A fable about modding

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

Re: A fable about modding

Postby Elaura » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:41 pm

fable2 wrote:I've heard that story before, but never applied to modding--and frequently, it should be. A lot. Excellent choice.

There have been several times where I've seen up on Bethsoft's forums the negative effects of inviting feature requests from the community for a mod-in-progress. One classic was an NPC-adding mod in Morrowind. Within no time at all there were literally 4 pages of requests, a good number ridiculously complex and having nothing to do with the mod's original goals--and the poor modder, Starfire, was *still* stuck in I-must-be-nice-and-agree mode.

Finally, he/she just left modding. The mod's never been updated. Since then, I've seen a few more outrageous "Why didn't they add my feature before they left?" comments. What gross insensitivity.

I even had one feature-me-to-death type show up shortly after my Skin-toned Mannequins mod for Oblivion was added to TES Nexus. Jumped out of the starting gate lavishing praise on what a fantastic mod it was, and how it could be just a little bit better if only I'd add these three races, and maybe let the mannequins accompany the player as companions, and give them voiced personalities, too. I responded by reprinted what was in the description about no further developments in the mod. It had achieved its goals, and was finished. The person who had praised it simply left, and never even rated it. ;)

This always gives me a mental picture of a group of pre-teen boys sitting in their "clubhouse" playing the "wouldn't it be cool if . . ." game. You remember it, even if you were never a pre-teen boy. "Wouldn't it be cool if dinosaurs still walked the Earth?" "Wouldn't it be cool if we all had wings and could fly over the playground and poop on the teachers' heads?"
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:37 am

The last line kept me chuckling for at least five minutes. Quite a nice double meaning there Soap
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby soap » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:17 pm

I forget if I posted this or not it's been so long. But the story IS very familiar to me. My mother always gave me all sorts of advice growing up, and her repetition made me remember them. And I do have another one like this one about a guy going to work and putting on a different tie each day, eventually loosing the tie all together... but the end of the story the man was naked and people still where not happy.

... but the ass one is better :P

In relation to modding it's true, as much as we can all enjoy some praise for our work, we need to be careful about criticism, some game creators have quit projects and gaming all together because they couldn't stand all the negative feed back. I can't believe how some people are so critical, it's Not easy to make games, and some people put their heart and soul in it. I'm not saying don't be critical, but there are way to say things and for those criticized, well get tough if you can.
photobucket sucks... need to upload a new sig.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Postby Spirited Treasure » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Lol. :goodjob:
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Previous

Return to Anything Goes