Cold Sesame Noodles with Summer Vegetables

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Cold Sesame Noodles with Summer Vegetables

Postby Dragon Wench » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Admittedly, this is not quite the right season for noodle salad, but I love this dish and actually made it yesterday, despite the grey skies and the rain pattering at my window. You can chop all the veggies and whip together the dressing while the water is boiling for the noodles, so it's great if you want a fast meal.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... s-51104410

Ingredients

1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I suggest 1/4 cup or less)
1 tablespoon Sriracha (hot chili sauce)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
8 cups matchstick-size pieces mixed summer vegetables (such as carrots, radishes, cucumbers, and bell peppers; about 1 1/4 pounds)***
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
8 ounces buckwheat soba (Japanese-style noodles) or vermicelli noodles
1 cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves with tender stems
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon black or white sesame seeds

Preparation

Whisk first four ingredients in a large bowl. Add vegetables; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain. Run noodles under cold water to cool them; drain well and add to bowl with vegetables. Add cilantro and scallions; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle sesame seeds over and serve.

***Instead of radishes (which I suspect is an attempt to substitute daikon) I use sushi ginger, which I find goes incredibly well with the flavours. I just don't think the sharp, pungent flavour of western radishes would work, but that is just me. If you do this, though, bear in mind that it can be pretty intense, so be careful how much you put in. I throw in somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 cup, depending on my mood.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe:
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion;
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.
Dragon Wench
Journeyman

Re: Cold Sesame Noodles with Summer Vegetables

Postby fable2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 am

I like the sound of this. I would probably add paprika and tons of garlic, but that's just me. ;) It sounds great, regardless.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Re: Cold Sesame Noodles with Summer Vegetables

Postby Dragon Wench » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:38 am

fable2 wrote:I like the sound of this. I would probably add paprika and tons of garlic, but that's just me. ;) It sounds great, regardless.

I think that would work. It really is one of those dishes where you can tailor it to suit personal preference.

One thing I really would suggest, though, is if you can hunt them down, use soba noodles. They have a certain flavour, texture and lightness to them that vermicelli doesn't quite match. But again, this is all subjective.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe:
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion;
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.
Dragon Wench
Journeyman

Return to The Iron Skillet