Cheesy Mostaccioli

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Cheesy Mostaccioli

Postby Denina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm

This is an Italian dish I got from a friend that I'd made off and on for years. My husband got a hold of it and figured out how to make it better. Here's his version:

1 - 16 oz box mostaccioli or ziti noodles.
1 - 32 oz jar of spaghetti sauce (We get meat sauce, but you can get what you want).
1 can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup. Don't dilute it.
1 cup sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded.
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded.
1 lb ground beef, 80/20 works great, don't go any lower fat than that.
4 oz sliced pepperoni.
1 tbsp cottage cheese.
About half of a medium-sized onion, chopped or minced.
2 cloves of garlic, minced (fresh is best).
More shredded cheese, to preference.
Black pepper, to preference.
You should not need to add any salt to this as there will be plenty from the sauce, soup and cheeses.

You will need a large skillet, a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan (glass is best if you have it), a large, sturdy mixing spoon, a regular tablespoon, a dutch oven or equivalent size pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook and drain mostaccioli according to package directions to al dente firmness in dutch oven or equivalent size pot. While pasta is cooking, brown the ground beef, pepperoni, onion and garlic in a large skillet. Once meat is cooked, condense as much meat as possible to one side of the pan and tilt the pan so the liquid goes to one side. Once you have done this, add a little flour to the liquid and stir to make a roux. Once you've made the roux, stir it back into the meat, coating well. If you don't have enough room to do this, you can just add the flour to the whole thing and stir really well.

After draining the pasta, pour noodles back into the dutch oven. Add the meat mixture, spaghetti sauce, cheese soup and cottage cheese to the dutch oven. Stir well. Then, add the 1 cup each of the cheeses. Stir well after each addition. The cheese will probably not melt all the way as of yet. This is fine.

Set ungreased 13 x 9 x 2 pan on an even, firm surface. Give yourself plenty of space. Spoon contents of dutch oven into the pan until the pot is light enough to lift and pour the rest at once. The pot will be very heavy so be careful. Once it's in the pan, even it out and then layer more cheese over the top until covered. My husband likes to do a thin layer of sharp cheddar with a heavier layer of mozzarella over the top but you can do it however you want to.

Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until top cheese is melted and bubbly. (Check after 30 minutes though.)

This is a great dish to have for company as it's very creamy and very yummy. My husband and I eat it with garlic bread and sometimes a salad too. We can easily get 3-4 meals each out of it. It's a semi-expensive dish due to all the cheese but you can get several meals out of it so it's not that bad. And you can adjust the cheese amount to make it less expensive. My husband and I don't make this dish often because it's extremely high calorie, but it's a great treat.

And though the directions may make it seem like a lot of work, it's actually really easy to make since it's a skillet, dutch oven and baking pan.

I think I remembered everything but if you have any questions, let me know.
Denina
Associate

Re: Cheesy Mostaccioli

Postby DARoot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 pm

I love it!
:hubba:
I have tried it, and it is Brilliant!
:biggrin:
Well, Done, Denina!
[And, kudos to your husband, for the "improvements"
[See? We males sometimes have our uses ...]

DARoot