebuild my old gaming pc. The case is just too nice to shoot away and it has my Creative Audigy which is a big bonus. This Acer Aspire Tower looks like crap but it runs great.

Anyways I re-installed Oblivion on it and copied my backup Oblivion files and not only does it look great but I am able to play in Large Textures now with any loss of FPS. Now I'll try to add my old LOD mods and see what happens. I played for an hour and everything was smooth as silk.

Now I just have to learn how to install Morrowind on Win 7. Any tips?

PS. By the way, a BIG thanks to everybody fer the help. :wolf:
PiNK PiPER

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:50 am

What I meant by by problematic, is that sometimes it's like a daisy chain. So say you want to upgrade that video card (which is what we were actually talking about)... The video card that matches what you want with what you can afford, happens to require a 450 watt power supply (a very common req.). You install the new card, (assuming the vid card matches your case form factor) and all you get is a black screen... So, the only option is to upgrade your power supply. But... Acer often uses proprietary hardware, so it's nearly impossible to find the right power supply that will fit the case, so your option now is to change the case or alter it to make the PS fit... and so on.

I'm not saying that those things WILL happen, I AM saying that each of those things (and a lot more that I haven't mentioned) COULD happen, thus upgrading is problematic. I'm glad to hear it ran Oblivion smoothly, but if I had thought it would, I would not have said I thought it sounded a good deal. That doesn't mean an upgrade is simple. For instance, I have an Acer... When I went to upgrade my RAM, I ordered exactly what the sppecs for the motherboard called for... Twice, and neither would work. I finally ended up calling Crucial's tech support (their automated RAM finder system recommended what I had already bought twice). It took a couple of days, but the tech sup guy found out the RAM for that Acer is proprietary, so I had to buy a special kind...

I want to upgrade my video from Intel chipset to a card, but... my power supply is only 250 watts, and the best upgrade I can get is a caveman drawing 3d pix with charcoal... and the power supply is also proprietary, so finding a large enough PS that will fit is proving impossible. Aside from that, the form factor is micro-ATX, so there is a limited number of vid cards that will fit in the case... I do happen to have a good case (with a good power supply), but I have to drill new standouts and cut some holes to accommodate back panel ports being in the wrong place. It's likely that I'll just get another computer in a few months... In the meantime, most things run fine on it, so I'm not in a big rush.

I have a daughter who had similar issues with an Acer. I'm not saying she was frustrated, but she blew it to hell with an SKS "assault rifle" after 5 months... :-D It was great! We had a blindfold for it, did little drum rolls, and held a wake afterwards.

When I say that upgrading Acers can be problematic, I'm not just spouting off, eh? :biggrin:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby PiNK PiPER » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 am

Hmm... ok I'll look into that. My father also said Acers are iffy. So the core 2 quad is the chip right? Can I remove that and buy a new motherboard and video card and start to build a new workstation? If so then that will be my plan. Anyways I will wait for the Skyrim GOTY because I'm cheap :biggrin: Also I have Morrowind to play now and I am looking forward to it so I'm sure that will keep me busy for a while :goodjob:
PiNK PiPER

Postby Jac » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 am

A good case can be had for about $100 USD, PP. I'd use this until you get the money to build a new system and use it as an extra/backup system. A decent system will set you back around $700 USD or so depending on what you buy.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 am

PiNK PiPER wrote:Hmm... ok I'll look into that. My father also said Acers are iffy. So the core 2 quad is the chip right? Can I remove that and buy a new motherboard and video card and start to build a new workstation? If so then that will be my plan. Anyways I will wait for the Skyrim GOTY because I'm cheap :biggrin: Also I have Morrowind to play now and I am looking forward to it so I'm sure that will keep me busy for a while :goodjob:

Yeah, you COULD do that. There's nothing WRONG with your CPU, but it's about as cheap and much easier to buy a motherboard/CPU bundle that is the right form factor. When you get to adding that up, if you do need a case, power supply, and a step up to DDR3 RAM, you're into the range of a decent bare bones kit at Tiger direct. If it was me, and that puter handles what you need it to okay, I'd use it until it no longer does what I want, then I'd buy a kit and use some things out of this one like hard drive, DVD player and such to pad out a "bare bones" kit, or sell it off to help finance the new build. DO pay attention though to things like required RAM and bus speeds... Your Acer uses DDR 2 (obsolete in another year or two), but the current standard is DDR3 which, oddly, is both faster and often cheaper. As a rule, you can't use your DDR2 in a board that needs DDR3 or vice versa (they can't even be put in the slots), so it's important. Everybody's anticipating DDR4 (most likely in 2014 or 15), but I wouldn't worry about that unless you're looking to go top of the line.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby PiNK PiPER » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 pm

bang for buck.PNG
high end.png
Time for a stupid question here :wave: DDR2,3,4 is that something do do with the ram memory? Ya I think I am going to do what you suggest, I am going to ride this Acer till it dies or till I sell it. I'll wait for Skyrim GOTY to come out and that will give me a long time to plan my next gaming pc which I will go top of the line so that it will last as long as my old one did.

