Ultimate Performance from modded Morrowind & other games

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

Re: Ultimate Performance from modded Morrowind & other games

Postby Elaura » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:26 pm

I think of RAM as an internal USB stick connected directly to the motherboard. No moving parts and because of the direct connection the data movement is really fast, but as has been said, RAM is cleared every time you shut down your computer. Therefore, only temp files and programs can be stored there. Saves, mods, logs and such would disappear if not consciously unloaded every time you shut down. And when you start again, the programs have to be reloaded onto the RAMDisk, though there are programs to do this for you.

I tried it at 8 GB of RAM and made a mess of it when I started running into low memory issues. It worked well, but I screwed up putting the temp files back onto my hard drive and ended up having to reinstall Windows 10 and a few other programs to get the paths right again. Still, my fault, and fortunately Windows 10 reinstall is fool proof enough to keep this fool from losing anything.

Jac says at least 12 GB of RAM, I would say 16 GB would be better. We could feasibly double our DDR3 RAM for $70 dollars each, but I would expect I'd be satisfied with that and not try the RAMDisk again, unless I was disappointed in the performance boost from our current 8 GB.

Did that muddy it up for you? :biggrin:
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Hmm, does it actually make that much of a difference?

RAM is really cheap now, so I think I can try that out.

8 gigs 1200 mhz ram costs like 3500, I am currently running i7-4790k 4.4 Ghz(overclocked), 32 gigabytes of ram at 1200 Mhz and since everyone else mentioned their Gpus, I'm on a Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme 6 gb.

I don't know what difference it'll make, but I'll try it out.

Again, I don't mean to show off, and I'll mention that my computer doesn't run Fraps,
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:32 pm

Jac wrote:
Spirited Treasure wrote:I would need more RAM yes?

I'd go with at least 12, if not more, if your computer an handle it.

Hmm like an external but not??

Yep, but it's only active while your computer is on. As soon as you shut down, the disk is destroyed, which is why you have to unload anything new in it to the system before you do so.

Oh wow so you have to put your games in there every time you turn the pc back on? That seems like a hassle to me.
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Elaura wrote:I think of RAM as an internal USB stick connected directly to the motherboard. No moving parts and because of the direct connection the data movement is really fast, but as has been said, RAM is cleared every time you shut down your computer. Therefore, only temp files and programs can be stored there. Saves, mods, logs and such would disappear if not consciously unloaded every time you shut down. And when you start again, the programs have to be reloaded onto the RAMDisk, though there are programs to do this for you.

I tried it at 8 GB of RAM and made a mess of it when I started running into low memory issues. It worked well, but I screwed up putting the temp files back onto my hard drive and ended up having to reinstall Windows 10 and a few other programs to get the paths right again. Still, my fault, and fortunately Windows 10 reinstall is fool proof enough to keep this fool from losing anything.

Jac says at least 12 GB of RAM, I would say 16 GB would be better. We could feasibly double our DDR3 RAM for $70 dollars each, but I would expect I'd be satisfied with that and not try the RAMDisk again, unless I was disappointed in the performance boost from our current 8 GB.

Did that muddy it up for you? :biggrin:

Perfectly understandable to me.. Sounds like something I would have the computer hospital do ..
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby Elaura » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:51 pm

You aren't showing off, Shadow. That's about what I would expect a grown-up dedicated (single) gamer to have. Jac's machine is not quite as fast as yours, but he does have a wife and mother to take care of, and mine isn't quite as fast as his, because I'm not quite as dedicated to gaming as he is. When I bought him Witcher 3, I knew he was going to need a machine that could play it.

Spirited Treasure wrote:Oh wow so you have to put your games in there every time you turn the pc back on? That seems like a hassle to me.

Yes, but there are programs that will load and unload what you tell them to automatically.

Spirited Treasure wrote:Perfectly understandable to me.. Sounds like something I would have the computer hospital do .

Very wise woman. When you know your limits, you never brick your computer. Which I have done, a few times, while still learning mine. :lol:
Last edited by Elaura on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoting is not foolproof.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Darknut » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 am

I think a ramdisk is awesome for open world types games where there are basically continuous data loads.

Ramdisk make a big difference in morrowind! My Main gaming PC is really fast, I get 30+ fps even in the worst places in MW but there are still small pauses because of cell loading.

With a ramdisk those are all but gone.
Wait ... What?
Darknut
Associate

Previous

Return to Anything Goes