TES3MP - Morrowind Multiplayer

Morrowind and Morrowind mod discussion. No adult content, please.

TES3MP - Morrowind Multiplayer

Postby Adul » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm

The fine folks who are working on OpenMW have made and released a work-in-progress framework that lets us play Morrowind in multiplayer, called TES3MP. As far as I can tell, this solution uses the OpenMW engine, not the original one.

https://github.com/TES3MP/openmw-tes3mp

Perhaps not all game features are fully implemented yet, and converting a strictly single-player game into multiplayer is certainly not without its issues, but still, those of us who love Morrowind may find the prospect of being able to play this old classic with friends very exciting. For me, it would be a dream come true, for sure.

I have installed it on a vanilla Morrowind setup, and I've messed around with it for a bit on other people's servers, but haven't done much to test it out yet. Once I figure out how to run my own server, then I'll be able to set up a game with mods, which would be even better.

Here's a video that shows a bit of multiplayer gameplay:

Adul
Warden

Re: TES3MP - Morrowind Multiplayer

Postby Adul » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:03 pm

I've been playing with TES3MP quite a bit, both on other people's servers and setting up my own. It's been a great experience, if a bit rough still. I'm not complaining though, I'm playing multiplayer in a game that's never been intended for it.

Other than the occasional crash and some stability issues, a big limitation is that in its current state, TES3MP doesn't yet support player-made enchantments, spells, potions, and player-filled soulgems. You can still create those objects themselves as you play, they will just disappear when you relog, because the servers still lack the functionality to save them. Apparently, though, the next big update will focus on getting these features fully implemented, which would be great. And the creator said they might have that released as early as mid-September.

If any of you want to give it a go and you're looking for a good server to try, I do have a recommendation: I've been playing on a number of servers, but my favorite one is named "Vanilla Morrowind 24/7 | Mal's server", which is a very well-maintained server. The rules make sense, everyone can join whatever factions they like and do quests on their own as well as with others, most quests I've done just worked, and people are generally helpful. The cells are reset every few hours, so if a quest is broken or someone nabs a quest item you need, all you need to do is return after the next reset and you're good to go.
Adul
Warden

Return to Morrowind