Fill me in

The Witcher series game and mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Fill me in

Postby Fenrir » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:19 am

So I finally bought Witcher 3, mostly on impulse.
But I haven't played the first two. Any important story bits I should know going into 3?
Fenrir
Defender

Title: A Stray

Re: Fill me in

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:34 am

Awwright.

I'm not going to ruin the books for you. They are something special.

Geralt of Rivia is a master swordsman who was a bastard born son of a warrior (a swashbuckler, Geralt calls him) and a Sorceress (Druidess, to be specific) and so he is a freak of nature by essence (You become infertile if you play around with Magic). Said Druidess gave him to the brutal Witchers who'd almost kill him more than twice before making them one of them, and then he was found to be so receptive to the mutations that he received...even more mutations, became so mutated that his hair and skin lost all its pigmentation.

He is infertile as well because the mutations and magic messed up his pituitary gland so he can never really settle down, and he can live more than three hundred years (Geralt is 100-106 in TW3, Vesemir is 300+, Yennefer is exactly 100 and Triss for all her idealism and youthful exuberance is more than 40 at the very least). he has brought up brutally, has engaged in various amounts of brutality and is quite immature, so yeah, he engages in sexcapades.

When he meets Yennefer he realises that her immensely well made body and skin (and Boobs) are like a 16 year olds because they are magical alterations, and with his minute power of observation, he figures out that she was a hunchback before she became her raven haired goddess. Still he falls in love with her, and ties his fate to her (with the help of a Genie).

And then they bicker, and quarrel, and cheat each other, because they are both damaged individuals beyond repair. (I cannot condense 100,000+ words in the books for you, go read them) But they live together for a while, have a fight, then a break and Yennefer has been trying all her life to cure the atrophy of her Ovaries so that she can have a child, because it means something to her. And then comes, Ciri, the child of destiny, the one seed of Elder Blood destined not to bloom but to burst in flames, who was destined to Geralt and rejected because he isn't an emotionless monster who takes away an orphaned girl from her grandmother, but she finally ends up with him after everything. She is something more to him than the weight of the world and the sword of destiny.

This girl, Ciri, she finds herself in a monastery to be brought up, after a few months of Witcher training (and to Triss' horror, training even on her periods, which she quickly changes and reprimands the men, who are inept, to say the least about these matters), and then Yen, who is on a break from Geralt, is requested to be her guardian because Ciri is a magical source.

Yen dislikes the girl at first due to her quite silly jealousy because Geralt seems to care about Ciri more than anything in this world.

But then she grows to love her, like her own child she always wanted.

Get me?

And when Geralt and Yen get back together, with Ciri to be safely kept away in the Aretuza magic school away from the prying hands of monarchs who want her for their own ends.

Then Nilfgaard invades, and Ciri is teleported to a desert.

Thus begins Geralt's decade and a half long journey to get his daughter back and keep her away from being Destiny's tool.

You stand between him and Ciri? Better get out of the way before that guy turns you into mincemeat. You harmed her or at least tried to? Well, mate, it was nice knowing you but I don't know you any longer because he is going to kill you and me as well.

Please remember that Geralt is, in essence an anti-hero, a cynic and a pragmatist who tries to be neutral and stick to his morals UNLESS you do something that fucks him, his daughter, or his friends up.

Then he's going to carve you up.

That's a lot to start I think.

Jac, where art thou? Let us teach this ignorant youngster about the world of the Witcher.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby Fenrir » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:51 am

I'm definitely for all of this so far. Thanks for the information.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Fenrir » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:21 pm

So
Is the unicorn fake, or taxidermy?
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Jac » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:23 am

The best place to start is with the wiki, Fen.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 am

Fenrir wrote:So
Is the unicorn fake, or taxidermy?

Taxidermy. That once they broke, then repaired with magic. Geralt hates it though.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby Fenrir » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:45 am

I actually plan to just play the first two games. I'm interested enough in the story, and I bought the first game months ago anyway.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby fleet » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:58 am

The first 'boss' enemy in the first game was impossible to beat, unless you had a special item. Unfortunately, once you reached that boss, you couldn't go back to where you could get that item. :facepalm:
I would have tossed the game in the garbage at that point, but I'd paid full retail for it (over $45 US).
To get the item I had to start a new game. Even then I had to use a cheat to beat the first boss.
I played the rest of the game using cheats (extra health potions). Even though I had to cheat to complete the game, I still enjoyed it (but not that first boss fight). :dwarf:
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby Fenrir » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 am

Well, I got the first game on sale for under $1, so I can't really complain.
Fenrir
Defender

Postby Jac » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Yeah, that first boss was a pita because you couldn't really prepare for the fight before hand. I played through TW 1 once and will never play it again because I did everything I wanted to do in it.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Return to The Witcher Series