Important -Windows 10 forced

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

Re: Important -Windows 10 forced

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Cortana keeps telling me I have to have a Microsoft account, and I keep telling it to buzz off, I don't want a Microsoft account. What I would really like to do is disable Cortana completely. I have a rough idea of how to do that, but I haven't taken the time yet.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:24 pm

Isn't there a god mode in WIN 10, with Cortana disabled?

Because at this point if you want Windows 10, it's better to pirate it, I'm sorry to say.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:15 pm

Mr.Shadow1234 wrote:Isn't there a god mode in WIN 10, with Cortana disabled?

Because at this point if you want Windows 10, it's better to pirate it, I'm sorry to say.

No "God Mode" that I'm aware of, but you can disable it and theoretically wipe Microsoft's servers of whatever information they have on you. I say "theoretically" because while it's supposedly possible, and it's nice to think that Microsoft would allow you to do that, it's also very hard to believe.

A link to a good set of instructions is http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949759/windows/killing-cortana-how-to-disable-windows-10s-info-hungry-digital-assistant.html.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:46 am

That is the god mode, you actually have control over your PC.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Postby Elaura » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Sadly, I have discovered very recently that Windows 10 works better with certain "required" features left alone. Well, left alone to the extent that they are there and come on when they are supposed to. However, if you set your connection to "metered" Windows 10 will turn off most of it's own connections to the internet. Windows Update, for instance, will continue to start, but won't download anything.

If you also have open source programs set as your defaults, you can avoid a lot of problems. I use a program called UltraSearch, turned off the "search the internet" part of Windows Search and only use Windows Search for finding windows stuff, like settings.

On the other hand, Chrome has been trying to ram a completely new browser down my throat for over a month. Says it can't upgrade and must install the whole thing. Getting rather insistent, now.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:57 pm

I use Mozilla Firefox, lot more helpful than Chrome is, that's for sure.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:04 pm

I use Firefox as well. Actually, I think Firefox is the only browser that supports Ghostery and Better Privacy... You have to know that Chrome is not going to be interfering with Google trackers and LSO cookies.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm not really worried about trackers and cookies. With cellular internet, as long as I turn off location tracking in windows, websites can't find anything past Verizon. Rather than hide from google, I always log into chrome with a junk account. As a landowner and former soldier with a Secret clearance and a State gaming license, I can't hide anything from the government, so my best option is to add to the noise and hopefully get lost in it.

I suppose if I decided to run for office or start a career in crime (redundant much?) I might have someone digging around for something incriminating, but as long as I appear innocuous I don't see why anyone would come looking. I don't have much left to take and I have no power or influence. I always have to ask myself, why would anyone *want* to track me? Then I go about my business.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:45 pm

The truth is that I generally don't care about the tracking... except that it annoys me. I do a search for say a new graphics card. I find a card I want and I buy it, and then for 6 months every site I go to is overloaded with advertisements for graphics cards... which I already bought and have no use for another one...

And then there is the attitude of these people that every thing you do is their property, that you have nothing to say about your information or privacy, or how your information is used. Believe it or not, your information, browsing habits, and purchasing habits are valuable... but you don't see them standing in line to pay you for it, do you? We're just livestock to them, to be herded, used and eventually butchered as meat for their table, and we aren't going to get anything out of the deal. That's why I go out of my way to give false information... plain old spite... :D
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:04 pm

Marketing in the 21st century.

I have to admit, it is a little disturbing to see adult lubrication ads on a NASA page. :D
Elaura
Chaplain

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes