Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

Postby Adul » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 am

Wizards doesn't allow a new game to have an old ruleset, unless there's a good reason, e.g. it's a direct sequel or an expansion. Their first priority is to push their books. Dragonspear is about as fresh an idea as can be and still be approved as a 2nd Ed IE game.

I mentioned Minsc and Boo half-jokingly, but the fact is, the BG companions are what this game is marketed on. It's not a coincidence the above trailer features voiceover from Jim Cummings, and he says things like "my old friend" and "let's embark on another adventure". Those were very conscious decisions by marketing professionals (we know Beamdog hired a third party to make the trailer), because the most memorable thing about Baldur's Gate is its cast of recruitable NPCs. That's what the BG fandom misses and wants to see returning, and it's exactly what Beamdog provides here. Adventure Y was never promised to be anything other than a "new Baldur's Gate adventure", and you can be sure there would be riots in the streets if that didn't feature our favorite ranger and his small furry friend. :biggrin:
Adul
Warden

Postby Dlichnum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Asked the Roomie, and he says it's more than likely that Wizards asked for a lot of money to make a new game, since they wouldn't actually care that much what ruleset was used. More than Beamdog could afford. But then a lower price could be negotiated for an expansion, so they went with that instead.

Or you could be right.

Honestly, most of this is speculation anyway.

I just wish Beamdog would stretch its limits and do something new, rather then mess around with old games forever. It kind of feels like a baby modder with a lot of potential whose too afraid to release anything other than patches for other peoples work. No wait, that doesn't work, since that is literally was Beamdog is. Uh, well, add your own comparison here then. :lol:

I still want a new dnd game though. I'm greedy like that
Dlichnum
Journeyman

Postby Adul » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Wizards is infamous for having a major pole up their asses regarding their rulesets. You're probably right, though, they're not immune to money, so if someone had millions of dollars to give them they could likely use whatever ruleset they wanted to. Nobody is going to do that, though, as it makes no business sense.

The way I see it, Beamdog is the developer who has the rights to develop Baldur's Gate games, so why would they want to do anything but that? There are plenty of other developers who make RPGs, and recently even the isometric tactical RPG has its own little renaissance. This is the very best time to release new Baldur's Gate episodes and make a profit.

And it's not like we were swimming in BG content in the first place. The original game was released in 98, it had an expansion, then a sequel in 2000, and that's about it. Throne of Bhaal was not very good, and fan-made content typically doesn't even come close to the standard of quality I have come to expect of BG. The EEs were very light on content, most of which was not what the fans wanted anyway. I think it's high time for something like this, provided of course it turns out decent.
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Back before the announcement of Dragonspear, Beamdog had sent Chris Avellone an early build of the expansion. He played it through, and sent back pages upon pages of detailed feedback. Of course, not all of this feedback is publicly available, I assume because Chris went into some spoilery details in his response. Still, there are some quotes from the text that Beamdog likes to bandy about which you can find on the SoD website.

The reason why I'm bringing this up now is that Chris has recently given some interviews on Matt Chat and Shane Plays where he talked about Siege of Dragonspear and his opinion of it.

In both interviews, Chris seemed pretty excited about SoD, and has praised many aspects of the expansion.

One thing in particular he talked about was the game's villain, the Shining Lady, who he described as an antagonist who at times seems more heroic than the protagonist. He admires the writing surrounding her character, saying Beamdog has done some things with their villain he hasn't seen being done in games before. Pretty high praise, if you ask me.

Personally, I'm much relieved to hear this, as well-written, complex villains are one of the staples of Baldur's Gate. After the spectacular failure that was Amelyssan in ToB, I think it would be high time we got a lady villain who is "good" enough to join Sarevok and Irenicus in the BG baddie hall of fame. Fingers crossed.

Another thing Chris mentioned were the returning BG1 companions, and he said they feel right. Minsc is of course Minsc, but he said even some of the more complex characters felt like they were the same people he met in BG1. He said some good things about the new companions as well, some of whom he thought were very well-written.

He also complimented the expansion's prologue chapter, which takes place in Baldur's Gate and deals with the aftermath of your BG1 adventure, and has some heavy political themes. He said this part of the story could have been easily compressed down into an intro sentence (like it was in BG2), but he's glad that Beamdog took the time and invested the work necessary to tell it right.

He praised Beamdog's approach of incorporating fan community mods into their games and even hiring modders to help develop them.

Perhaps most importantly, Chris pointed out if there was a possibility for a new Baldur's Gate game, he definitely wants to be involved with it. This is pretty great news as far as I'm concerned. To me Dragonspear kinda feels like it's a dry run to see how well a self-made Beamdog game can do in today's competitive RPG market, and I suspect if it does well enough, a BG3 will follow suit. Beamdog president Trent Oster, as well as several other company higher-ups have already expressed interest in developing BG3.

Overall, I think Chris did a fine job to hype the expansion. After all, I can't be not excited about a game Chris Avellone is excited about. That would be highly illogical. :biggrin:
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:11 am

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/10/baldu ... gons-past/

The devs mentioned there will be some new monster animations, which is definitely new territory for Beamdog.

Also, rumors are this information may or may not have something to do with neothelids:

cc3f22eb833dbe9f74091e2b690612.jpg
Adul
Warden

Postby Jac » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:07 pm

What the hell is that thing?! :scamper:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Adul » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:33 pm

I think it's supposed to be some kind of an illithid birth experiment gone wrong. Illithids are also known as mind flayers, they are a staple psionic baddie race for the Forgotten Realms setting who like to enslave other races and/or suck out their brains for sustenance (and fun).
Adul
Warden

Postby Jac » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:40 pm

I know what an Illithid is, Adul. You forgot to mention each "colony" is governed by a massive brain and the Illithids are slavers. :mockery:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Adul » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:03 pm

Yep, they're great. In fact they're so great that I'm fairly sure they must have been ripped off from somewhere else. After all, we don't typically hear "Forgotten Realms" and "original" in the same sentence very often. :biggrin:

Like, there's some Lovecraftian horror influence in there, for sure.
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Release date: March 31st

Pre-orders are up, and the following editions are available:

$20 for the regular edition

$40 for the digital Deluxe Edition, including the BG soundtrack, the BG:EE soundtrack, and the SoD soundtrack

$130 (plus shipping) for the Collector's Edition box, including all of the above in a decorative slipcase, plus some booklets, a cloth map, and various physical goodies
Adul
Warden

PreviousNext

Return to 2D & 3D Games