Hello from Wolf

Stop in and say hi. Tell us who you are. Adult content fine, but normal forum rules apply.

Re: Hello from Wolf

Postby Jac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:24 pm

DiD means Dead is Dead. It's a game mode where if your character dies, you don't reload; instead you make a new character. Makes for an interesting playthrough I'm imagining...
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby neildarkstar » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Heh, If we were in Texas, I'd be tempted to ask "Wuhl, where're YOU from?" :D

DiD is not a game, it's a style of play for a number of games. It's not the most popular style, but has quite a few adherents anyway in games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and the Fallout series. DiD stands for "Dead is Dead", and means just what it says. If your character is killed, that character is dead forever, and you have to start a new one. A DiD competition usually sets some parameters regarding characters, and the object is to see whose character accomplishes the most under those parameters before being killed off. That style adds a lot of excitement to events when you have many hours invested in a character and death starts looking probable in the near future.

Some people (like Diablo players) call DiD "Hardcore", although in other games that term has come to more often mean DiD with some kind of needs added in, like sleep, thirst, and hunger requirements. These kinds of things are used along with mods to keep old games fresh and exciting. I personally have thousands of hours in both Skyrim and Fallout 4, but in FO4 I've only finished one questline, and with 6,000+ hours in Skyrim, I've only recently finished some of the quest lines for the first time.

Well, probably a lot more than you wanted to know, but I hope that answers your question. :)
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Lushen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Ah gotcha. I've always taken to calling it "Ironman", though I've also heard of hardcore (used to play D2). I've tried it quite a few times, but my overly-attaching nature always has me pry open the files in an effort to recover my save after I die claiming "It wasn't fair". The only game I've been successful with is Xcom/Xcom 2 but even then I will occasionally reload if something happens that I think the game engine should handle differently (like when one of them shoots at me and misses but somehow blows up my cover).

Just to put things in a perspective of sorts, I just did some math and I was 14 years old when I joined GHF. I think I was around the officials ~a year before that. I honestly can't believe I was so young at the time. Additionally, its been ~4 years since I've been in the gaming community. Unfortunately, most people my age use 'reddit'. While I think some of the fan art / memes that come out of it are great, I wish the site never existed overall.

Anyways, you'll probably see me occasionally chime in on general discussion threads but I only really play Xcom currently so unless something interesting comes out (doubtful) or something peaks my nostalgia I probably won't know anything about it.

Nice to meet all of you. :biggrin:
Lushen
Associate

Title: Nostalgic Overload

Previous

Return to Member Introductions and Greetings