Picture size limit

If there's something you want to see or if you have a question, let us know here. No adult content, please.

Picture size limit

Postby IanB » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 pm

I just tried to link some pictures hosted elsewhere (on my own site) so not an issue for your bandwidth, and I found there was a size limit of 600 x 450 pixels! That's practically a postage stamp! I'd already resized down to 800 pixels wide, easily enough for any modern screen setup (never mind the ubiquity of widescreen now), so I was shocked to find that not enough.

I'd understand if I'd been trying to upload into your site so it would affect your bandwidth, but not for externally linked images. I'm also familiar with the problem on tech forums where people upload desktop widescreen screengrabs without resizing, which breaks the forum views (depending on the table layout in the board's HTML) and causes horizontal scrolling for entire threads, which is intensely annoying. :rant:

But please, can this limit be raised to something more realistic?
IanB
Associate

Re: Picture size limit

Postby Elaura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Actually, we don't find 600x450 to be unrealistic, IanB. For the very reason you stated, we have decided on that particular size to prevent breaking forum format. We are also taking into consideration that not all of our members are on highspeed internet connections. Just as we make certain our site is viewable by as many browsers as possible, we want to make sure the people on dial-up can enjoy our site, without putting too much of a crimp in anyone else's style.

As far as bandwidth goes, Jac and I live in a rural area and the only option other than dial-up was to pay for anything over 5GB per month, which does get expensive at $.05/MB. It does affect us, because we have to keep an eye on all threads here and that means downloading images in posts and signatures. Luckily we have free server space, so at least that isn't a problem for Wolflore itself. One of our moderators is on dial-up, however.

So far, 600x480 has been satisfactory, since anyone is welcome to upload their image as an attachment, or link the smaller image to the original off-site. I'm sorry, but I don't see this limit being raised any time in the near future. Thank you for your suggestion, though.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Lady Moiraine » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Here Ian, check out my thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=305

Just quote my post and you'll see the code, do it this this way, where ever you upload your screens too MUST have a thumbnail image, just use that as the image we see, and link the larger screenshot to the thumbnail. The thumbnail (mine says medium_) goes in the middle and the full size screen goes at the first URL= . This way we can see the full size and you won't exceed the limit. ;)

Here, you can download my code "workshop" here, it just a small notepad text file:
http://www.ladymoiraine.com/forum/index ... attach=647
Lady Moiraine
Apprentice

Postby IanB » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 pm

OK, if it's a local bandwidth issue for you I understand. In that case reducing it to effectively enforce a thumbnails-only board might be better, as Lady Moraine suggests to do. Where it is now, it's neither one thing nor the other, which is a bit confusing since it seems as if you're still encouraging pics to be posted...
IanB
Associate

Postby Elaura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 pm

That's not exactly what Lady M is suggesting. I believe what she is suggesting is what she has done in her thread, which is post the pic within the size limits and make the pic itself a link to a larger version.

For example:

The code for this is:

Code: Select all
[url=http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/glenda_69/Tulips.jpg][imgr 600x480]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/glenda_69/Tulips.jpg[/imgr][/url]

As you can see, anyone could decide from the 600x480 pic whether or not they want to click on it to see the larger image.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Lady Moiraine » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Elaura wrote:That's not exactly what Lady M is suggesting. I believe what she is suggesting is what she has done in her thread, which is post the pic within the size limits and make the pic itself a link to a larger version.

For example:

The code for this is:

[url=http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/glenda_69/Tulips.jpg][imgr 600x480]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/glenda_69/Tulips.jpg[/imgr][/url]

As you can see, anyone could decide from the 600x480 pic whether or not they want to click on it to see the larger image.

Yup, that's exactly what I was saying. Even on my boards, we have to have a smaller size limit then we can link to a bigger one. This keeps the loading time down for people with a slower host. Thanks Elaura, I keep forgetting that code function, even at my place, it really comes in handy!

This is the code without an image:
[url=addy][img]image addy here[/img][/url]
Lady Moiraine
Apprentice

Postby Elaura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:39 pm

The imgr is a custom code I added that allows you to resize the image on the fly without having to manipulate the image and then upload it again. I installed it for jax, but it seems to have wider applications than I originally thought.
Elaura
Chaplain

Return to Comments & Questions