Pillars of Eternity

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: Pillars of Eternity

Postby Adul » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:45 pm

New trailer:
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:11 am

And the big date: March 26th
Adul
Warden

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:12 am

Looks cool. :biggrin:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Jac » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:12 am

I'm glad they took their time with this, hopefully there won't be many post-release bugs to squash.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby soap » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:32 am

Oh Man this looks Amazing- I really wish I had more time for games. I'm very happy it looks so good, hopefully it's even more amazing then it looks.

That trailer was very effective, 2 thumbs up.
photobucket sucks... need to upload a new sig.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Postby Adul » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:21 pm

So, PoE has been out for about two weeks and I've only recently gotten around to playing it, despite even my massive excitement for this title. Time is just hard to come by, nowadays. :rant:

I haven't played it a whole lot, I've just gotten through the first dungeon crawling and exploration bits and arrived in the first village, but so far it's been an amazing experience. The game feels so much like Baldur's Gate and so new at the same time it almost brings a tear to my eye. :happy:

In particular, character creation has been very impressive. You get 11 distinct classes, and 6 races including 15 subraces, and almost all of the subraces get their own separate meshes and head/hair options. You also get culture options, background options, attributes, skills, feats (or whatever they're called in this game), spells, and active class abilities. A lot of these options influence not just your combat capabilities, but also your ability to pick various dialog options and participate in various scripted events in the game.

It's like an Infinity game on steroids, which makes me very, very happy. I mean, I love Baldur's Gate, but back then your fighters had no abilities other than the click-on-monster-and-watch-monster-die thing. Today, that in itself would be considered inadequate gameplay. I'm glad they had taken the good things and expanded on them. That's the right way to do something like this.

Hats off to Obsidian, I'm glad I had backed this game. :bouncy:
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:05 pm

This looks good. Have you played it?
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby Adul » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Spirited Treasure wrote:This looks good. Have you played it?

Haven't really had much time to play it since my previous post, but you can read that to hear my first impressions. So far, the game looks amazing.
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:17 pm

If there's one thing I love about PoE is its focus on lore and characters. It feels more like Planescape: Torment than Baldur's Gate, in that aspect. Your party of misfits will have very distinct personalities, each representing a part of the in-game world and reflecting the thoughts of its people. You may end up traveling with a psychopathic inquisitor, if only to pick at his brain and hear his own take on the world. And in turn, he might pick at yours. You might find yourself agreeing with him on more than you would think. Or you could take with you a student of history, whose cheerful surface hides the guilt of running away from a nation being torn apart by rising traditionalism. You have plenty of choices, but you cannot take them all. Not in a single playthrough, anyway.

Some of my favorite moments so far were when I learned about a relic called the Godhammer. Supposedly, it was a weapon that was used to end a war and kill a god - or perhaps a man claiming to be a god. Not sure if there's a clear distinction there. One of my followers described it as a divine artifact of great power, another referred to it as a bomb. Once again, I'm not sure if either of them had the truth of it, or if they both did. It's hard to tell, sometimes.

And that's precisely the sort of thing that I love in a game.
Adul
Warden

Postby fable2 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:20 am

Adul wrote:If there's one thing I love about PoE is its focus on lore and characters. It feels more like Planescape: Torment than Baldur's Gate, in that aspect.

You have got that 120% correct. A poster stated in another forum that he felt as though he'd been dropped into the middle of a world where he knew nothing, and it left him hating him. i responded that this was exactly what I liked so much about Morrowind, and later, about PS:T. PoE has that. You feel like a newcomer, someone who knows what others do through long association, much less the secrets you have to ferret out of your surroundings through association. It's a sink or swim situation, and I for one infinitely prefer it to a kidde AD&D universe where dwarves always speak with Scottish accents and live underground, etc. It challenges me at a level that simple puzzles or heavy combat doesn't, and in a way that's more true to the whole idea of roleplaying.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

PreviousNext

Return to 2D & 3D Games