Cooking method: pork tenderloin

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Cooking method: pork tenderloin

Postby Jac » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm

This isn't a recipe so much as a cooking method I use when I make pork tenderloin: a pressure cooker. That's right, I use a pressure cooker. I don't immerse the loin into the water, though. Instead I fill a ceramic bowl* about 3/4ths of the way full, put it in the bottom of the cooker, and fill the cooker up to where the water level in the bowl is. Then I put the grate on top of the bowl and make a bowl out of aluminum foil for the loin. That goes on top and the whole thing is pressure cooked for about 45 minutes on low heat after the cooker has been pressurized. After that, it's just a matter of browning the sides in a skillet with about 2-3 tbsp of oil until each side is brown. Let it rest while I make gravy and I have a perfect roast that's nice and crunchy (and brown) on the outside while staying so moist on the inside that it can be cut with a fork. For gravy I whisk in 3/4 cup of flour into the oil I used to brown the meat, making sure I grab the drippings from the roast. I whisk over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until I can smell the flour cooking. Turn off the heat and stir in 2 cups of chicken broth. Return to medium heat and whisk frequently until the gravy coats the back of a wooden spoon (it will set after you turn the heat off, so don't worry if it isn't thick enough at first). Ladle that over the roast and mashed potatoes and you have yourself a real stick to your ribs meal that'll fair just fine reheated in the microwave.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Return to The Iron Skillet