Starbound

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Starbound

Postby Adul » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:03 pm

http://playstarbound.com/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... pc-review/

I played this game a little bit a few years ago when it was fairly early in development, but then I decided to wait for the release not to spoil the fun in advance. Now that it's finally out, I'm only waiting on one of my friends to be available so that the two of us can start playing it in multiplayer.

As far as I can tell, it's pretty much Terraria in space, with similar building/crafting mechanics, but also quests and an infinite universe to explore. Which hopefully is as much fun as it sounds.

Anyone else playing this or planning to?
Adul
Warden

Re: Starbound

Postby fable2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:52 pm

I thought about it a couple of years ago, and was thinking about it more recently. But there are still complaints about bugs, so I'll probably wait six months or so until it's all fixed.

Then...I'll think some more. :whistling:
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Fenrir » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:11 am

Wait, finally out as in they finally put out the 1.0 release?
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:25 am

Yup. Apparently miracles do happen.
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:11 am

The downside of it being in early access for so long is I've gotten bored of it. I bought it ages ago and have mostly played all the builds, what could they possibly have out in the finished version to bring someone back?
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Adul » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:33 am

I get ya Fen, I've had similar experiences in the past, that's why I wanted to avoid playing it earlier. As a general rule of thumb I avoid early access, because if I'm interested in a game chances are I'm better off playing the "finished" version. That said, some early access games never really get "finished", they just get released when the devs get bored with making them. Unfortunately, early access has been a pox on the indie game industry since its conception.

But since you played Starbound before, do you remember when was the last build you played? Was the game any good then? I've heard critics say progression gets overly repetitive and tiresome on higher levels, since you never really get past the mining stage. Did you get that?
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:04 pm

The game definitely goes past all the mining from the last build I played, it wasn't that long ago. If you haven't played in awhile I do suggest you at least give it another shot.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Fenrir » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:01 pm

This just in, Fen's a big dumb idiot who doesn't know shit. 1.0 release has changed dramatically, hot damn. Check it out if you bought it and lost interest.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Adul » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:32 pm

I've played Starbound for the last few days, and it's fun, in limited doses. Has a tendency of getting tedious if played for long. Equipment progression is very linear, and you'll need to repeat the same tasks at each rank, each in a new(ish) environment. Luckily, the devs were sensible enough to distribute some ore in chests and as loot, so when you're sick of mining, you can get more ore by exploring the surface of new planets. Though I wish you gained ore more rapidly this way. Mining is, frankly, boring in this game.

I also miss the unique and interesting equipment progression from the mid-to-late-game of Terraria where certain ores could only be acquired by summoning and slaying bosses, and unique weapons could be found in tough, high-level biomes like the dungeon and the underground jungle. Nothing in Starbound compares to this. You can mine and raid chests for random drops. That's it.

Combat is pretty one note as well, there's an abundance of monster appearances across the Universe, but on every planet the mobs behave in very similar ways. Flying creatures will dive at you, ground creatures will charge at you, and very rarely you'll find a monster type that shoots or has a unique attack. Most enemies feel the same. Weapons are fun though, there's a large number of weapon types and each plays fairly differently. I went from dual semiautomatic pistols to sniper rifles, to spears, to axe and shield, to rocket launchers, to "high-tech" staves (magic spells), to dual laser beamguns, to assault rifles. My typical loadout has a combination of at least three different weapon types. All of them feel powerful and they're enjoyable to use. I wish we had the same meaningful variation in enemies.

Now the fact that you can explore a near-infinite universe is pretty great. In Terraria you need to live with the destruction your activities cause to your environment, while in Starbound you get to move on to exploit other planets. :biggrin: There's also a large number of different planet types (biomes) and each biome has a number of sub-biomes that you can encounter even while exploring the same planet. For example, a mutated planet may have an eyeball-themed sub-biome, an alien-themed sub-biome, a meat-themed sub-biome, etc. And each biome and sub-biome has various structures, dungeons, and/or towns that can spawn there that are unique to that biome. There's good variation to what you can find.

Randomized towns look absolutely amazing and give interesting insights into the cultures and living conditions of the various races you can encounter, but are otherwise useless. Well, not entirely, as you can loot the containers in the houses, which tend to have pretty good loot in them. But other than that, all randomized towns and NPCs are good for is to spawn randomized quests, which are awful. They're your typical fetch-quests and bounties, with a few variants per quest type, all of which you will be completely sick of after playing the game for a few hours. If I never see another random quest in Starbound, I'll die a happy man.

The main story is similarly tedious, although not nearly to the same extent. The main quests consist of one research quest, one story mission, repeated 7 or so times (haven't played the main quest through yet, so I'm not sure about the ending). The research quests are the tedious part, where you need to visit and explore certain planet types to find civilizations of certain races and scan their unique objects and structures. It was a fun and unique quest the first time. The fourth time, not so much. The story missions are much better, these are pregenerated dungeons with unique objectives, unique characters, unique dialog, unique boss fights, etc. These are pretty good.

All in all I think it's worth a try, has about as many strengths as weaknesses. A+ for effort, though! Most devs won't even try to make something new.
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Here are a few screenshots I took:

20160802013334_1.jpg
My ship. Just got done making some living quarters for the crew.

20160802013908_1.jpg
My ground colony and rice farm.

20160802014253_1.jpg
Some awful planet I was recently forced to visit.

20160802021723_1.jpg
One of my favorite locations I've found so far, an underwater hylotl city.
Adul
Warden

Next

Return to 2D & 3D Games