Dirty Retextures

Skyrim and Skyrim mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Dirty Retextures

Postby Fenrir » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:11 pm

So, I know how to just change the color of a texture in Skyrim. But how would one go about making it dirtier?
I mean, what would be the optimal things to do to something?
Or, is there a way I can make an item use the textures from another item?
I've got some sort of "Bandage" armor that I love on my rogue, but the textures are way too clean for some tough, adventuring rogue.
I'm not an artist. I can barely draw a straight line. So, I'd appreciate some tips on how to make it look dirtier, or how I can just take the textures from the Linen Wraps or Arm Bandages from vanilla skyrim and import them onto the modded thing, make them fit.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Re: Dirty Retextures

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Depending on your software, making things dirty is not very hard. It has the advantage that you don't really need to be artistic. If you're using GIMP for instance, find your texture and load it up in GIMP. then you have some options. You can simply gray out the whole thing to start with by using the color tool to "desaturate" it, then just select a color, and grab a brush from the tool bar.

You should see someplace a small window that offers options to spray on things like sots, leaves, or stars and such. find one of those you like, select a size for your brush, and just spray on speckles and splotches. You'll probably wnat to turn transparency to something like 70 to 90 percent so you bandage will show through the dirt or blood or whatever.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Re: Dirty Retextures

Postby Fenrir » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:00 pm

I'll give it a shot. All goes well, screenshots of Ra'Tsavi with her new outfit will follow.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Return to Skyrim