Nightmares of Our Own Creation

Skyrim and Skyrim mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Nightmares of Our Own Creation

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:55 pm

My character Kaarme had just finished a quest that took her, Lydia, and Morte ( a floating skull companion, and pretty cool, that I'm beta testing for a our friend Jac) to Redoran's Retreat.

With the job done, we headed back to Whiterun going by way of Fort Graymoor. The plan was cross-country to the fort, round the Northeastern corner of it, and get on the road at that point. Things went well until we got to that corner, and then...

Well, there were two wolves just around the corner by the road... but they weren't alone. There appeared to be what I at first took for hunter's just a short way up the road towards the entrance side of Fort Graymoor. There really wan't much point in our interfering, but I thought "What the heck", and hit the first wolf an ice spike.

The wolf, I'd suppose a little surprised, turned and ran straight back towards the hunters while the second chose to charge my little party instead. I saw one of the hunters in fur armor loosing arrows at the wolves, while the other wearing iron armor was chasing the first wolf around with a mace.

Hilarity ensued,as the wolves suddenly turned, crossed the road headed in the general direction of Whiterun, with the two hunters in close pursuit. As the four of them neared the top of the short rise on that side, a sabrecat came charging over the top, and flew into the middle of them.

Lydia and Morte immediately flew to the attack (though I'm not certain who they were attacking) with Kaarme following close behind, when Kaarme took an arow right in the butt! Angrily, she turned with a "What the hell" look on her face, only to realize the arrows were coming from the archers on the towers and walls of the fort. There sure seemed to be a lot of them...

Kaarme turned and ran toward the fighting crowd at the top of the hill, that being now one sabrecat, two wolves, two hunters who were suddenly recognized as bandits, Morte and Lydia. What a mess! An arrow flew by Kaarme's head, and she muttered "Right turn Clyde" as she veered off to the South having sent another ice spike towards what she hoped would not be Lydia or Morte... Suddenly, the air was filled with arrows, some from the Fort's walls, and more from furtherup the road towards the South.

I'm sure the look on her face was priceless as roughly ten various instances of bandits appeared in fornt of her, with perhaps six of them loosing arrows at her. Quickly changing course one again, Kaarme turned Easterly, while galncing over to check on Lydia and Morte's position. Unhappily, they were quite a long ways off North, but it seemed the two wolves were dead, and the sabrecat fell as she watched. Her view was a bit obstructed by an arrow that suddenly appeared stuck in her hood, and more whizzed by as she turned her attention back toward the direction she was running.

Trying to think clearly, she thought maybe the only real safety around might be the Western Watchtower and getting some guards into the mix. She'd almost made it to the ruins of a small house, when a huge orc wearing a blacksmith's apron hit her a tremendous blow with an enchanted Orcish greatsword that nearly put her on her knees.

She spun around while casting "Fear" at the orc, and was gratified to see him run back off Westwards toward the fort... unfortunately, she seemed to be the target of choice for all of the remaining bandits, and literal flocks of arrows came at her from them. Taking cover behind the ruined fireplace, she cast several instances or fury at the bunch of them, but couldn't really tell whether she actually hit any of them or not. She was soon rewarded by cries of fury from that crowd, and looking to see what was going on, she was immediately hit by a lightning attack from a bandit who apparently thought he was a mage.

Kaarme staggered back out of the line of fire and into the ruined one-room house itself, only to come face to face with that orc and his greatsword once again. She dual cast ice spikes at him, then zigged her way past him at a dead run. As she passed, he hit her, and she was suddenly slowed as if she were in a big tub of honey. Knowing she couldn't out run him this way, she turned and hit him with fear again.

Looking Westward down the road, she watched as the orc run past his his buddies, just as Lydia and morte impacted the mob of bandits. She again used Fury on the bunched up bandits, and soon there were ten dead bandits scattered around the area, killed by Lydia and Morte, or each other. The orc in the apron was down on a knee for a time, then stood and calmly walked back into the fort. Lydia and Morte ignored him, and hurried over to join her.

The thing is... Kaarme had no idea what was going on, but about halfway through this battle something ahd started to click in MY mind as the player. You see, this was all my my fault, more or less. A year or so ago, I had wanted to try to play a bandit character. So, I had turned Fort Graymoor into my private hold. I'd added particularly deadly bandit archers to the walls, a really nasty mage bandit to the courtyard, and placed a smithy inside the Eastern wall tended by a huge essential orc. Inside the keep itself was many more bandits, a fence, and my gangster's "Moll" companion. Yep, I'd just nearly been killed by my own damned creations. :)

Normally, I kept this mod deactivated unless I had a specific playthrough in mind, but I'd recently deactivated and had deactivated several mods. I'm guessing when I restored these mods to active, this one got into the mix without my realizing it.

So, has anything like that ever happened to you? Have you faced monsters of your own creating when you weren't expecting too?
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Re: Nightmares of Our Own Creation

Postby Dlichnum » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Yes, in fact. I made and shared a mod that turned dogmeat in Fallout 3 into a giant cat. So in my game I was running around with a 205 year old ghoul cat (A long-lived survivor of a zoo that quickly ceased to exist during the war.) I was playing with realism tweaks, so I was hurting. I was bleeding out, weak, could barely carry my own armour, and dragging my body along, when the blood loss became to much for me, and I collapse, blacking out. With as much health as I had, I should have came back to. Instead, I heard a loud crunch, then my last save reloaded.

Considering I was completely alone, the only thing that could have attacked and ate me was my ghoul panther. At least he acted like a real cat would in the situation, eh?

(Disclaimer, no, I am not 100% certain that's what happened. After all, a simple model replacer should not have edited dogmeat's AI to the point he attacked me, but eh. Funny scenario either way!)
Dlichnum
Journeyman

Re: Nightmares of Our Own Creation

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 pm

Yeah, that's a classic... :biggrin:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to Skyrim