Consoles have all but ruined Gaming!

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

Consoles have all but ruined Gaming!

Postby Darknut » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:45 pm

I had not looked at new games in quite a while but I fixed up a gaming PC for my nephew & that got me looking. The state of gaming in general is really shitty.
Gaming is just like Hollywood now .... hundreds of movies get made every year ... 3 of them are good.

Except for a select few, every game is SO dumbed down for consoles that if you have a IQ over 85 it is literally insulting.
I bought "Wolfenstein the new order" & it does look amazing & "was" fun but I beat the thing in a single day because everything is SO obvious. If I had paid 50 or 60 bucks for it I would have been pissed.

Luckily I can find game-play vids of most every game on youtube so I can avoid wasting money. maybe I'm just getting old but it seems almost everything is 3rd person only crap or a bug fest.

end of rant
Wait ... What?
Darknut
Associate

Re: Consoles have all but ruined Gaming!

Postby Adul » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:38 pm

Big publishers have become bloated and safe, you need to look in more obscure places for modern games that are still willing challenge their players (and I don't mean in the gameplay sense, necessarily). There are no fewer great games coming out now than in the nineties, it's just that you don't usually find them on the (physical) shelves of gaming stores anymore. The indie scene and crowdfunding still produce some incredible and innovative stuff, it's just that creativity and fun is not what makes the most money nowadays.

That's not to say there aren't any good AAA games, they're just getting rarer.
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Console gamers have nothing to do with the state of gaming. I have an Acer Predator. I like leaving it alone. I like the controller. I like the big TV screen. My using a Playstation instead of my PC has nothing to do with the state of anything other than the size of my ass.

I respect you Darknut and Adul and so I exit this thread lest Jac need to ban me.
I leave this instead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IuCOQ1PQfg
Listen close at the end to hear One dear to me cursing the sun in his eyes.

Edit
I also like not having to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading some part of my comp that works perfecly fine as is.
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby Jac » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:33 pm

It's real easy to blame consoles, hell E and I do it, but I think it's more of a shift in the market than what people are using for their hardware. That and companies don't seem to want to spend the money to have a proper PC port of their games. Personally, I'm sticking with the computer because I'm used to the keyboards and mouse, plus I like using mods...a lot. :shades:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Darknut » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Spirited Treasure wrote:Console gamers have nothing to do with the state of gaming. I have an Acer Predator. I like leaving it alone. I like the controller. I like the big TV screen. My using a Playstation instead of my PC has nothing to do with the state of anything other than the size of my ass.

I respect you Darknut and Adul and so I exit this thread lest Jac need to ban me.
I leave this instead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IuCOQ1PQfg
Listen close at the end to hear One dear to me cursing the sun in his eyes.

Edit
I also like not having to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading some part of my comp that works perfecly fine as is.

Console gamers have everything: to do with the state of gaming!
Programming for Consoles is why most new games have shitty interfaces & being all about slick looks & very little about content. Also they program for the lowest common denominator ( a 12 yr old retard with OCD ) so most puzzles ( if there are any) are insultingly easy.
Wait ... What?
Darknut
Associate

Postby Adul » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:06 am

I don't own any consoles myself, and I can see how a bunch of game series went down some wrong roads thanks to console market pandering, but I'd also point out that the console market spawned some of the modern gems of gaming like the Silent Hill and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls franchises. Really it's the same thing we see everywhere else: greedy companies misuse the technology, while the brilliant ones use it to the advantage of their games.

And ST, it's OK if you don't want to argue, but please don't feel forced to leave because there's a difference of opinions. I think it's pretty harmless to have a disagreement about this stuff. :meshoot:
Adul
Warden

Postby Raym » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:33 am

What Adul said.

Every game I bought in the last few years was from a Indie developer, really. I guess our tastes are a niche of the market.
I don't have a dirty mind. I just have a sexy imagination.
Raym
Lurker Extraordinarie

Postby Darknut » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:29 am

I guess it is not the console "Tech" that is to blame it is the mentality of the market. I have friends with kids that are 18 or younger & if a game doesn't lead them step by step they are completely lost. It astounds me that they can't deduce the simplest stuff.

I've received lots of messages from "Flounders" playing Morrowind with the DNGDR mod. Not all but most are bitching because they can't figure it out.... I know it's kind of hard but really? You would think if they played MW enough to get to DNGDR they would understand MW type puzzles.

I loved the Star Wars Jedi Knight games until the "The Force Unleashed" The interface is just so crappy I just could not get past it & I tried.
Adul I didn't like Silent Hill and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls stuff.

I realize that the big game companies are only going to get worse so I guess I will start looking harder at the indie games or just keep playing modded old games :)
Wait ... What?
Darknut
Associate

Postby Spirited Treasure » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Darknut wrote:I guess it is not the console "Tech" that is to blame it is the mentality of the market. I have friends with kids that are 18 or younger & if a game doesn't lead them step by step they are completely lost. It astounds me that they can't deduce the simplest stuff.

I've received lots of messages from "Flounders" playing Morrowind with the DNGDR mod. Not all but most are bitching because they can't figure it out.... I know it's kind of hard but really? You would think if they played MW enough to get to DNGDR they would understand MW type puzzles.

I loved the Star Wars Jedi Knight games until the "The Force Unleashed" The interface is just so crappy I just could not get past it & I tried.
Adul I didn't like Silent Hill and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls stuff.

I realize that the big game companies are only going to get worse so I guess I will start looking harder at the indie games or just keep playing modded old games :)

One dear to me is nodding his head in agreement with this statement and I must agree as well. I love mods too especially when I see what looks like skin disease in Oblivion, and I miss the vibrant mod for Skyrim, those nice face n maps that remove the pixilated noses and chins.

I still play Morrowind. I still mod it.. I think the audience for games like that have moved on or maybe the companies just can't be bothered

Spirited Treasure
Defender

Postby Spirited Treasure » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Hugs Adul

Spirited Treasure
Defender

Next

Return to Anything Goes