Question: Proper DDS File Format for Morrowind Textures

If you need help for projects, mods, or development, post it here. No adult content, please.

Re: Question: Proper DDS File Format for Morrowind Textures

Postby Jac » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm glad you got it figured out, DARoot. Now how about some pictures of your hard work? :biggrin:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby DARoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks, Jac
But, wouldn't a picture of a .tga Icon and a .dds Icon look exactly the same?
Example:
All of these are .tgas -- the .dds versions are indistinguishable...
And, ALL of them [.dds or .tga] are less than 3kb in filesize.
So, the only real advantage of conversion is to be able to "substitute" and "over-write" the original texture, without having to edit/change anything in the original .esp or the original mesh.
[Nonetheless, I am now very happy to have that option available to me once more! ]

Thanks again!

DARoot
DARoot

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:09 pm

I dunno, but it's my understanding that .tga is more "lossy" that they deteriorate more over time with each time it's saved than .dds.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby DARoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Greetings, Neildarkstar

Oh, you are so right! Try saving a BB skin texture .tga a few times -- it gets real ugly real fast!
[Although, the effect might work for vampires and zombies, or "diseased" creatures...]

I learned that lesson a long time ago, and always do my texture "manipulation" with .bmp files.
[For Icons, that's usually screenshots, and they're .bmps to start with anyway.]
Then, when they are "ready," I save 'em as .tgas, and then apply the Alpha-channel if needed.
So, my .tgas only get saved once (or at most, twice).
I think I'll try out the GIMP "DDS Plugin" that Gagatek provided a link for, to see about editing .dds files directly -- assuming Windows Vista will let me install it.

Incidentally, I understand you are interested in "Special Characters" that can be used in MW Dialogue, specifically, Topics.
[Hey! This is MY Forum Thread, so I get to wander "off-topic" if I wish].
I've never seen a definitive list of what symbols can or cannot be used in Dialogue, but I've noted that in the Companion Mods on my hard drive, I've seen many different ways of "setting apart" their special Dialogue Topics, all of which seem to work fine. Some examples:
-Report Health
- Report Health
- Report Health -
-- Report Health
--- Report Health
*Report Health
*** Report Health
-*- Report Health
_Report Health
@_Report Health

This one happens to be my favorite format for Companions - neat, tidy, distinctive:
* Report Health *

However you, as the Mod Author, always get to decide...

Happy Modding!

DARoot
DARoot

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:57 pm

That's exactly what I was trying to find out, thanks! I like the idea that my companions will have reserved topics at or very near the top and sorted, but I didn't know what characters could be used to accomplish that besides dashes. I want it to be distinctive, so it stands out a bit in case someone is using special slaves or those mods that just copied the dash style.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby tealpanda » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks, that's useful to me too. I always use .tga files for icons because I couldn't get the dds files to stay transparent using the GIMP plugin. But I guess I just have it set wrong :)
tealpanda
Journeyman

Previous

Return to Help Wanted