Name the PnP RPGs you have played

Let the games begin! Adult content. All Forum Rules apply.

Re: Name the PnP RPGs you have played

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:21 am

``I can't remember the name of it, but I once played in a campaign where the players were all dragons. It was okay at first, but it kinda devolved into a qwagmiagh...
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby MadocMayhem » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 am

Oh man.. yes had to look it up, council of Wyrmms.
Saw it way back but never got interested, being uber never has been a thing in fantasy for me.
Well powerful and all powerful, but twisted and flawed at the same time, Planescape was good for this, lots of gods and powers but always something new to experience and catch you out.
Won, to, free, eye sore a monk key on a tire.
MadocMayhem
Supreme Court Jester

Location: If I said under and over, around and through, up and down. This way and that, would you believe me?
Title: Sir, Lord, Hey you!

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 am

Yup, that's what it was. I was never into the uber myself, I like to play a character that had to think just to stay alive. That one created more tension and dissension among the players than anything we ever tried. Friendships almost ended, and one family member still hasn't forgiven another one. I was just happy that I managed to stay out of the crap.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby MadocMayhem » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah games are really messed up like that, what was the setting like though?

Edit: sorry got way off topic.
Edit: grammar.. Kelsey Grammer.
Won, to, free, eye sore a monk key on a tire.
MadocMayhem
Supreme Court Jester

Location: If I said under and over, around and through, up and down. This way and that, would you believe me?
Title: Sir, Lord, Hey you!

Postby Infamous » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:51 pm

D&D 3.5
D&D 4
Call Of Cthulhu
Unhallowed Metropolis
Vampire the Masquerade
Pandemonio
Paranoia (including a homebrew called "The Paranoia Of Cthulhu" that one of my friends thought up last Halloween)
Cryptworld
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Shadowrun
Infamous
Associate

Title: Lord

Postby Raym » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm having a blast running a campaign with Legend of the Five Rings with my friends.

It's not just the exotic setting, it's a really different way of playing an rpg. And as a master, I find the setting to be a bottomless mine for inspiration!
I don't have a dirty mind. I just have a sexy imagination.
Raym
Lurker Extraordinarie

Postby Ghostwolf » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Update: Dc Heroes and gangster. I'm looking for TSR's Boothill or Dawn Patrol to complete my collection.
I am a shrubber, keeper of shrubbery. Please take care of thine own shrubs as I am quite busy shrubbing all over the place.
Ghostwolf
No Prize Winner
No Prize Winner

Title: Master of Shrubbery!

Postby Fenrir » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:45 pm

I only played one during highschool. The DM was kind of a stiff though. Got all pissy we were playing around. Don't remember the name of it, but I do remember playing a werewolf that successfully head-butted a meteorite.
Would love to try one again, but never got the chance to.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: A Stray

Postby Drakkmore » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Fenrir wrote:I only played one during highschool. The DM was kind of a stiff though. Got all pissy we were playing around. Don't remember the name of it, but I do remember playing a werewolf that successfully head-butted a meteorite.
Would love to try one again, but never got the chance to.

HA There are a LOT of DMs that are that way. The problem with being a DM is that you can plan for years to get the right story out of your gaming sessions through to the end of your campaign, and have every contingency worked out,and plotted for. Then you add in this really unpredictable element to your carefully planned out creation just to have every possible little tiny thing that you tried to plan for become irreverent because this unpredictable element that you've added to your campaign will never EVER do what you've got planned for them. Sometimes a DM has to rail road this element into doing what you want of them. This then leads to players (yes that's the unpredictable element) becoming spiteful, and sometimes even not enjoying the adventure that they have created for themselves out of your years long planned campaign. On the other hand as players see it the DM Railroading them into doing it his way is an act of tyranny, and they will go out of their minds to do what ever they can to ruin all of the DM's carefully laid plans. The key is to try different gaming groups until you find one that meshes pretty well with your idea of what a gaming session should be like. Myself I had a great group when I was between 22 - 35. Sadly some members of the group moved away, while the remaining members tried introducing new players to the group. Some of these new players did well with the group others did not. As a result our group sort of drifted apart. The original members of the group tried to stay together gaming online. Tuesdays, and Fridays we would log into DDO to sit around playing D&D through the internet instead of using our RL dice, we used DDO's built in dice rolling system. We never actually did any DDO quests, or anything we all just sat around one of the taverns, and used the in game group voice chat system to play table top D&D. After a while though we stopped doing that too, as families grew, and such things as job responsibilities took over what ever free time everybody had left.

My group would trade of GM duties after the successful completion, (or total failure) of each campaign. This also helped keep us entertained, and prevented stagnation with in the group. I remember one time after nearly three years of planning one of our group members (with great excitement, and glee) announced that he was finally ready to unleash his newest campaign against us. He handed out Newly designed character sheets, and explained the changes he had made to him to fit the "New Realm" that he'd dreamed up, explained to us what we should expect with the history,god pantheon, social structure, creatures we could expect to encounter, etc. After creating our characters we were all ready to go, and a mere three sessions into the campaign the DM was throwing fits, yanking on his hair, and out right cursing every players entire family lineage due to the fact that we did absolutely nothing that he had planned for us. By the end of the campaign his entire realm was in shambles, and on the verge of collapse. We still had a good time (except maybe the DM, though i suspect he was enjoying it by the end too.), but we failed to save the world, and failed miserably in the DM's expectations of what the campaign was going to be like.

One thing I will caution against though when searching for a good group is that if you are a stickler for the printed rules of any such games that capture your interest, then you ought to really try to find a group with similar minded fellows in it. Likewise if you would rather take the advice that was printed in the AD&D 2nd addition Players hand book, or the Dungeon Masters Guide, that the rules supplied with in those books are merely guidelines, and not the final say in anything related to your games (certainly not set in stone), then you will likely not find any enjoyment playing with those that are sticklers to the rules. Either way you need to find the group that you will have the most fun with. My group was of the latter set of people. We used most of the rules, but found that there was something where we would rather adjust the rules to our own style of play. Likewise we would add rules to the books where we thought hat they were lacking (my original DMG, and PHB were filled with edits, notations, and crossed out bits that we felt needed to be there).

I will leave you with this, as it seems to fit with this post perfectly.
Rocks Fall Everyone Dies.jpg
Something Positive.

p.s. Remember while gaming:
1) It is the Dungeon Master's job to actively try to kill the players off to the best of his abilities with out actually out right doing so. Encounters should always be just slightly beatable, with near impossible boss fights where applicable.
2) It is the players responsibility to foil the DMs plans in this respect.
Also the players should always push the boundaries of the information given to them by the DM. There is always something left hidden, and unsaid by the DM.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Spirited Treasure » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:49 am

Been rpg with One dear to me online for more than 13 years. No dungeon master , he says it's not the same.
Before that rpg online Gor. Have played Beware too. Online.

We play medieval England. Circa 1600.
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing