Help recoloring armors?

Oblivion and Oblivion mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Help recoloring armors?

Postby dansalsman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:04 am

Hey, my name is Dan i'm new here. I found this place thanks to Slof because I was on a hunt for her giger armor. But anyway, I need some help on how to recolor armors for oblivion. particularly one, the male Forestlight Armor. I wanted to change it to a shade of white, just the actual armor parts (pauldrons, greaves..etc.) if that makes sense.Anyone who can help me, i will greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance! :biggrin: :bouncy: PS. This is me right now trying to figure it out - :frustrated:
dansalsman
Associate

Re: Help recoloring armors?

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

You know, that sounds like a simple question, and I thought it would be an easy answer until I tried to write it. Hmmm... I think perhaps the best thing is for you to find some good tutorials to be sure you get everything you need to know. I take you're working in Oblivion? I'd just search for Oblivion retexturing tutorials and see what can be found. Good luck. :)
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Adul » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:43 am

Assuming the armor uses DDS textures (you can find the texture files in the mod's zip archive), you can use Paint.NET to open them. It's a free image editing program that can open DDS textures. Then you can either use Paint.NET to do the required changes, or if you have a preferred image editor, you can save the texture as PNG, make the changes in your editor, then use Paint.NET to convert the PNG back to DDS.
Adul
Warden

Postby Spirited Treasure » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:11 pm

I would use dxt bmp to import it to my psp x2 , then I would duplicate the texture and apply screen to that new layer. Continue duplicating the screen layer until it is mostly white, then save re-import to dxt bmp and save as a new name. Don't forget to duplicate and rename the n map. You will find that as _n.dds. I save mine as dds 3.
I am but a fragment cast apart from the whole.
A bit of flotsam to cling to in the storm.

I am a fly in the ointment, I am a whisper in the shadows.
I am also an old old woman. More than that you need not know.

Step carefully. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut.
-Flemeth, Asha'Bellanar, Witch of the Wilds
Spirited Treasure
Defender

Title: Free Spirit

Postby dansalsman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Thank you all so much! It helped me out quite a bit! Im now using NifSkope to find out which meshes use which textures and than recoloring them with GIMP2. I appreciate the feed back :)
dansalsman
Associate

Postby dansalsman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Also, i think what had me so confused was I didnt know that all i needed to make the changes was image editing software. I thought it was some complex method using some complex program!
dansalsman
Associate

Postby neildarkstar » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:04 am

The reason I suggested catching a tutorial is simply that sometimes changing a texture can be... problematic if it has alphas, and because simply changing the main texture file then changed all instances of that armor or whatever in the game. I always liked to have armor that I didn't see everybody and their dog wearing. :)
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to Oblivion