Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

2D & 3D games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Postby Adul » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Hey everyone, long time no see! :wave:

I've come bearing good news for my fellow fans of the tactical CRPG:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire

My main hope is that we get a similarly well-developed continuity between the two Pillars games as we did with the BG series. That is, imported main character, continuous leveling, and satisfying high-level content. It would be great to have another CRPG saga with the same dedication to long-term character progression, which is one of my favorite aspect of BG. I'm not a fan of the Mass Effect copout of reducing you to level 1 at the start of each sequel.

Update: They're using the deleveling copout. Oh well. The game could still be good regardless, this just means I won't be enjoying it as much in the coming years and decades as I could have otherwise.
Adul
Warden

Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Postby Fenrir » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Well, if nothing else, now I want to go back to the first game and finish it. This one looks interesting, though, I look forward to it.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:12 am

Yup, I've also just went back to it, as I've never finished it. I haven't played the expansions either, which I'm curious about.

So what ended up happening is I updated the game, installed the expansions, started 3 new characters, and now I'm going to bed. Hopefully my next attempt will be more productive. :meshoot:
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 am

I still have to reinstall the game, not a single clue why I deleted it but whoops.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Jac » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:01 pm

I finished it, but never did finish either of the EPs. I started the first one, but got bored with that character before the 2nd came out. I may go back to it eventually if I can tear myself away from FO 4.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby soap » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:35 pm

I probably should play Baldur's Gate before I play the first Pillar of Eternity :blink:
That's what happens when too many games interest you, you play what you can.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Postby fable2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:12 pm

What is the "deleveling copout"? Do you mean they somehow reduce your characters in level for the new game?

Because each to their own, but I much prefer starting fresh. I recall some addon for NWN 2 that gave me a starting party with extremely high stats and powers from the beginning--and all I could think in combat was, "It's a game of my nuclear bomb is bigger than your nuclear bomb." Got rid of the game. I can understand other points of view, but for me, the challenge of using very sparing abilities and spells is part of the fun.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Adul » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Here's the thing. The reason why it bothers me when developers delevel my "imported" characters (and especially when they do so with some hackneyed story explanation) is that it's a way for them to avoid putting in the work, and a way for them to present me with rehashed content from their last game. That is, content that I've already played. They're the ones who lacked the necessary foresight to create a character progression system that could be continued into a possible sequel, and now I'm the one who's going to take the hit from their poor design decisions and replay gameplay content that I've already been through.

Compare that to what BioWare did with Baldur's Gate II, who not only made an entire new character progression system for higher levels, allowing you to take your already high level characters and progress them into brand new tiers of power, but they also made their combat better in the process. The combat in BG2 was more tactical, more dynamic, and more engaging than BG1, and this was because the developers did not say "good enough" and slapped the character progression system they already had into the game, but forced themselves to redesign the system for higher level characters and in doing so, they managed to create a better system altogether. That's how you make a great sequel.

Meanwhile, games like PoE II do not put in the necessary hard work, instead they cut corners by presenting us with the same character progression system we've already gone though. This sends the message that the character progression in these games is inconsequential. You're better off not being engaged in leveling up your character, because you'll just end up going through the same levels at some point in the future, making any work or thought you had previously put into it ultimately pointless.

If they want us to restart, I say make it a proper restart and make us start a new character altogether. Deleveling our existing characters is a half-arsed compromise that shines poorly on the game, its story, and its dedication to the genre.
Adul
Warden

Postby fable2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:05 am

We will just have to agree to disagree. :) For me, getting each of BG1's spells had a much greater impact on my tactical gameplay, then all the varied and powerful spells in BG2. How to make deleveling work from a roleplaying standpoint, now, that's another matter. And a difficult one.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Return to 2D & 3D Games