2D, Turn Based MediFantasy RPG w/ Job System

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

2D, Turn Based MediFantasy RPG w/ Job System

Postby Fenrir » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Looking for recommendations of games that follow the title. Been in that mood for awhile. The big thing is that I want a game with a "Job" system akin to Final Fantasy 5, I love being able to design my party exactly as I want it. Not picky about when it was made, just as long as it's something that's pretty easy to access on a PC.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Re: 2D, Turn Based MediFantasy RPG w/ Job System

Postby Jac » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Pillars of Eternity is a 2D game and is pseudo-turn based. It doesn't have a job system, but you can fill out your party anyway you like - none of the NPC companions are required to play the story.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Fenrir » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:53 pm

I think I got that from a giveaway here, awhile ago. Gonna have to give that another try, but the job system is something I love. That or something like White Knight Chronicles where you can build up characters from scratch more or less.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Jac » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Fenrir wrote:That or something like White Knight Chronicles where you can build up characters from scratch more or less.

If you hire hirelings at an inn, you can customize them anyway you want. They'll always be a level behind your main character until they hit the max level, but you can customize them exactly the same as you do your main. Just remember to hire them early because it's ~ 200 gold per level and can get quite expensive. You can customize your NPC companions to a lesser extent and the IE mod allows you to customize their attributes as well.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Fenrir » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm actually liking POE a whole bunch now, not sure why I never got into it the first time I tried.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Jac » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm glad. :) It's probably because it's not a 3rd person RPG like the TES series is; it's more along the lines of the original Baldur's Gate games. I like it, but since it doesn't use the AD&D ruleset, it took me a bit to get used to it as well.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Fenrir » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:11 pm

I just dig how intuitive it all is. J is your Journal, M's your map, I's the inventory, click on something jn a merchant's inventory to buy it, click on something in your inventory to sell it. It just does everything in ways that make sense, when too many games complicate simple things.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Fenrir » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:41 pm

I do have a very important question, though
Can I recruit the dog?
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Adul » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:07 am

I also recommend Divinity: Original Sin. Fantasy turn-based RPG with great combat and lots of content. Not 2D, but rather 3D with axonometric view. Not sure what the job system you mentioned entails so I can't tell if it has anything similar, but it has typical main quests and side quests.
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:28 am

The job system more or less comes down to any character can learn any two skills. A Knight that can perform "destructive" magic, healing mage and a thief, that sorta thing. For now, the Cipher class in POE actually has me fairly satisfied in that regard.
Fenrir
Defender

Next

Return to 2D & 3D Games