Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

Re: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Postby Fenrir » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:53 pm

Saw it yesterday myself. I rather enjoyed it, honestly. Especially when a few particular droids came back. Always loved the droids. Also, is it just me or did the fight scenes look a hell of a lot better than they used to? The lightsaber bits, especially. It actually looked like they were fighting and not swinging a stick at another stick.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:54 am

I also saw it yesterday, for the second time. Yeah, the lightsaber fight was great, I think it hit that sweet spot between the overchoreographed lightsaber dances of the prequels and the awkward stick swinging of New Hope, neither of which was very satisfying, in my opinion. If I have any criticism of it, it's that I wish it had a little more emotional charge. Still, it's one of my favorite lightsaber fights, along with the ones in Empire and Jedi.

The other fight scenes were good too, Abrams knows how to direct action effectively. One thing that I always saw as a shortcoming of Star Wars was fixed: the battles actually felt menacing this time. The shots had power behind them, and it felt like the participants were in danger.
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:13 pm

I actually really enjoyed the fact that they were injured in the fights. From memory, that didn't happen much in the previous movies. If you were injured it was more often than not the killing blow, whereas now getting grazed by a lightsaber, while it surely hurts like hell, isn't game over. It's definitely more fun to watch.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Elaura » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:03 pm

I never understood the physics of lightsaber injuries. I mean Obi Wan disappeared when hit once in the arm and Luke's hand was severed, but also completely cauterized so that it hurt like hell but didn't bleed. I guess my question would be, does a lightsaber have a rheostat like a phaser?
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Jac » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:17 pm

I think lightsabers are focused plasma beams. Obi Wan disappeared because he let himself be taken by the Force to force (sorry) Luke to handle Vader without him being a crutch.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Drakkmore » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:17 am

Darth Vader's Light Saber had two small knobs on it that allowed him to increase, and decrease both the blade length, and the intensity of the blade. If that is what you mean having rheostats, Then yes. As every Jedi must craft their own light saber, they can incorporate what they want into their weapon design. But even as Jac said Obi-wan didn't so much as disintegrate, but released him self to the force. Obi-wan's light saber cauterized the arm in the cantina too.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby soap » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:29 pm

So Drakkmore, see it yet?

I enjoyed it, at first all the repeated beats from a new hope annoyed me, but when they started mixing up the beats I didn't mind as much.

I fell like it was exactly what it needed to be. Looking forward to Rogue One. ... also mentally ready for 10 years of Star Wars, one movie each year. You know they'll do it, superheroe movies are doing it and its working. Not saying I want to see them all, juste ready to accept their constant presense.

As sor the Star Trek, I'm a big fan of the old Trek, more then the new. I accept the newTrek for what it is, but yes its different. I don't think they'll ever go back to olď Trek. We could make another topic for StarTrek, StarGate.

but yeah starwars will be thriving,ill bet on that.
photobucket sucks... need to upload a new sig.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Postby Drakkmore » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Yeah I finally saw "The Force Awakens" Soap. It was good, and yeah they did reuse some of the plot elements from A New Hope, but it was different enough that I enjoyed it all the way through. I was kind of Let down about Luke only having like a few moments of screen time, but I was prepared for that due to the existence of the Webternetz (if you want to be surprised about a movie now days you have to stay away from any, and everything that can connect to the webternetz). I too am waiting for "Rogue One". I like the idea of Darth Vader being the Bad ass terror monger he was in "A New Hope" ,and "The Empire Strikes back", and I'm hoping that he'll be that bad ass in "Rogue One".
As Star Trek goes I enjoyed the original series well enough when I was a little turd, and still do like it today. I was never really terribly caught up in TNG, but I liked Voyager, and Deep Space Nine fine enough. I wasn't terribly interested in the Captain Backula series though, but that was just me. I've made my opinions of the Two newer Star Trek movies known, and am hopeful that the next one isn't along the same lines that the other two took (though I suspect it will be). I would love to see a reboot of the Stargate series, or even a few movies based in the Stargate Universe. I thoroughly enjoyed Stargate: SG1, Stargate: Atlantis, and Stargate: Universe, and would love to see more. Just to show how much I like Stargate I made these for my Modtown plot:
Modtown Stargate Models.jpg

Yes that's Morrowind.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby soap » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:29 am

cool, glad you enjoyed the Force awakens.

As for StarGate I believe I read their working on a trillogy reboot. I have mixed feelings about it, I'm not crazy about them forgetting all the TV series lore and history.
photobucket sucks... need to upload a new sig.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Previous

Return to Anything Goes