The Yule Thread

Post what you like here. No adult content, please.

The Yule Thread

Postby Elaura » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:31 am

Please feel free to tell us how you spend your winter holidays. I know we have some members just dying to explain the origins of our modern day celebrations. Please refrain from using negative language in reference to others' beliefs. Though comparisons will inevitably be drawn, I also advise everyone to tread lightly when discussing who stole what from whom.

Just a few to start you off:

• Yuletide: Generally, the time between the last month of the old year and the first month of the New Year, with the Winter Solstice included. Some histories indicate it began some time in November and ended some time in January by the modern calendar. (ed. note: I won't spoil the fun by going into further details.)
  • Advent: Sunday, November 30, 2014 (fourth Sunday preceding Christmas Day) to Wednesday, December 24, 2014
  • Chalica: first week of December
  • Bodhi Day: Monday, December 8, 2014
  • Hanukkah: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 to Wednesday, December 24, 2014
  • Winter Solstice: Sunday, December 21, 2014
  • Pancha Ganapati: Sunday, December 21, 2014 to Thursday, December 25, 2014
  • Christmas: Thursday, December 25, 2014
  • Newtonmas: Thursday, December 25, 2014 (Isaac Newton's birthday on the Julian calendar.)
  • Kwanzaa: Friday, December 26, 2014 to Thursday, January 1, 2015
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas: Christmas Day to January 6, 2015
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Re: The Yule Thread

Postby Adul » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:48 am

Nothing out of the ordinary here, generally speaking I'm not a particularly festive type of person. Although I am looking forward to starting a special project that I've been concocting lately. If all goes well I'm going to start a new playthrough of Morrowind and I'll be broadcasting it over the ol' YouTube, so I suppose that's my project for the holiday season. :happy:

What about you, E? Anything in particular you and Jac are looking forward to this year?
Adul
Warden

Postby Jac » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Ham!

Seriously, have you had a good spiral sliced ham that all you had to do was heat it up? If not, you don't know what you're missing. And the gravy I can make from that thing... Damn, now I want ham!
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby fleet » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Let's see, the Christmas traditions in my household:
Not date specific:
Visit holiday light display at nearby Army post (5 mile drive)
Have Christmas dinner, exchange gifts, and play ornament swap game with any family able to come to our home
Participate as actors in 'Walk through Bethlehem' (re-enactment of the birth of Jesus)

Date specific:
Christmas Eve: attend church
Christmas Day: Exchange gifts with my life partner
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby Adul » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Jac wrote:Ham!

Oh yeah, eating my way into a food coma goes without saying. :biggrin:
Adul
Warden

Postby Elaura » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:18 pm

I have memories of Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, the Yule log, the Advent candles, getting up on the roof and hanging lights complete with plastic Santa. Going out into the tree farm and choosing a tree, being a farm animal in the Christmas play.

Nowadays, I'm more the Yuletide type. When I think of this season, I really do think of it as a season rather than a day. We have a lot of compromises in our house. Mom misses the traditional and because she can't decorate anymore, I do it, but with common sense and my limitations in mind. We have a gel-fuel fireplace on which we hang our stockings and a pop-up pre-decorated, pre-lit tree.

I'm usually wiped out if I try to clean and decorate in the same week, so I start early. Jac has either helped, when my stepdad was alive, or cooked the whole traditional meal. The meal and stocking stuffers are about all we can afford these days, so no presents except what we get in the mail from other family members.

However, if it was just the two of us, I think Jac and I would probably forego the celebration altogether. We would probably just partake of the seasonal fare at the grocery store, make spiced cider and hot chocolate and snuggle down, thankful we have everything we need to get through the Winter.

We're just like that. We stay away from the rush and crush as much as possible, we don't watch TV very often, and our idea of gift-giving is ordering something special online. We tend to acknowledge our blessings quietly and let the world go about its frenzy outside.

As for the religious aspect, I like the story of Christ's birth. The Nativity is always a part of our decorations, but the date doesn't matter. Frankly, if I were to be quite honest, I would have to say the birth of a savior isn't as important to me as His sacrifice, so, on a Christian level, for me Easter is a more poignant celebration.

I feel a strong connection to the Natural world, too, so that kind of explains my "seasonal" perspective. I prefer to recognize the Winter Festival, the Spring Festival, the Summer Festival, and the Harvest Festival all falling with the solstices and equinoxes in the middle. At those times I contemplate both the religious calendar as well as the agricultural. If I had my druthers, the world would revert to the agriculturally-based calendar and bring back a true Yuletide. I like the idea of a time between years when a body can just exist, without time pressing down, even for just a little while.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:23 am

All my Christmas plans are currently rotting in heaven. (Okay, now I will just explain what I mean by Heaven. For me, Heaven is a really boring place where a guy called god gives orders that you follow to the word, or get your ass kicked to another galaxy, and hell is a cool, dark place where all you do is hang back and dance in Nightclubs)

What was I saying, yeah, Christmas. I'm currently unable to go places, I just stay at home and play nice, nice new games. Like Splinter Cell Conviction, The Darkness II, Darksiders, Saints Row IV (I'm kind of a serious gamer, but that game is ridiculously fun, and it even has Jane Austen in it) and of course GTA V and our dear Elder Scrolls.

Then my mom bakes me nice cakes and cookies.

Enjoy the fun till it gets cold

Shadow
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby fleet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 pm

fleet wrote:Let's see, the Christmas traditions in my household:
Not date specific:
Visit holiday light display at nearby Army post (5 mile drive)
Have Christmas dinner, exchange gifts, and play ornament swap game with any family able to come to our home
Participate as actors in 'Walk through Bethlehem' (re-enactment of the birth of Jesus)

Date specific:
Christmas Eve: attend church
Christmas Day: Exchange gifts with my life partner

Much the same this year (2017).
We have family visits on 27 DEC (older daughter, her husband and grand-kids) and on 30 DEC (younger daughter and her spouse).
New member of the household this year, Felicity came to live with us on 13 DEC.
IMG_0545.JPG
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby Fenrir » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 pm

aaaaaa precious kitty i want one

Fen's working this year, like last year. All day 24 and 25. Gotta love it. Probably just gonna have a frozen burger for dinner, maybe play some RPGs.

Let's hear all your plans, I wanna feel bad.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:19 am

Merry Christmas, wolflore!

Wassup?

As for plans, well my private jet seems to have vanished, along with my Ferrarri, my very expensive imported Scotch, so I'm just going to sit here and drink egg nog with brandy til my eyes cross... then me and Elvis are gonna do a little jammin with "I'll be home for Christmas..." :)
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to Anything Goes