TESO. I'm Scared.

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: TESO. I'm Scared.

Postby Jac » Thu May 04, 2017 2:48 pm

They re-released Skyrim to test out the engine they're using for FO 4. But I wouldn't mind seeing a MW remastered as well.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Drakkmore » Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Adul wrote:And you're right, it does look very much like a Morrowind remake. In fact, as I watched the video, I caught myself wishing that the same people who made those models and textures would put their work into an actual HD rerelease of Morrowind. But, I guess as far as Bethesda is concerned, rereleasing games they made only 5 years earlier is more important. I can see why, as there's definitely less work involved in that.

Truer words were never spoken typed. I just can not understand how they can ignore the game that saved their company, when with out that game there wouldn't be 5 year old games by them to remake. :chinscratch:
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Lushen » Mon May 08, 2017 11:49 pm

Jac wrote:They re-released Skyrim to test out the engine they're using for FO 4. But I wouldn't mind seeing a MW remastered as well.

Unfortunately, I recall watching an interview with Pete HInes where he had mentioned they were aware of the requests to do other ES games. The direct response was:

Oblivion is 10 years old, so the amount of work for that engine and that tech to bring it and remaster it and do all the things we wanted to do was significant. It's not impossible, but it was mounstainous. It was either like, go make an entire new game or do Skyrim.

It would be interesting to see how people who have never played Morrowind would have reacted to an HD and updated physics version of it. If you want a good facepalm, you can read the reviews of Morrowind on steam and observed as a bunch of idiots fail to recognize that Morrowind is 15 years old.
Lushen
Associate

Title: Nostalgic Overload

Postby fable2 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:10 am

Lushen wrote:It would be interesting to see how people who have never played Morrowind would have reacted to an HD and updated physics version of it. If you want a good facepalm, you can read the reviews of Morrowind on steam and observed as a bunch of idiots fail to recognize that Morrowind is 15 years old.

This. I think quite a few of us here recognize Morrowind as the best thing Bethsoft has done to date. An HD version, in all other respects identical to the original, should sell well, since the design is excellent and unknown by modern history-less gamers.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Adul » Sat May 13, 2017 1:02 pm

fable2 wrote:in all other respects identical to the original

This here is key. RPGs in general, including Bethesda titles, have become considerably less complex since the "golden era", on the coattails of which rode Morrowind. I often imagine that if Bethesda actually made a Morrowind remake today, they'd likely design a gutted version to suit modern gaming sensibilities - one that has all the original locations, quests and characters, but barely any of the gameplay complexity to support them. But perhaps I'm wrong, it doesn't really matter - this is pretty unlikely to happen to begin with.
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm

My curiosity got the better of me and I went and bought the ESO Morrowind expansion. Here are my first (and possibly last) impressions.

I activated the code, and then fired up the game after not having visited it for quite some time. First off, I was pleasantly surprised that the Morrowind campaign is self-contained. You can start a new character in it without having the slog through the rest of ESO first. Then, I was let down by how bland this game still is - nothing really changed there. It still is what it is: a mediocre MMORPG made for commission.

I spent a few hours going though the beginning part of the game, and so far I visited Seyda Neen and Vivec city. Just about the second thing you as an outlander fresh of the boat get to do is waltz inside Vivec's palace and chat up the immortal warrior-poet. It's part of the main quest and everything. :facepalm:

I couldn't help but notice that Vivec is surprisingly plainspoken this time around, compared to his TES3 appearance...
vivec.png

The new Vvardenfell landmass seems to be quite a bit smaller than it was in TES3, and it seems to have fewer dungeons and other points of interest sprinkled around, but more monsters roaming its wilderness. Still, even with this reduced level size Zenimax couldn't manage to allow a decent viewing distance setting. Here's a shot from Seyda Neen towards Vivec:
seydaneen.png

For comparison, here's a shot I made at the same location in my modded Morrowind:
seydaneen2.png

Keep in mind that the distance between Seyda Neen and Vivec is about 3 or 4 times as long in TES3 as it is in ESO.

The towns look nice, but this game suffers from the same disease so many other modern games do, what I like to call "detail fatigue syndrome". Every design has so much detail that everything starts to look the same. There's no distinction to make between simplicity and complexity when complexity is all you have. This I think is a concept that a lot of visual artists in the video game industry need to have a better grasp on, including the ones employed at Zenimax.

But that's enough of my ramblings for now. Needless to say, I'm not impressed.
Adul
Warden

Postby Adul » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm

I played ESO some more, and my fascination with this game continues to grow. I even found some redeeming qualities. Here are a few of those:

• Some of the soundtrack is actually quite good.
  • Taverns are surprisingly atmospheric, with a nice fire burning and bards playing songs you can listen to while you kick back and enjoy a break from adventuring.
  • The crime system they added in one of the early post-release patches is very interesting, I haven't seen anything similar in a modern MMO. You can attack, kill, and pick the pockets of most of the NPCs you see on the streets, though a lot of NPCs like merchants and quest givers enjoy immunity from these actions. You can break into and trespass in locked homes, rob houses and stores, and you can sell or launder stolen goods through fences in outlaw hideouts, which are found in major cities. If the guards find you, they react to you according to your bounty and heat levels, which may involve you paying a fine and handing over stolen items, you going to jail, or a death sentence (if they can catch you). Guards are invincible and actually quite dangerous if they come after you. All in all, I think this is as good a representation as possible of a typical crime system you can find in a Bethesda game. For an MMORPG, that is.
  • Some of the post-release DLCs seem to be designed magnitudes better than the original game. (This makes me think the original release was rushed and the devs didn't have enough time to make it good.) I have played through the entire Thieves' Guild DLC and the early parts of the Dark Brotherhood DLC, and they're both pretty good so far. In fact, these are the only parts of the game I've seen so far where it actually lives up to the name "Elder Scrolls Online", as these quest lines are pretty close to faction quest lines you can come across in Oblivion and Skyrim. They have interesting storylines, memorable characters, actually good dialog, and so on. The area design of the cities and wilderness in these DLCs is also very noticeably improved compared to that of the original areas. And the best part, these DLCs utilize the crime system I've mentioned earlier, so their gameplay is far more interesting than the otherwise middle-of-the-road MMO combat this game almost exclusively offers.

And I'm not sure if this is a positive or a negative note (though I'm leaning towards negative at this point), but if you have a misanthropic streak like I do, damn if this game doesn't reinforce your distaste of other humans at every turn! Other players steal your loot all the time. Treasure chests, ore nodes, alchemy plants all have a single use and disappear as soon as any player takes them. And they stay gone for a long time. I'm not sure why they designed them this way, but this unfortunate behavior makes PvE player competition a very real thing. Every time I see another player in this game when I'm out adventuring, I wish them gone. I just want them somewhere else, far away from my loot.

Oh, and this is just a silly thing I've noticed, but apparently most of the books you find in other Elder Scrolls games are actually ancient, because they're also around in the ESO timeline. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the writers in Tamriel, but for some reason, eight centuries isn't a long enough time for them to produce a body of work worth consuming by the public. Go figure.
Adul
Warden

Previous

Return to 2D & 3D Games