Fallout's writers are hacks.

Fallout 3 & Fallout: New Vegas game and mod discussions. No adult content, please.

Fallout's writers are hacks.

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:40 pm

I will update this later, as I'm working soon, just putting this here so I remember when I get home. Just everyone do some homework, look into when the X-01 power armor suits, or Advanced Power Armor, were first put into use, and I'll get back to this later.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: A Stray

Re: Fallout's writers are hacks.

Postby Jac » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:07 pm

Consider them a homage to the original games. :mockery:

I've long stated that Bethesda couldn't write themselves out of a paper bag. What they do well is create sandbox worlds modders can play in and create wonderful new experiences. Just look at their companions: they've only written one decent one to date (Nick Valentine), and even he's a bit one-sided. If it weren't for modders, I would have stopped playing TES games with Morrowind.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Adul » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:20 pm

I often wonder what happened to Bethesda's writers. At some point they could write characters like Vivec and Dagoth Ur. At some point, they crafted the most complex, challenging, thematically consistent narrative I've ever seen in a video game.

What happened? Did they die? Were they fired? Did they die in a fire?

We'll never know.
Adul
Warden

Postby neildarkstar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:24 pm

To tell the truth, I kinda liked Ada better than Nick in some ways, but her repetitive guilt trip over her lost companions combined with inconsistent remarks about my char's state of dress or undress soured me on her. I just have to share this with you though... I found the perfect companion in FO4! REALLY!

You have to take Ada with you to confront the mechanist, but other than that, what I did was to create my own robot companion. I gave him (her?) a sentry bot head, an assaultron torso, and robobrain treads for legs. The arms were various laser and flame weapons, and it could carry tons of junk and loot, but here's the important part... I gave him/her a dark male robot beep voice. Which meant, while he/she often made noises at me, I never understood a word of it! I could give commands, have her pick locks, or hack terminals, stay or be dismissed, and NEVER, not even ONCE noted a repetitive piece of dialogue.

I never had to look back to see where he was, she kept pace perfectly and if she vanished, she always turned up immediately on fast traveling. If it was given the mr Handy thruster, crossing deep water was no issue at all, but with the treads, she'd turn up on the far bank in just a few seconds... and I never once worried about whether he liked or disliked an actin of mine at all. Perfect!
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:46 pm

And now I'm home. So, everyone did their homework? Advanced Power armor, or X-01 power armor, saw first use in the mid 22nd century, 2150-something I believe. Created by the Enclave, after years of extensive research. This is a known fact, established deep in the lore. It explains why the Brotherhood never used that armor, they didn't know it existed until they encountered, of course, the Enclave. Advanced Power Armor is a post-war invention. We know this.

So imagine my surprise when I find a custom X-01 power suit in the ruins of Nuka-World. This isn't levelled loot, mind you, this is a special suit of Quantum-infused X-01 power armor, made by Bradberton himself in the year 2076 in collaboration with the US military as part of Project cobalt. Bradberton writes about it in his own personal terminal.

You had one job, Bethesda, one job.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Elaura » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:11 am

Awww, did those meanies bweak your wittle immersion, Fen? :lol:

Seriously, I know how you feel. I don't tend to get caught up in lore consistency as much, but when I see a misused word, modern vernacular in a period game, or worst of all, a spelling mistake in a published game my brain tends to leak out of my ears. Now, if you want to talk about one job, that's what copy editors do! That is what they get paid for!

However, as a writer myself, I know how difficult consistency can be. I have one brain, one universe and a lot of "ink on paper" in the form of notes and I still can't keep all the details straight. I really can't imagine having multiple universes to write for, picking up something after it has already been in massive circulation for years, and then having to depend on other people to write their part, all on a deadline.

You can blame Bethesda for letting it out the door, but keep in mind, the writers are people, they are working a job 9-5, and haven't exactly been studying the FO universe as closely as maybe someone who has been playing it since before they had hair down there.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:14 am

I never really paid much attention (mostly because I almost never used power Armor), but I found a set of X-01 just the other day. I don't remember where it was exactly, but it was certainly in the commonwealth proper... That character had never even been to Far Harbor or the Glowing Sea, and certainly not to NW. I think she was about level 30 at the time.

@ Elaura
I tend to agree, and to add to what you've already said, there is the issue of more than one writer trying to write the same story...
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Fenrir » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:09 am

I mean, don't misjudge my reaction, I'm not actually angry. It's just such a silly thing that is so easy to get right. Five minutes of research into the game they're writing for, or one other person saying "Uh Bob I thought those things weren't around yet", problem solved. It's such a silly slip up.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Elaura » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Fenrir wrote:"Uh Bob I thought those things weren't around yet", problem solved. It's such a silly slip up.

This is what should have happened. Rather than blame the writers themselves, I blame the fact the companies have no experts anymore. They don't see the point in paying for quality control. From spelling mistakes to lore consistency, it's like they just don't care about putting out the best quality product they can.

You know one game I haven't been able to find a single spelling or consistency mistake in? The Witcher. They've put out three installments, plus DLCs and haven't made a noticeable screw-up, not even in translation. So, clearly it IS possible.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Fenrir » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:02 pm

I guess I just wish they cared as much about making the game as the fans do about playing them. As soon as I saw that armor, I knew something was wrong, and I dedicated time to look into it, in-game and outside of the game, just to be sure, because I love the series. Blaming people is an overreaction, yeah, but I'm still disappointed, I suppose.
Fenrir
Defender

Next

Return to Fallout Series