Help - Screenshots & Modding Doors

If you need help for projects, mods, or development, post it here. No adult content, please.

Help - Screenshots & Modding Doors

Postby Daria » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:54 am

So yeah first post and I'm already begging for help.

I'm reskinning the Dunmer Strongholds and I can't find the texture for the door. Basically it's the exterior doors used in the Hlormaren stronghold. By digging around the construction set I think it's in_strong_vaultdoor00 but I'm not positive. I can't find a base texture to edit. Up until this point I was just changing the textures of another person's mod in photoshop. Kind of a backasswards approach, but everyone's got to start somewhere. - SOLVED

My second problem is that MGE won't allow me to take screenshots. When I go to set up the macros I can either choose an input type or a trigger, but then can't edit any other fields. The options are all greyed out. - SOLVED

Any and all help is appreciated. 9:
Last edited by Daria on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently equipped:
1 Psuedo-Magic Rock
Rubber Ducky
Daria
Associate

Re: Help - Screenshots & Modding Doors

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:36 am

EDIT
Wrong info removed.

Anyway, if you have the construction set disc, you can browse to it there, or you can likely find it in the Morrowind CSA archive. To browse that you'll need a utility like BSA Browser.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... tail&id=32

Okay, one more time... :biggrin:

My previous response was likely insufficient, so...
You will need a utility or two, most likely nifskope and/or niftexture to locate texture files.

Fisrt find which mesh (as you have done), then browse the CS CD to

Folder Meshes> folder D> file in_strong_vaultdoor00
Fnd the mesh "in_strong_vaultdoor00"

Folder Meshes> folder D> file in_strong_vaultdoor00

copy the mesh to your desktop or some convenient folder, then open it in nifskope or niftexture and you will see that the door requires four texturees:

Textures:
tx_hinge00.tga
tx_rustedmetal00.tga
tx_lockbox00.tga
tx_runedoor00.tga

These textures are on the CS disc in Data Files>Textures.

Copy them and past them to wherever you put the mesh, and edit them with the editor of your choice.

Change the ID of your altered mesh and place iot in the data files Meshes folder.

After editing, place the new textures with your ID in data files > textures folder

You will need to use nifskope or niftexture to open your mesh and associate the file path to your new textures in that utility.

Maybe that's more than you wanted or needed to know, but I find it's easier to give full instructions if possible at first and fine tune later than to give a piece of the puzzle and later have to say "Oh yeah, you've also got to..."
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Daria » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 am

Thank you very much. That was actually the perfect amount of information, told me exactly what I needed to know and taught me how to find additional textures for future use.

*exuberant hugs before running off to craft doors at 4 in the morning*
Currently equipped:
1 Psuedo-Magic Rock
Rubber Ducky
Daria
Associate

Postby Jac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Daria wrote:My second problem is that MGE won't allow me to take screenshots. When I go to set up the macros I can either choose an input type or a trigger, but then can't edit any other fields. The options are all greyed out.

Any and all help is appreciated. 9:

Are you using Windows 7 or Vista 64-bit?
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby DARoot » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Greetings, Daria
[And, Welcome to Wolflore -- Have a ducky!]
:ducky:
Just a mild additional comment --
Some mods you may download [and, probably, the Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon installation on your Hard Drive] place some meshes and textures in packed .bsa archives, rather than as "loose" files in their respective directories.
So, if you intend to do a lot of texture modifying, you would be wise to obtain a "bsa packer/unpacker" program [Neildarkstar sort of alluded to that] to add to your utilities, so as to be able to locate and extract files from such archives for editing [browsers only locate].

DARoot
DARoot

Postby Jac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Scratch my previous question unless you have one of those OSes, Daria. To take screenshots, you have to choose function from the drop down list in the lower right - it's the top drop down. After you choose that, then you can choose take screenshot from the drop down below it. I use the PrtScn/SysRq key, but I get that screenshots aren't enabled message. They still work though. :hubba:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Daria » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm

I have windows 7

And nah I know about the screenshots not enabled message, it's just that I can't set up macros... at all. :/

DARoot- Weeee! Duckies! *zoink* MINE!
Currently equipped:
1 Psuedo-Magic Rock
Rubber Ducky
Daria
Associate

Postby Jac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:58 pm

If you have Windows 7 64-bit, you may need to run the MGEUI.exe as an administrator. Also, if Morrowind is in the Program Files (x86) folder, move it to another one. Just create a new folder somewhere other than the Program Files (x86) and move the Morrowind folder to that folder. Mine's E:\Games\Morrowind. When you start Morrowind, it should update the registry keys automatically. If it doesn't, do a search for it and change any that say install path.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Daria » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:21 pm

No, that can't be it. MGE's already running as administrator (wouldn't run otherwise) and my game is set up under C:\Morrowind\

Maybe I need to try an older version of MGE or a spiffy screen capture program.
Currently equipped:
1 Psuedo-Magic Rock
Rubber Ducky
Daria
Associate

Postby gagatek » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:21 pm

I feel kind of... off topic with my warm hellos... Image
a warm hello for you, Daria! I bet you'll like it here! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
_
.-' -,-{@____Enmesharra Refuge____@}-,-`-.
_
gagatek
Journeyman

Title: Dragonmaster :)

Next

Return to Help Wanted