2D, Turn Based MediFantasy RPG w/ Job System

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: 2D, Turn Based MediFantasy RPG w/ Job System

Postby Fenrir » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:57 pm

The Sun one. Flaming fists of any sort are just what I was looking for.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Good, good. That should keep the zombies at bay. :zombiegrave:
Adul
Warden

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:57 am

Ah, good old BG!

I've heard bad things about the Enhanced Edition.

How does it stack up to the good old stuff?

Also i heard dialogue got changed up and fmv sequences got removed.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby Adul » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:19 pm

At this point I vastly prefer the EE to modded Tutu/BGT. It did have a pretty rough start with bugs and missing features, but they've been patching it constantly, and by now I think it's the best version of BG that has ever existed.

The dialog is the same, except for the newly added companions who are, of course, completely optional. And I think they changed the dialog for the tutorial areas to include the new features.

Some videos have indeed been removed and they remain missing. But luckily there's a solution. I recommend using the BG:EE Classic Movies mod that replaces all of the videos, including the missing ones, with the original videos (which are mostly better anyway).

Otherwise it's mostly the same as modded Tutu except it has a better UI, a faster graphics renderer, tons of bug fixes, new companions, new quests, new areas, new class kits, camera zoom, camera drag, loads of added game options and externalized features, visually improved areas, more detailed combat feedback, and an entire new expansion pack.

I probably forgot some stuff, too. :chinscratch:
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 pm

I do have a big question, since I've always been a fan, is there any sort of lycanthropy or a mod for it?
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Adul » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:17 am

There's a druid kit named shapeshifter that's centered around turning into a werewolf. Other druids can also shapeshift into animal forms and/or summon animals.
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 am

Hot damn, this game has everything, don't it?
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Adul » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 am

Yeah... I wish Bioware still had this sort of abundance of options in the games they're making. But then again, it seems to me that all the big developers do nowadays is remove options from their new games and sequels.

"What percentage of players used the spear weapon class? Only 4%? That's not financially sound at all! No more spears!"
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Come to think of it, none of the Dragon Age games have Spears, do they?
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Adul » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:00 pm

I've only ever played the first one and couldn't remember what weapon types it had, so I decided to make a little list comparing the huge fantasy RPGs:

Baldur's Gate II has 27 weapon types: clubs, maces, quarterstaves, war hammers, axes, throwing axes, flails, morningstars, spears, halberds, daggers, throwing daggers, short swords, long swords, bastard swords, two-handed swords, scimitars, wakazashis, ninjatos, katanas, short bows, longbows, composite longbows, light crossbows, heavy crossbows, slings, darts.

Dragon Age: Origins has 11 weapon types: battleaxes, greatswords, mauls, daggers, waraxes, longswords, maces, longbows, shortbows, crossbows, staves.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has 10 weapon types: axes, daggers, dual-blade daggers, maces, swords, greataxes, greatswords, mauls, bows, staves.

Morrowind has 24 weapon types: war axes, battle axes, clubs, maces, warhammers, staves, daggers, short swords, wakizashis, tantos, long swords, broadswords, sabers, katanas, claymores, dai-katanas, spears, halberds, short bows, longbows, crossbows, thowing knives, throwing stars, darts.

Oblivion has 13 weapon types: daggers, shortswords, longswords, katanas, cutlasses, claymores, dai-katanas, maces, war axes, clubs, battle axes, warhammers, bows.

Skyrim has 9 weapon types: daggers, swords, war axes, maces, greatswords, battleaxes, warhammers, bows, crossbows.

Of course weapon types are not the only aspect of character variation that the game industry had decided to take a massive shit on in the early 2000s, in fact I think they're very much indicative of a larger trend that's been responsible for the simplification - or to put it in buzz terms, dumbing down - of the genre.

I guess those huge budgets for graphical fidelity and marketing had to come from somewhere, eh?
Adul
Warden

Previous

Return to 2D & 3D Games