Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Postby Adul » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:51 am

http://www.baldursgate.com/

If you visit the link above, you'll find a countdown timer. In about 11 days from now, the next installment in the Baldur's Gate series will be revealed/announced by Beamdog, developers of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. The title is not known yet, but developers and fans have been referring to the project by its work title, Adventure Y. Speculation based on developer domain name purchases has lead many fans to believe the game will be called Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear.

Not much is known about Adventure Y at the moment, but little tidbits of information have been accumulating over at the official BG forums over the past few years, so here's what's currently known:

• Adventure Y will be a sequel to BG1 and a prequel to BG2, the story will take place somewhere between the two games, and follows the original protagonist.
  • The writers took into account original notes from Bioware concerning what happened to make CHARNAME leave Baldur's Gate and how he ended up in Amn.
  • Adventure Y is almost certainly going to be a standalone game, not an expansion, although this is so far unconfirmed.
  • Adventure Y will use the same game engine and D&D ruleset as BG:EE and BG2:EE.
  • The game will feature new voice acting from some of the original cast, including Jimm Cummings (Minsc, Gorion), Jennifer Hale (Dynaheir), and David Warner (Irenicus).
  • The size of Adventure Y has been described as larger than Tales of the Sword Coast, but smaller than Throne of Bhaal.
  • Going by word count, the scope of Adventure Y (almost 500,000 words) will be a somewhat smaller than Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (573,247 words).
  • You can import your BG:EE save, and after finishing the game, export it to BG2:EE.
  • If you import your save from BG1, your NPC party comes with you, otherwise you'll have the option to be given a default party based on your alignment.

There is some other, more spoilery stuff that I chose not to include here.

The game's director, Phillip Daigle, had "leaked" some phone camera screenshots on the BG forums, which he has deleted later. Luckily some of them have been preserved by fans for posterity: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... st-3683142

We'll see if we'll have more information available in 11 days. There's been talk of a trailer, so we'll probably see one.

Personally, I can't wait to hear new voiced lines from Minsc. I imagine the first time that happens is going to be a tearjerker moment for me. :happy:
Last edited by Adul on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adul
Warden

Re: The next Baldur's Gate game

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:16 am

Awesome. Can't wait.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby fable2 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:28 am

I've got friends who think it's a joke pushed out quickly now that D:OS and PoE have been great successes. Me, I'm neutral, like Switzerland.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Adul » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Well Adventure Y has been in Beamdog's plans (publicly) even before BG:EE was released, and that was almost 3 years ago now. Although if I recall correctly, back then it was rumored to be a BG:EE expansion, so this classic RPG renaissance might have contributed to the decision to make it a standalone.

The comments I've read from the game director and other devs over at the officials make me believe they understand what made the original BG games great, which is also supported by the fact that some of the same people have been central contributors in the modding community for over a decade, clearly showing how much they care for those games. I hope they've managed to successfully replicate the BG standard of quality in Adventure Y, or at least got close.
Adul
Warden

Postby fable2 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:49 am

As long as they get it all right, it could be both a great addition to the renaissance of truly great RPGs, as well as beautifully timed to cash in on that. Would also be a big neon alert sign to indies and game industry companies alike that no, RPGs are not dead, and can in fact be big sellers. With affection, work, and talent.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Adul » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Alright, the countdown is over and we have a game title, a trailer, and a bunch of new information on what the game will be.

http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/

The trailer, with all the overwhelming glory that is Jim Cummings in the role of Minsc:

New information:

BG:EE expansion with 25+ hours of gameplay.

Story starts 2 weeks after you defeat Sarevok, the Grand Dukes send you north to Dragonspear Castle to end a holy crusade led by the warrior known as the Shining Lady.

Dragonspear aims to combine BG1 exploration, BG2 iconic locations, and IWD art focus.

1 new class: Shaman, a spirit summoner with druid spells.

4 new NPCs, along with NPCs returning from BG:EE.

It seems the original NPCs get new voiced lines and new soundsets as well.

Improved UI with some ease-of-use features like health bars, improved journal, and easy-to-navigate character record screen.

Multiplayer remains a feature.
Adul
Warden

Re: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

Postby Adul » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

These are all the official screenshots as of now. A little bit of the old stuff, plenty of new stuff.

My main takeaway from this is that Beamdog's area art has improved a lot since BG:EE. Some of these new areas actually look quite gorgeous.
Adul
Warden

Postby Dlichnum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:57 am

:frustrated: Wow, that was bullshit. I expected a new game, a new story, something really meaty to sink my teeth into, something that didn't have to do with the exact same bhaalspawn we've been playing for almost twenty years already!

I can put that on the list of shit I won't buy. Sucks that Beamdog still won't go and make a new game.

Sick of Bhaalspawn, but I love the world. I'm just ready to be somebody new now. :sad:

Edit: that's what I get for not actually reading the first post, eh? :facepalm: Still, I really had my hopes up for a true new adventure.
Dlichnum
Journeyman

Postby Adul » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 am

I would argue that if the story had nothing to do with Bhaal's progeny, then the game shouldn't be called Baldur's Gate at all, because that's what all the Baldur's Gate games have been about. Of course, you could be a different Bhaalspawn, or maybe a character or group of characters who are essential to the Bhaal storyline but are not Bhaalspawns themselves. Still, I feel all that would be ultimately pointless as we all know who wins that lottery. There have been some interesting ideas about Gorion and the Time of Troubles, Harpers, etc. but why tell a story we already know the ending to and therefore have no real agency in?

As for a completely new game by Beamdog that has nothing to do with BG, I have my reservations. That would mean they'd move on to a newer D&D edition (if D&D at all), and would likely need to make a new engine. It could be good, but they could also screw it up. At least with the Infinity Engine and AD&D 2nd Ed rules I know they have a good foundation. But if their engine turns out like Pillars of Eternity, for example, then they start with a crippling hindrance because then the gameplay sucks. The game could still be good, hell, PoE is great despite its shortcomings, but it would have been better if they had stuck with what they know works. That's always the safest option.

Plus, you know, Minsc and Boo help. :biggrin:
Adul
Warden

Postby Dlichnum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:35 am

Eh, Icewind Dale had nothing to do with Bhaalspawn. And I could make the opposing argument that since Baldur's Gate is a place, one could tell whatever story they wanted there. We could have a game set 100-1000 years after the Bhaalspawn's story, so we might hear a rumor, or read a mention in a book, but otherwise, that story is done and gone, time for a new tale.

Then again, did Baldur's Gate 2 even have anything to do with Baldur's Gate? Wasn't it literally in a different country? I admit, I never finished it, but still. . .

And you wouldn't even have to update the ruleset or engine either. Just tell a new story.

Adul wrote: but why tell a story we already know the ending to and therefore have no real agency in?

You mean, kind of like a new expansion game set between two games that have been out for 15+ years that were recently remade by Beamdog? Kind of like that? :whistling:

:mockery:
Dlichnum
Journeyman

Next

Return to 2D & 3D Games