TESO. I'm Scared.

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: TESO. I'm Scared.

Postby Adul » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:40 am

So. I've heard the news recently that ESO is doing away with the subscription fee on March 17th. I think this was inevitable in an age where you can buy and play much better MMOs without coughing up a monthly fee. Once the subs are gone, I think I might revisit the game to see if the recent big updates were successful in making ESO any better, or at least somewhat fun to play.
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Maybe this means some creep will be waiting after we finish chargen to take all our stuff and kill our characters..?

Or.. that we have to spend our real time dollars to get the good equipment?

-edit-
Oh yes did you have to download 60 gb of stuff to get the game working? That would take me more than one week -lol-
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby Adul » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Yes, it does need to download quite a lot of data, I think well over 10 gigs. I'm currently trying to download it, and it's edging along with the horrendous speed of 18 KB/s, which is not due to my connection but due to a problem with their service. And it seems it's still impossible to download half the data and continue after a restart. It just starts over, which is rather ridiculous in this day and age.

Spirited Treasure wrote:Maybe this means some creep will be waiting after we finish chargen to take all our stuff and kill our characters..?

You don't need to worry about this one, because I don't think there's any involuntary PvP in this game unlike a lot of older MMO's. Fortunately, that's one concept MMO developers have realized had to go.
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:30 pm

One dear to me said he saw an update for that TESO that was 25 gb?

Spirited Treasure
Defender

Postby Adul » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Hmm, it's difficult for me to decipher what's the total size of the game from this downloader. If it comes down in the next year or so, I'll be sure to check the size of the thing.
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:44 pm

25 gb update is rediculous.. I totally lost interest when he figured it would take one week at my dsl speed..(for the game 60 gb)

Spirited Treasure
Defender

Postby Adul » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:21 am

Okay, I've found the game installation folder. I was a bit confused there, because the launcher installed in a separate folder from the game itself and all I was finding was the launcher's folder. I haven't yet completely downloaded the game (there's still about 3 gigs left to download - I'm rooting for the launcher not to crash and start over), but so far the game data takes up 45 GB, which is quite a lot. Larger updates could certainly take many gigs of bandwidth to download as you said, ST.

To be fair, the latest update was a big one, and I'm fairly optimistic to see some improvements in the game due to it. They've added the option to commit crimes against NPCs and implemented a justice system that I believe is fairly innovative as far as MMOs are concerned. I've yet to see it in action, though. And perhaps most importantly, they claim to have improved combat animations. The last time I played the game, the combat felt super "MMO-floaty", and you don't want your combat to be dull and lacking impact in a game where that's your players' primary activity. Fighting in TESO kinda felt like playing an MMO from ten years ago. From what I've seen, they tried to address that issue in this update.
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:56 am

Combat in TES games has never been very good.. I prefer Dragon's dogma.. Dragon age.. Or any other game really -lol-
TES feels like I am randomly swinging in hope of maybe hitting something at some point.. It has not changed much.. Since Morrowind.. I guess it feels more.. loose.. worse.. more random in Skyrim.
-It sounds like a huge download.. I hope you make it through.

Spirited Treasure
Defender

Postby Adul » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm

Yeah, I agree, combat never felt good in TES. In Morrowind I can get over it more easily, since the fights are more rooted in RPG mechanics, e.g. on-screen combat is just a light-weight visual representation of the stat-based numbers game that goes on underneath. Lots of random numbers. But in the case of subsequent TES games, they tried to make each title more and more geared towards action gameplay, but they forgot to implement proper feedback mechanics to accommodate such. And I think since Oblivion, with the implementation of Havoc physics, even character movement feels a lot like you're gliding an inch above ground and never touching it. This was the case in all Bethesda games since then that I've played, even the Fallouts. Skyrim was improved in first person, but third person (which is more my style) remains super-floaty.

So I guess Zenimax Online did manage to approximate traditional TES combat mechanics when they developed TESO. :mockery:
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:52 am

Fallout had it bad that the character never felt connect to the ground.. Just sort of gliding on top of it.. At this point I can just wish that they would have better combat but I seriously doubt they will.

Spirited Treasure
Defender

PreviousNext

Return to 2D & 3D Games