2D, Turn Based MediFantasy RPG w/ Job System

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: 2D, Turn Based MediFantasy RPG w/ Job System

Postby Adul » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:41 am

Oh right, job as in profession, not as in work. My bad. :biggrin:

I think D:OS fits at least partially then, as there you have the option to specialize in a couple of different skills or invest in a wide array of skills but never really peak your ability in them. It's basically a point-spend system where you can mix and match skills from different professions.

What you described also sounds similar to the dual-classing and multiclassing systems from D&D, which you can find for example in Baldur's Gate, the game that inspired PoE. BG is also 2D and fantasy, not quite turn-based but rather real-time with pause, similarly to PoE (but done better in my opinion).
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:45 am

Baldur's Gate is a series I've really been meaning to try out, where do you recommend I start?
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:27 pm

I'd say your best bet is to get Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from Steam or GOG, and start from the beginning. In BG it's probably in your best interest to play the games in order more so than usual, because you can import your character from one game to the next, so you can essentially raise your character with the same care you would a pet. :biggrin:

This is the chronological order of the games:

1. The original Baldur's Gate and the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. These take place on the same world map so they can be played simultaneously.
  2. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. This is the second BG1 expansion released last year by Beamdog, who are not the original developers. They did a pretty good job, but I don't think it's quite up to the quality standard set by Bioware. Can be skipped or pushed to the end of the list. Maybe check out a trailer and see if it interests you when the time comes.
  3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
  4. Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, the only expansion pack to BG2.

Also, be wary of spoilers. Similar to the original Star Wars films, the Baldur's Gate series has a big plot point that everyone on the internet seems to like to spoil for new players.

If you have any questions, let me know. As you can probably tell, I'm the resident Baldur's Gate fanboy.
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:56 pm

I have actually never HEARD anything about the series' story, so as long as no one goes on a spoiling crusade here, I should be safe. Appreciate it, gonna look into BG as soon as I get paid.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Jac » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Fenrir wrote:I do have a very important question, though
Can I recruit the dog?

You can have it follow you like any other pet, but it won't do any fighting. Just talk to it and ask it to follow you.

Adul wrote:If you have any questions, let me know. As you can probably tell, I'm the resident Baldur's Gate fanboy.

Ah, that would be second resident fanboy. :mockery:

But as Adul said, the BG series was a great one. I'd get it from GOG since you won't have to worry about having Steam running all the time when you want to play. Just make sure you grab the patches as well because the original EE release had some...issues.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 pm

New job is pretty fast with the payday so I should be all over it. Just gonna binge-play all weekend.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Am I just really bad at videogames or is Pillar of Eternity actually this hard? From Black Meadow onwards, all my party members get knocked out in pretty much every sizeable fight.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Jac » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:38 am

Fenrir wrote:Am I just really bad at videogames or is Pillar of Eternity actually this hard? From Black Meadow onwards, all my party members get knocked out in pretty much every sizeable fight.

It's not easy. What difficulty are you playing on?
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Fenrir » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:56 am

Easy.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Adul » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:42 pm

Jac wrote:Ah, that would be second resident fanboy. :mockery:

Psssh, there goes my plan to steal your title. :censored:
Adul