A fable about modding

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

A fable about modding

Postby Jac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Soap posted this on another site and I thought it pertained to modding in general:

An old man, a boy & a donkey were going to town.
The boy rode on the donkey & the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked "What a shame the old man is walking and the boy is riding." The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Later they passed some people who remarked "What a shame.... he makes that little boy walk."
So they then decided they'd both walk!

Soon they passed some more people who remarked "They're really stupid to walk when they have a decent donkey to ride." So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people who shamed them by saying "How awful to put such a load on a poor donkey." The boy and man figured they were probably right, so they decide to carry the donkey.

As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story?

If you try to please everyone, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye!
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Re: A fable about modding

Postby Dragon_Lance » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 pm

LOL, Well done, Jac.
Dragon_Lance
Associate

Postby Kiteflyer61 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Well done indeed! Funny as hell. I read it twice and I'm still chuckling. :D

KF
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
Kiteflyer61
Protector

Title: Hired Gun

Postby Kitsune » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Praise to soap. For this is quite a good story that I have seen used a lot.
Kitsune
Journeyman

Postby Michael Valentine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 pm

So very true. :mellow:
Michael Valentine
Associate

Location: Somewhere, Trying not to creep Elaura out. Possibly failing I think.
Title: The Mephistopheles

Postby eldarion ciareth » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:17 am

So very, very true. I have seen so many different tastes in my time in the TES community. Even just with textures to use one miniscule example. Some people like egyptian themed textures, others enjoy grimdark, but there is no way to cater to everyones taste, nor should we as modders. Our first responsibility should always be to create something that we enjoy using ourselves- then if others like it they can use it, or not- there is almost boundless variety at this point in time for them to choose from.
eldarion ciareth
Associate

Title: An Vorneth Ostarine

Postby swordsman5 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 am

There's absolutely nothing wrong with people having different tastes, what does become tiresome is when you get one idiot that believes that EVERYONE should play a game HIS way, that's when sparks begin to fly..... Or the Ban-Hammer get's an airing! :lol:
If it were to rain soup....I'd have a fork!

swordsman5
Sensei

Title: Sensei

Postby fable2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:35 pm

I've heard that story before, but never applied to modding--and frequently, it should be. A lot. Excellent choice.

There have been several times where I've seen up on Bethsoft's forums the negative effects of inviting feature requests from the community for a mod-in-progress. One classic was an NPC-adding mod in Morrowind. Within no time at all there were literally 4 pages of requests, a good number ridiculously complex and having nothing to do with the mod's original goals--and the poor modder, Starfire, was *still* stuck in I-must-be-nice-and-agree mode.

Finally, he/she just left modding. The mod's never been updated. Since then, I've seen a few more outrageous "Why didn't they add my feature before they left?" comments. What gross insensitivity.

I even had one feature-me-to-death type show up shortly after my Skin-toned Mannequins mod for Oblivion was added to TES Nexus. Jumped out of the starting gate lavishing praise on what a fantastic mod it was, and how it could be just a little bit better if only I'd add these three races, and maybe let the mannequins accompany the player as companions, and give them voiced personalities, too. I responded by reprinted what was in the description about no further developments in the mod. It had achieved its goals, and was finished. The person who had praised it simply left, and never even rated it. ;)
Last edited by fable2 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Maiqdabomb » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:15 pm

That's a good one, Jac :P
On the rare occasions that I do mod, I try my best to ignore criticism unless it's an improvement or glitch.
There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home
Maiqdabomb
Associate

Postby RubberMan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Rofl that was quite a funny story I'm going to steal it for facebook :D
RubberMan
Apprentice

Title: Dr

Next

Return to Anything Goes