Working and Playing with Others

Let the games begin! Adult content. All Forum Rules apply.

Working and Playing with Others

Postby Elaura » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 pm

How do you roleplay with a team?

A recent issue has come up in a weekly RPG Jac and I play in with 2-3 other people. It has suddenly dawned on us that one of the other players is roleplaying a thief to the point that we suspect him of stealing from us all. The way we have been playing is that when loot is found, it is all given to the team member with the most favorable reaction from the nearest merchant and then the gold is divided amongst us all. It seems, however, that this one particular player has been hoarding valuables, including a quest item that only helps another player. He acts as if because he thinks this is something his character would do, it's okay.

Personally, I think that after traveling in a group and saving one another's asses time and time again, this would be about the time any thief would decide it's better to come clean than lose the protection and friendship of the group.

Anyway, Jac and I are thinking about quitting the game because of this one guy. Frankly, if he wants roleplay, my half-orc would probably twist his little Hobbit head off for holding out on us, but I think it would be better for us to just walk away rather than take it that far.

So, the basic idea of this thread is to give your opinion on our current situation and discuss when you think roleplaying has been taken too far.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Re: Working and Playing with Others

Postby EruditeDragon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:36 am

Hmm... first of all, is the DM/GM/Storyteller (if there is one) aware of the issue? There's always the chance that he or she might not be reading the group dynamic properly, and not noticing this issue.

Also, you might also consider talking to the problem player. He might just be unaware of the problems he's causing, and more than happy to edit his views a bit (though if you've been playing for a while, I'm not sure how well this would work out).

If talking to the GM and the player doesn't work, you should probably consider walking. No game is too important to lose friendships over, and you can always find another.

Also, this forum might help you come to a decision: http://www.youmeetinatavern.com/index.php It's a forum run by and for GMs and players. I've been helped out quite a bit here, including when I had issues with a problem player of my own.

Hope this helps you and Jac out. Gaming can be rewarding... but when you work with a group, there's always potential for conflict.
EruditeDragon
Associate

Postby Raym » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 am

As a rule of thumb, no wise game master should ever allow infighting between the player characters. It just disrupts the game and makes for a bad mood in the players involved.
So EruditeDragon gives a good advice: talk to the GM about this, and see what can be done.

As for the player, there are players that just don't realize that "I'm roleplaying my character" isn't the excuse for everything.
I don't think there's actually any situation where the personality of your character, no matter how well you defined it, can strictly dictate his/her actions.
Characters of course have their own personality, but they have doubts, negotiate situations and make compromises just like you and me do everyday. Assuming that your role is a railroad that gives you no chance to go "off the track" is just childish.
So, talking to the player, if you think s/he's the kind who can take a friendly advice, is also an option. He might just not have realized the problems s/he's causing.

A third option, the one I use sometimes when playing online (in rpgs where you share the game with dozens other people) is to just react ingame.
Actually, if I think the issue can be addressed offgame, I tend do try that, first. But if it's not possible (or the other party just isn't capable of listening), I just go for "ok, I'll just react to this from my character viewpoint".
If that means doing something harsh to the other player, s/he had it coming.
In my opinion, roleplaying is also about choices and consequences. You can act like a jerk, but then don't come to me crying if you get what you deserved. :whistling:

Finally, it really depends on your relations with that player out of game.
You might just not want to risk hurting that person's feelings. If this is the case, just stop playing. No game is worth that, I totally agree.
I don't have a dirty mind. I just have a sexy imagination.
Raym
Lurker Extraordinarie

Postby Jac » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 am

There is no game master and it's been somewhat discussed in game. My character made the comment that it was like he asked the other player to hand over his grandmother's teeth. Anyway, I think we've decided to just walk away because no game is worth it.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Symon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Very tricky. Some players don't realize that 'roleplaying my character', is no excuse to roleplay in such a way as causes the other players to NOT enjoy the game.

You could say something like 'the problem is that if I were to roleplay my character like you do, when he/she realized what your character was doing, you're character would die, no question. Now that makes for a lousy game, so bend a little huh?'

You could also point out that they are roleplaying their character as a sociopath, and that's no fun.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.
Symon
Journeyman

Title: Wirrn

Postby Ghostwolf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Something similar ruined the chatroom rpg we did back at the old site. We looked forward to Friday night nwod sessions but one role played a good character to the extreme and made trouble for me as a player. Eventually the game ended. Sometimes folks take their characters too seriously, it's those folks I love to see play paranoia but I digress.

If the DM rules that he is playing the role correctly you can do likewise considering that anything with orcish blood usually has a foul temper.

BTW for those who wonder what paranoia is, it's the most hilarious rpg in existence and lives up to it's name.
I am a shrubber, keeper of shrubbery. Please take care of thine own shrubs as I am quite busy shrubbing all over the place.
Ghostwolf
No Prize Winner
No Prize Winner

Title: Master of Shrubbery!

Postby swordsman5 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Ghostwolf wrote:Something similar ruined the chatroom rpg we did back at the old site. We looked forward to Friday night nwod sessions but one role played a good character to the extreme and made trouble for me as a player. Eventually the game ended. Sometimes folks take their characters too seriously, it's those folks I love to see play paranoia but I digress.

If the DM rules that he is playing the role correctly you can do likewise considering that anything with orcish blood usually has a foul temper.

BTW for those who wonder what paranoia is, it's the most hilarious rpg in existence and lives up to it's name.

I used to be paranoid, but I'm better now......................but don't let THEM know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
If it were to rain soup....I'd have a fork!

swordsman5
Sensei

Title: Sensei

Postby fable2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 am

I'm afraid I don't really see the issue. The point of what you're all doing is to enjoy playtime together. The thief character is making a real dent in this.

Speak to him/her about this thief character's actions. It appears this has become a serious enough issue that you're bringing it up here, so if they won't discuss it, then you can either shut down the game and start up a new one without them, or disable the character in game, check their goods, and if they're stealing/hoarding, kill or abandon them. While this will piss off that character's owner, it appears the first offense is theirs, and they're simply relying upon goodwill to allow them to get away with what they want.

If instead they explain their character's actions in terms of unusual greed, sociopathic behavior, etc, point out that this kind of character is best experienced in a single-person game, and is really bothering the group. Get a promise that it will stop, and that the goods already gathered will be distributed immediately among the party. If not, see solution, above.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby swordsman5 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:34 pm

*in phony German accent* Shoot Zem!
If it were to rain soup....I'd have a fork!

swordsman5
Sensei

Title: Sensei

Postby Jac » Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm

We decided to leave that particular game. If we're not having fun, then there's no reason to participate. Thanks for the input, guys. :shades:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Next

Return to Role Playing