Save the cd drive

From applications to utilities and bugs to viruses, we'll try to help all we can.

Save the cd drive

Postby Ghostwolf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:55 pm

I hate wearing out wearing CD drives and I honestly don't like no CD cracks as the seem to make the game rather buggy.

To me the best way of saving the CD drives from excess wear and tear is create an ISO or bin file of the game and use a virtual CD drive emulator to run it.

Daemon Tools

This is the only freeware CD / DVD emulator around. The only faults I have with it is the later versions support windows 2000 & up and it has ad-ware (easily removed)

As for a something to create ISOs I like UltraISO though there are other CD image makers out there as well.

Real CD Drives vs. Virtual
Load times: Virtual Wins
Noise: Virtual makes no noise
System resource Usage: Virtual Still wins, not much ram or CPU used.

If you got the cash and want to buy something I would suggest GameDrive 10 or one of the others.
I am a shrubber, keeper of shrubbery. Please take care of thine own shrubs as I am quite busy shrubbing all over the place.
Ghostwolf
No Prize Winner
No Prize Winner

Title: Master of Shrubbery!

Re: Save the cd drive

Postby Donkey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 am

Ghostwolf that is exactly how i do my games currently, but the real problem is the older games actually works fine this way but it is the newer that refuse to play, they are smart enough to notice there is emulator running and will still refuse to play afterwards. So in some situation you can't get away with the no-cd crack.
Retired modder and enjoying it. :D
Donkey
Journeyman

Postby Jac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 pm

The only game I wasn't able to image was Dungeon Siege. Every other game I used Daemon Tools on, it imaged properly and I can now run the game without having to have the CD/DVD in the drive.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Ghostwolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:59 pm

You may need to check the the protections. DS requires Safe Disc in order to work. I'm running the latest D Tools with safedisc, securerom and laserlock enabled
I am a shrubber, keeper of shrubbery. Please take care of thine own shrubs as I am quite busy shrubbing all over the place.
Ghostwolf
No Prize Winner
No Prize Winner

Postby Jac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:02 pm

I did, but nothing worked. Not that it matters now, I had to implement a no-CD crack just to get the stupid game to work on Windows 7. :mad:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Ghostwolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Only problems I've ran into were games by micronut err soft,, the mechwarrior series has a lot of hickups where expansions were concerned. There was a forth type of security that DTools used to cover starforce I think, game drive was the only one that could deal with it, BUT game drive took a lot of HD space.
Ghostwolf
No Prize Winner
No Prize Winner

Postby Jac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 pm

It was Dungeon Siege (a Gas Powered Games and MS title) that was giving me the problem. Both Elaura and I had issues trying to make an image out of it. But that's a moot point because when we bought it and the expansion (two copies for the record), it wouldn't work on either my desktop or my laptop, so we found the no-CD cracks just so that we could play our games. Anyway, this is great for those that own the CDs/DVDs for their games, but want to limit the amount of disc swapping.
Jac
The Boss

Postby valre » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 pm

@Jac: so you say that you imaged ME1, ME2 and DA:O with Daemontools and it worked? .. guess I know what I need to do soonish then .. it's a bit of a hassle to swap out the dvds when I want to switch between ME1 and DA:O (not really started on ME2 yet .. well I did but quickly realised just how tied into the story of ME1 that it is and thus I bought ME1 and will play that first)

That's actually one of the things that CD Project really needs to be commended for .. officially releasing a patch that has built in no-cd feature
"Tiefe Brunnen muss man graben wenn man klares Wasser will" Rammstein - Rosenrott

"When i became a man i put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" - C.S. Lewis
valre
Associate

Postby Jac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Yep. I had no problems imaging ME1, 2, or DA:O. I haven't tried DA2 because I don't have it. You won't need it for Fallout 3 if you're using the script extender and New Vegas doesn't require a DVD since it uses Steam.
Jac
The Boss

Postby valre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:50 am

Cool .. as for DA2 I should be able to figure that out soon .. got the game in the mail today so
"Tiefe Brunnen muss man graben wenn man klares Wasser will" Rammstein - Rosenrott

"When i became a man i put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" - C.S. Lewis
valre
Associate

Next

Return to Software