Torment: Tides of Numenera

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby Adul » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Brian Fargo and inXile Entertainment have announced their crowd-funded game project Torment: Tides of Numenera a few days ago. The developer team describes their future product as the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, and indeed, it seems very similar in concept and design. Some of the development team helped create the Planescape campaign for AD&D and/or the original Planescape: Torment.

Here is the game's announcement video:



And a link to their website: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/



I, personally, am exploding with excitement over these news. PS:T has been my most beloved game since its release back in '99, and I fully trust these people to create something truly special in its footsteps.

And what ultimately and instantaneously convinced me that this project may indeed be the best thing in the entire world was the news that Mark Morgan will be composing the soundtrack. Now, I'm not a religious fellow, but that man I worship. :biggrin:

I mean, come on:

User avatar
Adul
Warden
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby Jac » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm a bit leery of anything Obsidian does, but I probably shouldn't be given that their past games were buggy because of the publishers not allowing them the time and resources to properly fix them. That being said, the Planescape world is rich in detail and can certainly support more than the one story. Here's hoping they can pull this off properly.
User avatar
Jac
The Boss
 
Posts: 5987
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby Adul » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:49 pm

This new game won't take place in the Planescape campaign, though. I'm a bit saddened by that fact, because that is my favorite RPG campaign, but right now it's in the legal abyss of Hasbro. Still, there's reason for rejoice, because Tides of Numenera will take place in Monte Cook's new campaign, Numenera, and he's one of the guys who have originally designed PS. He's been around for quite a while and his body of work is quite incredible, so I'm fairly sure he will do a magnificent job with the setting.
User avatar
Adul
Warden
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby fable2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Fargo doesn't rate a plus from me: he was the guy who signed off on firing the P:ST team after that game only sold moderately well, and their followup PS:T 2 didn't look like it would make money. He was just aiming to get ever bigger in the gaming industry. Don't hold that against him, but it didn't make me jump with excitement.

The project right now has almost no info. I'm certainly interested, but only in getting the details. I'm neither hopeful nor disappointed. Just waiting. ;)
User avatar
fable2
Wolflore Staff
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby Adul » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 am

fable2 wrote:Fargo doesn't rate a plus from me: he was the guy who signed off on firing the P:ST team after that game only sold moderately well, and their followup PS:T 2 didn't look like it would make money. He was just aiming to get ever bigger in the gaming industry. Don't hold that against him, but it didn't make me jump with excitement.


Can you elaborate on that, please? I've been trying to find info on what you're speaking of, but was unable to. As far as I know, the PS:T development team only dissolved with the closing down of Black Isle in 2003, and that was well after Fargo left Interplay and the company was taken over by Titus. In the end, I couldn't find anything that made me think Fargo was to blame. Moreover, Chris Avellone endorsed his involvement in the reboot, and made it clear that he thinks Fargo's faith in the original PS:T was the reason the game got to be made.
User avatar
Adul
Warden
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby fable2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Adul wrote:
fable2 wrote:Fargo doesn't rate a plus from me: he was the guy who signed off on firing the P:ST team after that game only sold moderately well, and their followup PS:T 2 didn't look like it would make money. He was just aiming to get ever bigger in the gaming industry. Don't hold that against him, but it didn't make me jump with excitement.


Can you elaborate on that, please? I've been trying to find info on what you're speaking of, but was unable to. As far as I know, the PS:T development team only dissolved with the closing down of Black Isle in 2003, and that was well after Fargo left Interplay and the company was taken over by Titus. In the end, I couldn't find anything that made me think Fargo was to blame. Moreover, Chris Avellone endorsed his involvement in the reboot, and made it clear that he thinks Fargo's faith in the original PS:T was the reason the game got to be made.


I should have been clearer. After PS:T was released in 1999 the team was immediately assigned to a followup. But PS:T then sold only moderately well, rather than being the cash cow Fargo hoped it would prove, and under his watch, before he left in 2000, the project was killed. I heard as much from lower placed members of the group, at the time. They were then assigned to TORN. When they complained about the way they were being ordered about by people who had no interest in the game, they were removed from that and fired, though that was under Titus' watch. (I know Feargus Urquhart has a different tale to offer, but he's a good company man, and I've heard him provide cover for management for too many things it didn't deserve. Plus, members of Maldonado's team have strongly and bitterly disagreed with him on this.)

In retrospect, BIS was over-extended by the mid-90s. I attended several E3 conventions in a row where they were in attendance every year, and the size, sheer number of PR people, and isolation of Fargo grew each time. (Another freelancer joked that he was turning into Charles Foster Kane--a reference to the film Citizen Kane, and its zealous, highly personable young newspaper publisher who gradually walls himself off from everybody and loses his integrity as he climbs higher and higher.) They were putting out a good number of expensive titles. Fargo had taken on Baldur's Gate after it was first taken on, and dropped, by two other companies. (I saw it when Virgin America had it, right before BIS. They had a working demo of Minsc running down a street and into an inn doing nothing but repeating over and over, "Butt kicking for goodness!") He grabbed it on the rebound for comparatively little expense and with much of the work already done; it and its successor were huge successes. So I suspect Fargo saw PS:T as the means to fund BIS out of its large hole, which explains his early enthusiasm. When it didn't do as well as he thought it would, but only proved a respectable hit, he killed its followup. I"m sympathetic to his dilemma, but if he believed in PS:T so well, I can't help thinking he would have believed in its successor when it had only a fair showing, instead of a golden one.
User avatar
fable2
Wolflore Staff
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby Adul » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:58 am

Thanks, Fable2, those are some very interesting insights. It's also interesting how PS:T had a followup planned, because I thought that story was complete and a self-contained unit. But perhaps they wanted to tell another tale set in Sigil.
User avatar
Adul
Warden
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby fable2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 am

Adul wrote:Thanks, Fable2, those are some very interesting insights. It's also interesting how PS:T had a followup planned, because I thought that story was complete and a self-contained unit. But perhaps they wanted to tell another tale set in Sigil.


I heard it featured the Nameless One again, with some other returning cast members. He began ensconced in one of the hells (presumably, a Lawful one). Would give a lot to know more details, but my contacts have drifted away over the years.
User avatar
fable2
Wolflore Staff
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby Jac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Shame. A sequel might have been fun. :sad:
User avatar
Jac
The Boss
 
Posts: 5987
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Postby fable2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Jac wrote:Shame. A sequel might have been fun. :sad:


Hell, yeah. I can only speculate based on the two conversing devils in that tavern early on in the game what the team might have made of the various creatures the NO would have faced, and what sorts of bad/bad alternatives he might have taken on to learn his lessons and get back to somewhere better in the strange universe of Planescape.

I really need to see if I can find Guido Henkel, P:ST's producer. I interviewed him once, when he was already pretty bitter about the way Interplay was treating his team under Fargo's tenure, and he had plenty of dirt to throw. I'm sure he kept in touch with the other team members that I've lost contact with, and can pass along some content info on the followup.
User avatar
fable2
Wolflore Staff
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Next

Return to 2D & 3D Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Advertisement