Sister's Simple Regular German Recipes

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Re: Sister's Simple Regular German Recipes

Postby DARoot » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 am

They look good to me, Sister!
:wave:
DARoot
DARoot

Postby Jac » Tue May 08, 2012 11:01 am

I think I see flour spots in those dumplings, Sister. But as DARoot said, they do look good. :biggrin:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby DARoot » Tue May 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Invite either one of us (Jac or Myself) over, and we will doubtless enjoy your cooking, WHATEVER it "looks like."
:biggrin:
DARoot
DARoot

Postby Sister » Tue May 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Jac wrote:I think I see flour spots in those dumplings, Sister. But as DARoot said, they do look good. :biggrin:

That isn't flour in flour-sense. You make those dumplings out of cracked/hackled buns and what you see there (or at least what I hope I see) is parts of the buns that are in their original state.

Here you can see it a bit better:

DARoot wrote:Invite either one of us (Jac or Myself) over, and we will doubtless enjoy your cooking, WHATEVER it "looks like."
:biggrin:
DARoot

Eh... If you ever come to Germany I would be honoured to wine and dine you :bouncy:

After taking them out of the water and heaten them again just in steam, they became the way they usually should be. But I now think I know what my mistake was.

And because it is so good and you may want just a sauce without any roast or braised meat I give you my fake roast meat sauce :-D

Fake Roast Meat Sauce

150 gr beef as a piece or in cubes
a bit of fat like butter, lard or bacon fat
a teaspoon flour
two onions cut into cubes or rings
1 1/2 cup of water or better broth
spices, salt, pepper

Cut the beef into very fine cubes (but no ground beef) about 4 mm each edge. Put fat into a quite wide pot and wait till hot. Throw in the beef, pour the flour over it and roast the fine cubes until brown. Add the onions and roast them too. The beef and the flour should not burn, the onions bring enough moist with them. If you are unsure, pour the cup of liquid (water or broth) on the meat before you add the onions, otherwise you put it in after the onions roasted a bit.
Add spices, herbs and salt until the taste satisfies you and cook until the onions are soft. Should make two to three cups.

Very good to just saltened potatoes and of course for the very filling dumplings (or potatoe dumplings).

"Kloß mit Soß" (Kloce mid Soce) means "Dumplings with Sauce" and is a very popular meal for children on the bavarian menus. While the parents eat the whole serving with meat, vegetable, dumpling and sauce this heavy meal is just too much for the kids. So they get simple dumplings with sauce and my bavarian friends often tell me that they now as adults sometimes wish they could just order that simple children's dinner (which is usually not possible - don't ask me why).
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Title: laboratory animal

Postby Jac » Tue May 08, 2012 6:42 pm

A friend of mine was talking about possibly marrying a German girl. If he does and we can afford the plane ticket there, we'll definitely look you up, Sister. Given ticket prices and that we're on a fixed income, that may not happen. Anyway, we'll have to try this out if we get a chance. :shades:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Elaura » Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 pm

I love a cook who isn't afraid to cook with lard and butter! I loved the little bit of Germany I got to see when I was there. Nah, if our friend does marry that German girl, we'll be there and we'll definitely look you up. I don't care if we end up in debt to our eyeballs, it's an experience I wouldn't let Jac miss.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Sister » Wed May 09, 2012 4:25 am

I cook with butter - I even found a good working way to make most tender steaks in butter. I don't know what's word over in the US but here margarine counts as less healthy than butter. At least those brands you can fry and bake with. And traditional German cuisine uses especially lard (because butter was much too expensive in earlier days).

And tasty lard with apples, onions and crispies on a fresh warm slice of bread is so simple and good.
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Title: laboratory animal

Postby Jac » Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Margarine is very unhealthy when compared to butter because I believe it has higher trans-fat or something along those lines. We have vegetable oil spreads, but they're not much better. We use good old unsalted butter on our bread and in our cooking; I use lard when I'm seasoning my cast iron. :biggrin:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Dragon Wench » Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Wow! These look great, and they bring back so many memories. My mother was Dutch/German and she used to make a lot of these things, I particularly remember her rouladen. I am going to have to give these recipes a try sometime, thank you so much for sharing!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe:
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion;
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.
Dragon Wench
Journeyman

Previous

Return to The Iron Skillet