Consoles have all but ruined Gaming!

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

Re: Consoles have all but ruined Gaming!

Postby Adul » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:29 am

Well, for what it's worth, I'm 29 and I still think instant gratification is ruining AAA games. "Ruining" in the sense that I find an increasing number of the ones coming out rather dull and vapid. But perhaps I should say "unruining" instead, because my opinion of a game seems to be inversely proportional to the wider gaming public's: Skyrim outsold Morrowind, Guild Wars 2 outsold Guild Wars, Dragon Age: Inquisition outsold Baldur's Gate II, and Diablo 3 outsold the first two Diablos combined. So what do I know, eh? :scamper:

PS: I almost added "Mass Effect 3 outsold Mass Effect" to the list, but then I checked and I found that they sold around the same amount of copies. Disaster averted.
Adul
Warden

Postby soap » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Respect Fenrir. We know how we sound its ok. And your right there are lots of games we dont buy. I guess we just whish there was more catered to our taste. But we're no longer part of the target audience.

I wonder how I'll feel in 40 more years when theyll be really nothing for my audience... guess I'll be playing those ancient games on ancient machines.

edit add: Dont forget there are more gamers now. Casual perhaps, but its one reason more is being sold.
Last edited by soap on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photobucket sucks... need to upload a new sig.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Postby Fenrir » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:12 pm

I can understand that Soap, it sucks. Everyone reaches a point where the market is no longer trying to please them. Times change, the popular opinion changes. They can't please everybody so they'll go after the easiest audience. Oh well. Maybe we don't get the triple A games we want, but Indie devs are getting more and more respect these days. Just because the games you're used to aren't so popular, doesn't mean they're dead.
Granted I'm also grumpy and tired this morning so maybe I'm just rambling and talking out my ass, so, keep that in mind.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:15 am

I think you're both absolutely right. As old as the oldest video games are, gaming itself is still an art form in its infancy. It's still in the initial booming stage where every generation of games and gaming consoles outsells the previous one. This will change at some point, and then the dust will begin to settle. But for now gaming tastes, niches, and genres are in a constant flux, and where the AAA market fails to deliver, the smaller devs go in and fulfill the growing demands for both the trends of the past and the innovation that is so absent from the big publishers' games.
Adul
Warden

Previous

Return to Anything Goes