I was planning to build something like this last year but decided to wait.... waddaya thunk? I made myslef 2 options;

bang for buck.PNG
high end.png
PiNK PiPER

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Pink PiPER wrote:Time for a stupid question here :wave: DDR2,3,4 is that something do do with the ram memory?

That would be a yes. DDR indicates that it is "Double data rate synchronous dynamic random-access memory (DDR SDRAM)" and the number indicates the developement platform, telling us how many pins are on it so we don't try shoving the wrong kind in the slot. Square peg, round hole, eh? Also what configuration is required between the motherboard and the RAM, and what bus speeds are possible.

I'm unsure what exactly you're pointing out there to build, but here's a page showing kits at Tiger Direct. You can browse those kits and basically determine what you can afford as well as what you want. New Egg kinda expects you to know how to configure the whole thing... which is often not very helpful.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... t%2015-_-n

Be sure to scroll down, there are a lot of choices in both performance and price.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby PiNK PiPER » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:15 am

Ok so last year my mom wanted an ipad, so I had an apple ipad 1st generation 8gb. ... USB Travel Kit with Car Charger and travel adapter and some other stuff for it so I told her that I would trade it for her Sony Vaio laptop computer which was already a couple years old but in perfect shape. I mean all she does is look at Facebook and at people magazine websites so we traded but she forgot that she promised to give it to my sister because she wanted it... bla bla bla watever so now I traded the Sony Vaio (I have to admit it is a very pretty looking machine but it is 32bit) with my sister for her 8 month old HP Premiere Experience Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, 570gb Win7 (with a 15 dollar coupon to upgrade to Win 8 within the next 4 months) Processor: AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.65 GHz, RAM; 6.00GB, 64 Bit operating system with 4 months of warranty left.

Granted it is nothing special but my question is... Will it be able to run Morrowind?

EDIT: I found this post on another forum when I googled, "AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.65 GHz play Morrowind"

Your laptop's hardware is fine. However, an OEM laptop version of Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit ?) is less than optimal for an older program like Morrowind.

Be prepared for the likely possibility that you will have to do some (or ALL) of the following things.

Backup and/or image your system drive and windows registry.
Install to a folder outside of the default "program files" folder.
Install an older version of DirectX (like 9.0c).
Install with "Run as Administrator" enabled.
Play with "Run as Administrator" enabled.
Play with UAC disabled.

wadaya thunk? :anxious:

EDIT#2 @neil
Those pics were 2 different gaming pc builds that I was thinking about last year. I didn't do because I needed to save my money for a down payment on a car. Cars are a must here in montreal as the winters are flippin crazy cold.
PiNK PiPER

Postby Jac » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:06 am

You'll need DirectX 9.0c. Just extract the installer to a temporary folder, then run setup.exe.
Don't install to any system folders like Program Files (x86). C:\Morrowind will work just fine.
Use the Data Execution Protection work-around I mentioned here. You can also use that for any game that gives you a BEX error except for Steam games like Skyrim.
To run as admin and in Windows XP SP 3 mode, right click on the morrowind.exe file, select properties, click on the compatibility tab, then select those options (the later is a drop-down menu).
You do not need to disable UAC unless you're laptop is like Elaura's where the warning box would pop-up behind Morrowind and cause it to crash.

And your laptop will run Morrowind just fine and should be able to handle MGE XE with some shaders; you'll need to tweak it a bit to find a happy medium between performance and quality.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:17 am

I think you'll likely have no problem at all running Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim on that computer. Just remember not to install it to program files or x-86 program files, because the OS won't want to let you run mods. It's a permissions thing, not a lack of compatibility. I can run all of those games on my computer, and it's a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Run as administrator is not hard to do, nor is disabling UAC, though I haven't bothered doing it myself. Also, I haven't had any issues with Direct X, though I hear some people do. I've run a lot of very old games too, like Myst, Riddle of the Sphinx, Arena, Combat Mission, Combat Mission Africa, Tomb Raider and I never have that sort of problem. Most of my issues are due to Intel Graphics...

Sounds like a great machine, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

PreviousNext

Return to Game Issues