Thinking of an Oblivion Install

Oblivion and Oblivion mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: Thinking of an Oblivion Install

Postby fable2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:05 am

jaxawier wrote:But maybe better if I keeped my mouth shut,and I used the dc-versions of it linked above.

Not at all. If you feel differently from me, speak up, by all means. :)
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby jaxawier » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:22 am

fable2 wrote:Not at all. If you feel differently from me, speak up, by all means. :)

It is two sides of every coin,haven´t made a stand about it,don´t need to,but it looks like a lot a drama about the whole thing when I look at it from the outside,so I get him somewhat but hopelessly over the top the whole mess :shrug:
As for leaving the community, he is at uesp as juli 2011,with link to his "enginering guild" or whatever,so he is at a very small part of the community at least :)
http://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18638
jaxawier
Retainer

Postby fleet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I picked up Oblivion at a yard sale for $1. I'm going to try it out after I release the updated adult version of Arnie and the Hitchhiker (should be ready for release Sunday,).
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby Jac » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:22 pm

The Game of the Year version, Fleet, or just Oblivion? The former comes with two expansion packs: Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. I'm sure you'll have fun with it regardless. Talk to Donkey if you need mods. :hubba:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby fleet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Jac wrote:The Game of the Year version, Fleet, or just Oblivion? The former comes with two expansion packs: Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. I'm sure you'll have fun with it regardless. Talk to Donkey if you need mods. :hubba:

I think it's just Oblivion.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Properly modded, Oblivion is a good game. Unmodded, it's a little lame, especially without Knights of the Nine or Shivering Isles. Some of the mods are difficult to get working properly, but Wrye Bash makes it easier. You can use the Oblivion Mod Manager by itself, but things go better on Wrye (sorry, couldn't resist :) ). and you'll likely want OBSE as well.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby fleet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 pm

neildarkstar wrote:Properly modded, Oblivion is a good game. Unmodded, it's a little lame, especially without Knights of the Nine or Shivering Isles. Some of the mods are difficult to get working properly, but Wrye Bash makes it easier. You can use the Oblivion Mod Manager by itself, but things go better on Wrye (sorry, couldn't resist :) ). and you'll likely want OBSE as well.

I'm unfamiliar with Wrye Bash and Oblivion Mod Manager. If I have to download and install a bunch of extra programs because the game is lame without mods, maybe I should just leave it in the box. As I stated before, I've previously avoided Elder Scrolls games because I didn't enjoy Redguard (I had to make a cheat mod in order to get off the ship at the very start of the game). :sad:
I am hoping I can enjoy Oblivion as published, maybe adding a nude mod, if it is easy to install.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm

I guess lame is a matter of opinion in reference to comparing the game to a modded Oblivion. That's not to say you won't enjoy it as is, if you've never tried the modded version. As far as nude mods, Robert's Male Body Replacer (for males if you want) and Exinem's Eye Candy (for females) are easy to install and use. Basically just unpack textures to the correct folder. I would mention that Robert's includes some add-ons like "Beautiful People" that really don't work all that well, so if you use Robert's, only install the Male body of your choice. The problem with the Beautiful People and Vampire add-ons is that eyes tend to vanish unless you use Wrye Bash (and sometimes even then). Check out the readme and the basic Robert's is easy.

I highly recommend the Unofficial Oblivion Patch though, simply because it fixes numerous glitches and bugs.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Symon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 pm

On the whole, I can't disagree much with what's been said so far, so I'll cover my recommendations based on my current set up, in no particular order.
* Run BOSS just ONCE to get a basic load order and then manually adjust. Never run it again,
* Use Wrye Bash. Get OBMM only for breaking open OMODs for a manual or BAIN install. Bash is the superior tool (not that OBMM is bad) and the bashed patch is a godsend for tweaking your game to your liking.
* Add Roberts V5 for Males. Decent female replacers would be Roberts, TGND or one of the 'sane' HGEC bodies. All have decent armour/clothing support.
* Use LAME and Supreme Magica. I've never used Midas but have it on excellent authority that whilst not bad by any means, it's inferior to either of those two and you may find the 'humour' grating. My guess has always been that its simple installation is a big selling point when compared to LAME/SM.
* Do look at Integration:The Stranded Light. Whilst not a requirement anymore, The race Balancing Project is good too. Note that I:TSL, LAME and RBP are all by the same modder and very good.
* COBL! Anything by Wrye is excellent. Do look at all his Oblivion Offerings. (http://wryemusings.com/#Oblivion)I adore Wrye Morph and his Shivering Isles add ons.
* Do try to get Shivering Isles if you can. It's so much more like Morrowind than vanilla Oblivion and the quests are miles better.
* Anything by Slof!
* You may or may not like Lost Spires. I found the insistence that I was an 'adventurer with no archaeological experience' really grating. Couldn't they have checked if I'd done the Ayleid sequence of quests? Doesn't that qualify me? Worse, I'd done a lot of 'The Ayleid steps' which also ought to qualify me as an ayleid scholar!
* Never really tried any of the leveling overhauls. Whilst the level-scaling is insane in vanilla, I don't play the game 'to beat it' (ugh) so it doesn't bother me too much.
* Get OBSE and at a minimum the Universal Silent Voice plugin for it.
* Beware of 'beautiful people mods'. Some work well. Some seem to be aimed at making the NPCs look, shall we just say very young?
* The game is pretty lame without lots of mods.
* Many mods (especially armour/clothing) have Nifs with corrupt nodes and oversize, monochromatic textures. Though tedious it can be useful if you can fix a Nif with Nifskope and/or resize a dss from say 2048x2048 to 64x64!!!!

Hope that helps.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.
Symon
Journeyman

Title: Wirrn

Postby fleet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm

This is getting more discouraging. Two folks out of three say it's lame without mods (if I have to install even half the mods on Symon's list to make the game fun, I'll not load it), and neildarkstar tells me that it has numerous bugs and glitches.
fleet
Enforcer

PreviousNext

Return to Oblivion