Pillars of Eternity

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: Pillars of Eternity

Postby Jac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:38 pm

I finally got this installed and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. Thanks again for the game, Adul. :goodjob:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Adul » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 pm

You're very welcome, Jac!

Which reminds me, I should get back to actually finishing the game. I suppose having way too many good games to play is a great problem to have. :happy:
Adul
Warden

Postby Jac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Yep. Could be worse: you couldn't have any good games to play. :scamper:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Dlichnum » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:30 am

I acquired this game recently, and have tried to play it. Unfortunately, after 8-10 minutes, it causes my computer to hard crash to that weird midpoint where my tower is still "on" but my screen is dark and nothing works so I have to manually restart. Roomie says its a CPU overheating problem from that description, which is weird, since I play older games modded out with no problems. This game doesn't seem that graphically demanding.

Have you guys experienced that and do you have any suggestions? The five seconds of gameplay made it seem interesting, though I was getting really big Wasteland 2 vibes from the prelude scene.
Dlichnum
Journeyman

Postby Jac » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:19 am

Oh yes, I've dealt with overheating. It's usually caused by one or more of the following:

1. A build up of dust.
  2. Clogged or blocked fan filters/intakes.
  3. Clogged CPU fan.
  4. Malfunctioning CPU fan.
  5. Not enough space around the intakes for proper airflow.
  6. "Spaghetti" cabling inside the case.

To fix the dust issue, use a can of compressed air or an air compressor and gently blow out the dust in your case using short bursts of air. Make sure you get every inch you can, especially the CPU cooler and the case fans/intakes. Wash/replace any dirty filters and make sure there's at least 2' of room by every intake/exhaust port.

You should be able to check on the status of the CPU fan in the BIOS. If it doesn't show a reading, then the fan could be bad or unplugged. Check to make sure all of the fans are fully plugged in.

Spaghetti cabling is a bit trickier because if your cables are all bunched together, they can stop air flow. The only way to remember that is to try to move them apart and behind or around the motherboard. I use thin cables and a PSU that has thin cables and they really help with airflow. Off-hand I'd say it's just a dust issue because those are the most common and easiest to fix.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Dlichnum » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Nice, that worked perfectly and I got to play.

Man, this game's just a roller coaster ride from the very start, eh? You know the game's good when you are literally going "wtf?!?!?!?" out loud every few minutes. :scared:
Dlichnum
Journeyman

Postby Jac » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Cool. Here's a guide I found useful, but the authors aren't native English speakers, so expect some...strangeness to their grammar. I'm glad you got the game working, D. :goodjob:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Jac » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm hoping the 2.0 patch is released soon, I really, really, want that party AI. :whistling:

Jac
The Boss

Postby Adul » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Yeah, I got weary micro-management real fast. I have to wonder how that will work, though. Will we be able to assign different scripts like in BG, or even create our own? Or will every party member just do... something, with the spells and abilities you gave them?
Adul
Warden

Previous

Return to 2D & 3D Games