Neverwinter Nights: Remarketed Edition

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Neverwinter Nights: Remarketed Edition

Postby Adul » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 am

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/neverwi ... ition.html

From the FAQ:

What does Neverwinter Nights coming to Beamdog mean?

Beamdog will be continuing development of Neverwinter Nights as Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. In addition to all the features already included in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, we have created a home for the Neverwinter Nights community on our forums and our support team welcomes feature suggestions, bug fix requests, and player comments to help make Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition even better.

What does this new Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition include?

Content

The original Neverwinter Nights campaign
Two expansion packs: Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark
Three premium modules: Kingmaker, ShadowGuard, and Witch’s Wake

Features

Improved Display: Your portrait, combat bar, inventory, and other UI elements adjust in size based on your chosen resolution including 1080p and 4k.
Advanced Graphics Options: Pixel shaders and post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field options as preferred.
Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.
Backwards Compatibility: Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.
See the pre-order Release Notes for more details.

Don't know if you've noticed, but half of those features aren't features.

Beamdog's last release, Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition barely had enough new features over the original game to warrant calling it "enhanced" as far as I'm concerned. This newest one, however, I think pushed that boundary too far—there's barely anything there. I wouldn't call this "Enhanced Edition", in fact I wouldn't even call it a rerelease. What this is is a game update with some quality of life changes, sold at the price of a full game.

I fondly remember the days when the Enhanced Editions had new original content. There certainly has been a decline in the amount of new features players can expect out of a Beamdog title lately. Here's a handy little chart I made to help illustrate this:

ee_features.png

But the price points of these recent titles somehow failed to adjust to this perceived lack of invested work on Beamdog's part.

What's the opposite of feature creep? Feature leak? Feature I'll do it later? Feature stop bothering me and just buy the damn game already?
Adul
Warden

Re: Neverwinter Nights: Remarketed Edition

Postby Fenrir » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Features:
1. It looks pretty goood, I guess?
2. You can make it look even better too maybe
3. Kinda sounds like the Creation Club, almost, hmm...
4. It's still the same game so everything that worked with the old one works with this game, that's a feature

IE: "you like this game right? give us money pls"
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Return to 2D & 3D Games