DANGED ARTISTS!

Skyrim and Skyrim mod discussion. No adult content, please.

DANGED ARTISTS!

Postby Elaura » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:21 pm

[rant] Why would a modder, for a single player game, be so intent on their own vision of how things should be that they go out of their way to limit face/head parts to one sex and one race?!? I'm not talking about NPC replacers. Those can be as "lore friendly" and individual as they want, but If I'm going to create my own character or my own mod based on another artists' resources, why do they insist on deliberately limiting each part to one race or another and one sex? There are selections for "every race but beast" and "unisex". If I want my male vampire Bosmer prancing around with an elegant updo and ice blue eyes, why does it matter to anyone if it's just for me? Frankly, I'm not even asking for any special effort at all. If the skin tone or hairline are off, then I can decide whether or not it's tolerable to me.

FWIW, there is even lore to support blue-eyed elves. There is a book that was in the Elder Scrolls games as far back as Morrowind stating that all the humanoid races appear to be able to inter-breed.

So here I find myself, going through hundreds of hair and eye head parts (sometimes twice) to make them all available to every race and both sexes. What a waste of time. I understand artists can be sensitive and want to believe if they are going to do the work, everyone should see it as they intended, but this is for a single-player game. The whole point (used to be) is for modders to help the player see what they wish to see; not for them to go back and limit what Bethesda made to be changed. *sigh* [/rant]

Gnomes_45ea4d_1672526.gif
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Re: DANGED ARTISTS!

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:44 pm

I think a lot of modders see it as self-defense. If they create something that is not absolutely lore-correct, the lore police immediately start dissing the mod in loud bleating tones that grate the nerves. Since a lot of modders want to make mods without the incessant bleating, they make specific, lore correct mods that often are neither as useful nor as interesting as they might have been.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:25 pm

That could be. I think artists in general have a lot of difficulty dealing with criticism, reasonable or not. Not only that, but a lot of modders are young and seek the adulation of others, so they "give the public" what they think they want. Am I remembering the "good ole days" incorrectly when I think of the days we gamers were stick-together geeks, not prima-donna artists?
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:37 pm

I think we always sought a degree of peer approval, but it was different in that (as modders) we were judged on different things. Lore and such were more distant, and instead we were judged more on "How cool is That!" and basics like "does it work? Does it destroy frame rates? Does it add worthwhile content?"

Now we find ourselves trying to deal with a sort of critic's gallery filled with those obsessed with a bastardized version of "political correctness" that I tend to think of as "game correct". You remember Trainwiz? He did those "steampunyish" mods that were so cool (and I enjoyed a lot). I'm not certain he could actually get away with it so easily in today's climate though.

For me as a modder, I was always a bit more concerned that people who used my mods should enjoy them, rather than whether they fit anybodies idea of how the game world should ideally be.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Spirited Treasure » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:30 pm

neildarkstar wrote:I think a lot of modders see it as self-defense. If they create something that is not absolutely lore-correct, the lore police immediately start dissing the mod in loud bleating tones that grate the nerves. Since a lot of modders want to make mods without the incessant bleating, they make specific, lore correct mods that often are neither as useful nor as interesting as they might have been.

What Neil said..
-edit-
It's also the reason a lot of modders stopped releasing stuff except for to a select group.. Sometimes to no one at all.

Hugs Elaura.
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 pm

I made a couple of hundred mods for Morrowind, but I only released a couple into the "wild". The rest were played by family and friends. My biggest successes among the family was one mod that featured a sunken pirate ship, and the ghost of the Dread Pirate Roberts. It also for some reason featured a gypsy woman who danced around a campfire. I've never been quite sure how that got in there... :) Anyway, some people thought it wasn't socially acceptable.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to Skyrim