A long and winding road.

Delicate thoughts of a dangerous mind.

Re: A long and winding road.

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sat May 25, 2013 8:42 am

This is good news -s- I'm glad Elaura.. And also have to thank you for the information about being pierced. I was pierced years ago and last two yearly Mamograms have showed "changes".. -s-
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby Raym » Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 am

Very good news, E! I'm so happy for you! :drunk:
I don't have a dirty mind. I just have a sexy imagination.
Raym
Lurker Extraordinarie

Postby Elaura » Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Thank you, thank you!

Ladies, I just read up on ye olde pap test. Apparently, the folks in the white coats have done some number crunching and decided girls don't need to start getting pap tests until they turn 21. Used to be, you got your first one at your first visit to the gynecologist, after your first period. From that moment on, you could expect one every year, like a cellular human sacrifice in honor of the god of cancer.

Now, the recommendation is every 2 years for ladies 21 to 30 *unless you meet Abby Normal* and then you follow it up as your doctor orders until you have at least three normal paps in a row.

At age 30, if you have no abnormal test results or family history of cervical cancer, it goes up to one every three years, with the above caveat.

At age 65, with the same caveats, a lady with no abnormalities can consider dropping the habit altogether.

HOWEVER ...

The gynecologists won't be losing any money, rest assured. They still recommend a yearly pelvic exam for any woman who is sexually active OR over the age of 21.

Just thought I'd pass this along. I tend to listen to my doctor over bean counters, but it's always a good idea to keep up with trends, both statistical and anecdotal.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby tealpanda » Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 am

Glad to hear you're ok! :wave:
tealpanda
Journeyman

Postby Jac » Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am

So are we, TP. :biggrin:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Jada » Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 am

Glad to hear things are ok with you! :drunk: :drunk:

Sorry for not posting sooner, other things have kept me away.
Jada
Associate

Title: Mrs. Robinson

Postby Elaura » Wed May 29, 2013 12:08 pm

I understand completely, Jada. Thanks for stopping by. I hope your life is happy and healthy. If you ever need to talk, PM me or I'll try to track you down on your program. :D
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Elaura » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Update on the HPV test:

Human Papilloma Virus is a sexually transmitted disease (yes, an STD) that *can* cause no symptoms, genital warts, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), all the way up to cervical cancer. There are more virulent strains and less virulent strains. Like other viruses such as Herpes, HPV can lie dormant for many years and show negative test results during that time, only to pop up later. HPV can also run it's course and disappear within two years of contracting it.

I tested HPV negative, which is especially nice since I tested positive after my last pelvic exam. YAY! Why am I telling a bunch of strangers that I *had* an STD? Because HPV is so common, it is estimated at least half of all sexually active men and women get genital HPV at some time in their lives. Unfortunately, the vaccine is only useful in women under the age of 26. Also unfortunately, the vaccine was not available when I was under the age of 26 (I'll spare you the math, that was 17 years ago).

So, am I embarrassed about getting HPV? Nope. Do I want to prevent young ladies from getting it? Yep.

Oh, in case you're wondering, no I've never had any symptoms of HPV and never tested positive for Herpes, but considering I played the unprotected lottery, I know how lucky I am.

Now, here are my results, so far:

Test Name:
HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS 16+18+31+33+35+39+45+51+52+56+58+59+68 DNA [These are the different strains they tested for. Types 16, 18, 31, and 45 are the highest risk for developing cervical cancer.]

Result:
Negative

Reference Range:
Negative

Lab Test:
Human Papillomavirus

Interpretation:
|------------------------------------------------------------|
| HPV ASSAY INTERPRETATION: The HPV High Risk pool includes |
| 12 types (31,33,35,39,45,51,52,56,58,59,66,68) and does |
| not include 16 and 18. HPV 16 and 18 are tested separately.|
| -- |
| HPV LIMITATIONS OF PROCEDURE: A negative result does not |
| preclude the presence of HPV infection because results |
| depend on adequate specimen collection, absence of |
| inhibitors and sufficient DNA to be detected. This test is |
| designed to enhance existing methods for the detection of |
| cervical disease and should be used in conjunction with |
| clinical information from other diagnostic and screening |
| tests, physical examinations, and full medical history in |
| accordance with appropriate patient management procedures. |
| This test has been developed by Roche using PCR technology.|
| This test has been approved by the FDA for in vitro |
| diagnostic (IVD) use and its performance validated by the |
| Molecular Pathology Laboratory, ***
|------------------------------------------------------------|

As for the Pap test, the initial microscopy showed I was positive for "clue cells". Clue cells are epithelial cells of the vagina that get their distinctive stippled appearance by being covered with bacteria. These simply indicate I have an overgrowth of bacteria, a.k.a. bacterial vaginosis, which has since been treated. In addition, since he could see I had cervicitis, I understand the infection was also in the squamous cells. It was not of any known STD, however. As a matter of fact, I have never tested positive for any bacterial STD. However, because of my pH, I am prone to this sort of imbalance, as many women are prone to the other end of the imbalance: yeast infections.

Please keep in mind, neither yeast infections nor bacterial infections (non-STD) indicate a problem with hygiene. They are exclusively caused by normal surface fungus and bacteria which, due to some imbalance (such as swimming in a chlorinated pool or being otherwise "too clean"), multiply out of control. For what it's worth, that "fishy smell" is generally cause by an overgrowth of bacteria, while too much of the "white stuff" is an indicator of a yeast infection.

Sadly, still no word on whether or not abnormal cells were found in my cervical cells. I'm going to message my doctor today to see what the hold up is. Maybe the information is there and I just don't understand it? Any feedback or explanation of my results would be appreciated.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:28 am

Thank you for all of this information. I know how hard it must have been to write.
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby PiNK PiPER » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:24 pm

HPV is very common but it can be avoided. I have 2 sisters and we have spoken a lot about these things with my mother over the years.

Anyways I'm glad to hear the good news. Strange a little about the inconsistent test results :unsure: You should speak to your doctor about that I think. You can never be too careful.

I'm off to my Tai Chi class. It's the only chance I get to relax these days.
PiNK PiPER

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to my parlor . . .