Name the PnP RPGs you have played

Let the games begin! Adult content. All Forum Rules apply.

Re: Name the PnP RPGs you have played

Postby DARoot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Only D&D and AD&D RPGs

Don't get me started on tabletop miniatures wargames, however...

DARoot
DARoot

Postby Ghostwolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Miserina wrote:Hmm...

D&D 3.0, and 3.5. Not 4.0, but Pathfinder looks pretty nice these days.

My ideal system is GURPS, and it's the one I host the most. I've also played some of the World of Darkness set, mostly vampire ones.

I really like Paranoia but I don't really know anyone else who plays. A friend of mine really loves Shadowrun and keeps trying to get a game going, but there's never enough interest. We've done shadowrun themed GURPS games though.

I had tried to set up a session at the old site but no one was interested. It's actually hard to find a network with it as most are dedicated to D&D 3.5, NWOD and GURPS
I am a shrubber, keeper of shrubbery. Please take care of thine own shrubs as I am quite busy shrubbing all over the place.
Ghostwolf
No Prize Winner
No Prize Winner

Title: Master of Shrubbery!

Postby MadPauly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Oooh, P'n'P... that brings back so many memories. Started with the red box Basic D&D back around '84, then 1st Ed AD&D not long after, around the time the first DragonLance modules were released. Moved on through RuneQuest II and III, Call of Cthulhu (which remained a perennial favourite), a bit of GURPS and Paranoia (oooh, nice link to Morrowind there, since that was another Ken Rolston one) and MERP, as well as RoleMaster and SpaceMaster (last three all by the same company). I played a little WHFRP back when it was *the* RPG to play, though never really got into it and eventually reverted back to RQIII for my fantasy roleplaying. I bought D&D 3E back around 2001, though never had the chance to play it.

I've also dabbled in V:TM, Ars Magica, MegaTraveller and 2300, as well as Star Wars and a raft of lesser-known games (Bureau 13, Living Steel, Phoenix Command, Sengoku).

Sadly I haven't P'n'P gamed for over 10 years now, though I've constantly worked on my own RQIII-based world during that time, a world which I started to develop back in the late 80s. Who knows; perhaps one day I might actually *do* something with the vast amount of scribbled crap I've accumulated :biggrin:
MadPauly
Associate

Title: Generalissimo

Postby DARoot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 pm

The very, very first RPG game I ever played was "Ultima III"
I still remember it fondly ...
[Except for the "starving" messages I invariably got in the boondocks ...]

DARoot
DARoot

Postby Sister » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 pm

D&D 3.5
Shadowrun
Cyberpunk
Das Schwarze Auge (The Black Eye, a German PnP)
Sister
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Title: laboratory animal

Postby Ghostwolf » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:29 pm

To be honest I don't think video games was the only reason why PnP rpgs aren't as popular anymore. The Golden age ended when Wizards of The Coast bought TSR and things have slowly descended since. So far of the AD&D series I like 1st edition the best though my game is more like 1.5 with a few rule sets from 2.0.

During the Golden Age there were Gen Cons everywhere and it wasn't very hard to find a group of gamers as long as there was $$ for pizza and drinks there was a game. Those were the times :|

Back before Enmesharra hosted Wolflore #3 XIII had a forum for NWOD based rpg, later he came to Wolflore and started another one. In the end we attempted a live chat session and though it ended due to a lot crap going on, to me it was both a learning experience and a success in that some of us (EJ and myself) had a good time playing. Enough with the nostalgia already.

If there's anyone out there who still loves AD&D 1.0 & 2.0 and wants to collect everything. You'll have to ebay any books or torrent the pdf's as Wizards no longer has them available for download and/or purchase. They still own the copyright but they no longer market them in any form at the moment and thus they are now considered Abandonware along with several other games TSR made.
I am a shrubber, keeper of shrubbery. Please take care of thine own shrubs as I am quite busy shrubbing all over the place.
Ghostwolf
No Prize Winner
No Prize Winner

Title: Master of Shrubbery!

Postby MadocMayhem » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:28 am

D&D a long time ago, mostly Planescape and Ravenloft.
Call of Cthulhu but mostly for reading and rules, which I still love but have no longer.

Tabletop I'm a huge GW fan, Skaven, Undead, Chaos marines. Sadly been a year since last played and there is an actual GW in the same town up the road a little ways.

Just time and inclination have rather drained, plus money.
Thanks Ghostwolf for the pdf's as I still have my original Planescape sets, but missed out on a lot, or sold off settings like Darksun.
Won, to, free, eye sore a monk key on a tire.
MadocMayhem
Supreme Court Jester

Location: If I said under and over, around and through, up and down. This way and that, would you believe me?
Title: Sir, Lord, Hey you!

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:34 am

I really liked Ravenloft, though I never played it as it was intended. A lot of the storylines and characters and such were used as resources. Same for Darksun, but I wasn't as fond of that.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby MadocMayhem » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:49 am

No Darksun was very limited, very barren setting, I think if you had the mindset it could open up.
Kind of has a dark fantasy light bondage theme that could open up nicely to online playing in certain groups.
City lords, defilers, balance and power, tribals, a bit like a fantasy FO in some respects.

Yes Ravenloft had huge potential, the madness, the dark control, really anything could be used and played with. It was fun and twisted.

The last Ravenloft handbook had a domain taken from Darksun. One with a fantasy, horror tragic romance tied to it, always wondered how that could play out.
Won, to, free, eye sore a monk key on a tire.
MadocMayhem
Supreme Court Jester

Location: If I said under and over, around and through, up and down. This way and that, would you believe me?
Title: Sir, Lord, Hey you!

Postby tealpanda » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:09 am

Original D&D, AD&D 1
AD&D 2, including Greyhawk, Al Qadim, and Ravenloft. Played a bunch of the classic modules like The Ruins of Undermountain and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.
AD&D 3, AD&D 3.5.
Pathfinder
Paranoia
Wheel of Time

I've run games in AD&D 2, 3, 3.5, and Pathfinder.
At cons I've run a 3.5 game where the players were all baby dragons. I also sent a group to Candy Land once. :)
tealpanda
Journeyman

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing